Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down my 22/45. Wow! I had heard they were a bear to take down and then get back together. Granted I am no gunsmith but jesus. I really considered taking it to my LGS and having the smith there put back together. Hoping that the more I do it the easier it will get. Thinking maybe of never breaking it down again. Maybe every couple thousand rounds.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
You know, that when you take your firearm to the smith in a box, they charge double?? ;)

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
That depends on how silly your mistake is :) I took my Mini-14 to a smith in a box once and he laughed at me and fixed it for free.
Then you made out like a bandit brotha!! :p

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
That's funny. Been there. Saved myself a bit of money through perserverance.

Read the manual.
Check the online videos.
Post a pic of the parts, this could be fun!

We could have a "help put the puzzle together" thread.... ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
You need to be smarter then what you working on

·
Registered
116 Posts
yea i have the 22/45 its a pain in the ass to put back flip it this way pull the trigger then flip it the other way pull the trigger took me 20 min the first time i ever took it apart and that was after watching a youtube video anout 100 times lol. So yea i feel your pain.

·
Premium Member
127,710 Posts
Welcome to the club! All I can say is that it does get easier each time.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
When I was 14, I took my Dad's lawn mower engine completely apart. Piston, con rod, cam, valves - stripped that sucker Yup, he took it to the repair shop in a box. Was NOT pleased with me AT ALL!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
It could be your gun, not you.

I have a Mark I and two Mark III's. I once timed myself on how fast I could field strip and re-assemble the guns. It was 45 seconds for the Mark 1, a minute 15 for the Mark III (doing the magazine dance adds time).

Now, that's for one of the Mark III's. The other one is a nightmare. Get out the mallet to beat barrel off and to put it back on. I had to make a tapered pin that I use (again with mallet) to align the bolt hole in re-assembly. It can take 10 -15 minutes to do this. Since I had the other guns I KNEW how to do it. But you couldn't prove it by that third one.

As to taking it to the shop and having them re-assemble, you might not get the satisfaction you want. At the shop I bought my two Mark III's no one has the fortitude to pull one down. They Boresnake and slosh Gunscrubber over the internals. When I showed one of the shop owners how to do it (using the one that's not the beast) he just laughed and said it can't be that easy. I then handed my gun to him and talked him through the process. And again, he was bemused. Now, if I had taken the beast gun down, it would have been a different story.

Ask around the shop(s) in your area and see if you can find people who are comfortable in doing the field strip. They may prove to you it's not that tough, or you might discover you have one that's just incredibly tight and it will be a tooth and nail battle.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I find it worthwhile to field strip to do the cleaning. If you blast the internals with Gun Scrubber it's difficult if not impossible to relube some of the areas (unless you want to spray the guts with Remoil, which gets to the YUK factor).

I strip mine (even the beast) every time I shoot. It gives me an opportunity to tell them it's my fault that I can't hit the target, not theirs. They smile back and tell me to hit the range more often.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yep it sucks! The fix is to not take it apart. I never do. I found out in the early 70s when I bought my first Ruger 22 auto. I love the 22/45 it is my favorite pistol that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
As said earlier, hold the weapon upside down to insert the bolt back into the barrell.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It may be a pain, but it is the best way to learn everything about your guns.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I have a Ruger Mark 2 which had never been cleaned in ten years of shooting because I didn't have any of the original manual since bought it used. I got on internet and found site how to do tear down and clean. Yeah I got a little worried first time as you have to have the right dangle to angle to get the lock in place. After watching video again I got it done. The internet is the best thing since sliced bread. Damn I am old.lol but not that old.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts