Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just gonna keep it short and to the point. When u practice with your EDC, what’s an acceptable shot/group?

If I’m practicing multiple shots within 7 yards I use a 4” green sticker on a piece of cardboard.

Outside of 7 yards I throw clay targets on a berm and strive for one shot per clay, with movement.

I do subscribe to the aim small miss small idea. Works for me. Just wondering what others do?

Of course, I thought about this after I got home from the range today. I’ll post my personal results after my next range trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I usually shoot 5 to 7 yds when I'm pacticing with edc's. I'm just striving for minute of man and consistency. I usually don't shouut out much farther than that because edc is generally going to be close quarters. If your shooting someone at 30' was it justified? Just things I think about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Usually do two. paper plate or 5 by 5.5 sheet for center mass 4by 4 for head shots. On a standard silhouette target. And other targets with multiple smaller target options spaced decent distance apart. Normally at 7,10,and 12yards. With a preferred grouping of a large note card or duck tape role for grouping.but consider anything in the paper plate as good hits.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I like small groups. If I can carry a pistol that is reliable and shoots small groups, too, why carry something that is reliable and won't shoot small groups for me?

I have several brands of pistols in the usual calibers in both hammer and striker fired models. So far I've not found anything that shoots like my P07 .40 or P09 9MM (I don't carry the P09, just too darn big to hide) until I got an M&P Shield in 9MM.

I've spent a lot of time/money the last few years buying different brands/models/calibers trying to find/develop loads for guns that will shoot like my CZs. Put a lot of money in a couple for aftermarket barrels/sights/triggers and one of them got fairly close but only with one brand of ammo (Win. 124 grain FMJ NATO).

When I go to the range with one of the other pistols and the newest batch of test loads I shoot at 10 to 12 yards most of the time. Off hand. Single action first shot (if a SA/DA pistol). If I'm having a bad day near the end I'll pull my P07 .40 out of the IWB holster and shoot a five shot group to determine if it's me having a bad day or the new pistol/test loads that just aren't meeting my expectations. So far, only once has it been me having a bad day. If I can't shoot the P07 well then it's time to pack up and go home.

Targets from the P07 with the EDC ammo look like:

This was at 12 yds. off hand after getting frustrated with the loads I was working up for the FNS .40 (4" barrel). 180 grain Winchester hollow points shot the best in of the first 8 or 10 different brands/bullet weights I shot through it so I was trying to work up some 180 grain hollow point loads that could give me similar groups, or even improve on them. This is what was frustrating me that particular day:

Why I like the little 9MM Shield pistols. Nice groups with the same ammo that shoots so well in my 9MM CZ pistols. That same ammo doesn't impress me in the full sized 9MM M&Ps but the small Shields seem to like it a lot. This was a full magazine at 7 yds. off hand.

I know some people claim they can shoot "nice" groups with any pistol and any load. Just not my experience. Nice groups are very dependent on the pistol and ammo.

What shoots the best in my CZ 9MM pistols does not shoot for beans in the XDM and full sized M&P pistols. On the other hand, the 9MM M&P with the most money spent on it shoots Win. 124 grain FMJ almost as good as the CZ 9MM pistols shoot the 115 grain hollow points. But that same 124 grain NATO load doesn't shoot for beans in the CZ 9MM pistols.

What shoots well in my CZ .40's doesn't do well in the M&P and FNS .40's. What shot the best in the FNS .40 doesn't do well in my CZ .40's.

Everyone likes what they like for the reasons they like it. For me the 2nd thing behind reliability is accuracy/small groups.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hi,

When practicing with self defense in mind, my go-to target is a B-8 printed on an 8.5x11 page, basically a B-8 center. I usually use 10 yards distance, also 5 and 7 yards depending on the drill I'm working with. I'm striving for every shot in the black, all the time. Here's why:

For a little variety, and especially when I'm practicing for quick-draw from concealed carry, I use a nearly full size silhouette with an 8" triangle representing center mass and a 3" circle representing critical organs. I also practice head shots.

This is a recent quick-draw practice session using my G-Sight laser cartridge and phone app with the optional timer. I'm practicing at 5 yards in this video:

My marksmanship is not quite good enough to blame any discrepancies on the ammo, the pistol, or the sights. 🤓 ;) :ROFLMAO: Right now, I'm sure I'm still the weakest link. I try my best to practice, perfectly.

Here's a pretty good (for me) B-8 from a recent session, distance 10 yards.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hi,

Are we talking just standing at the line and putting concentrated fire on target, or drawing from concealment using a shot timer?
I assumed "E - All the above" since we train for all contingencies.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are we talking just standing at the line and putting concentrated fire on target, or drawing from concealment using a shot timer?
First shot from concealment. I don’t have a shot timer. Really just what works for you. Not gonna say anyone is right or wrong. Just thought it would be interesting. 👍

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I usually shoot 5 to 7 yds when I'm pacticing with edc's. I'm just striving for minute of man and consistency. I usually don't shouut out much farther than that because edc is generally going to be close quarters. If your shooting someone at 30' was it justified? Just things I think about.
Believe me, my GO TO move is FLIGHT vs FIGHT. To me, I just enjoy the journey of getting good at stuff…..bowling, golf, ping pong, shooting, doesn’t matter.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I like small groups too. Figure that if they shoot good that builds confidence in your equipment. Also under true stress your more than likely not going to enjoy tiny groups. The flat area of a paper plate seems to be a good place to start. But like BigG, I also practice avoidance.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I was going to ask the question same as 835mag..... what's acceptable with EDC just at a range standing straight, slow fire, and at what range... or from concealment.... or in motion.... kind of a lot of difference between being static and using slow, aimed fire at a target, or if training with your edc piece in a dynamic situation with shooter and/or targets moving / awkward shooting positions.

Due to our more recent living situations, nowhere near enough time has been spent at any type of a shooting range / training class, so probably am pretty rusty. However, when static on a firing range, I would like to keep as small a group as possible out to 15 - 20 yards with handgun. And if dynamic training, then usually center mass of body and skull.... "combat effective" shots as my instructor would term them... with best shots being in the inverted "T" between the breast area and up to the skull.

Unless an extremely high volume shooter either competitive or military "top tier" group, I highly doubt that the static range shooting and dynamic would be anywhere near close to same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't shoot much under 10-yards, but I try to stay within a couple inches from 10 to 15 yards when shooting slow off-hand. My Achilles heel has always been speed, and my groups do open up measurably as a approach my fastest draw speeds.

Orange Paint Art Font Painting

14-Yards Off-hand

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

14-Yards Off-hand

Art Font Circle Balloon Petal

Not bad for a Croatian pistol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just gonna keep it short and to the point. When u practice with your EDC, what’s an acceptable shot/group?

If I’m practicing multiple shots within 7 yards I use a 4” green sticker on a piece of cardboard.

Outside of 7 yards I throw clay targets on a berm and strive for one shot per clay, with movement.

I do subscribe to the aim small miss small idea. Works for me. Just wondering what others do?

Of course, I thought about this after I got style home from the range today. I’ll post my personal results after my next range trip.
I had the privilege to train with the local police department and something the trainer said was that in an EDC situation you are in a gun battle for your life! That stuck with me and realized grouping sizes are not as important as I use to think. Time on target with reasonable precision will win the day.
I now train with a rubber dummy and focus on speed and reasonable shot placement. Try training this way, it will help you realize getting shots on target are more important than if you have a 2” or 6” grouping. All the best with your training.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Of course, I thought about this after I got home from the range today. I’ll post my personal results after my next range trip.
Anything that stops a threat is acceptable. Folks relying on targets without threats do not count in life and death

1 - 20 of 28 Posts