Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had and have a Service and a SC respectively. I’m about to buy a new XD that I will get “smithed” for IDPS and IPSC competition. Have heard different things about 4” possibly being more accurate than the 5” barrel do to “no bushing/being unsupported,” therefore being a better platform to build-up my competition gun on.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The XD does not use a barrel bushing, your thinking 1911 here. The length of barrel has nothing to do with accuracy, its the longer sight radius that helps you line the sights up more accurately. If your using it for USPSA or IDPA, get the 5 inch and install a 16lb. recoil spring in it and let Canyon Creek work their majic on the trigger group.

Oh yeah, the XD uses a supported chamber which is VERY desirable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the XD doen't have a bushing, that's my point. I have heard that do to this "unsupported barrel" (may not be the most correct term) that the 4' might actually be better than the 5".

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The 4 inch and 5 inch are going to be the same as far as accuracy goes. A bushing barrel would inherantely tend to be less accurate because the bushing is not part of the slide, its fit to the slide. When the barrel locks up in the slide and slide only, it means less parts to mate together and you get more consistancy. If you look at the higher grade 1911 style USPSA guns, you will notice that most are bull barrels, thus eliminating the bushing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought that was referred to an unsupported chamber? I don't think that is what I was referring to, I'll see if I can find more information that perhaps asks my question a different way and come back. I don't want a lot of energy spent on this if I'm asking the wrong question.

ichy_trigger - I do understand your point about sight radius (everything else being equal), however as to the 1911, aren't the barrels your talking of Bull or coned so as to still have a tighter fit when the slide is closed, thus being supported at two points, the lugs and the end of the slide. I don't know, I’m just asking...

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
ichy_trigger - I do understand your point about sight radius (everything else being equal), however as to the 1911, aren't the barrels your talking of Bull or coned so as to still have a tighter fit when the slide is closed, thus being supported at two points, the lugs and the end of the slide. I don't know, I’m just asking...
You are correct and I do understand your question. For the type of use you are talking about though, you will be well served with the gun you are seeking as long as you stay in production class or Limted-10 or use it for IDPA. Either way, I would go with the tactical (5 inch). Steve Anderson who is a Master shooter in USPSA production division shoots an XD9 tactical. As a matter of fact, most all of the serious USPSA cometitors that I have met that shoot XD's use the Tactical. I think if you choose the 4 inch for competition use, you will at some point wish you would have bought the 5 inch.
This is a picture I took of a target shot with my wifes XD using the stock barrel, granted it is the 4 inch but the 5 inch should be capable of the same. Try renting both at a local range or find someone near you that has both and will help you out.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
35 feet? :shock: amazing

is this from a rest? if not I would consider a try out for the Olympics :shock:

even from a rest, it's still darn good! :shock: amazing

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
That group was fired from a bench with a Doctor optic mounted on the gun. Yes, it was really 35'

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have both and XD-40 Service and and XD-40 Tactical and shooting over a rest they both seem to shoot about the same size groups for me. When it come to shooting on the move during an USPSA type shooting match the extra weight and longer sight radius of the Tactical is really notice and is very nice.

mcb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts