Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot through a few hundred more rounds with a friend. I get to the last shot of one of the magazines, pull the trigger, and the gun fires like normal... but I feel something smack me in the forehead. I'm slightly confused and glance at the gun, set it down and turn around and look at my friend. He's cracking up. I asked what happened and he said that the casing from the last shot flew directly backwards instead of to the right, and smacked me in the head.

I've never had that happen, anyone know what caused it?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Can't say, but the wife rented an M&P 9 at the range last weekend, and it was constantly tossing brass in her face. It's gotta be something with how the ejector is hitting the casings.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more I think about it the more I can't understand how it hit me in the face. I was holding the gun at eye level, and it seemed that the casing hit me almost instantly after firing. It couldn't have looped backward and hit me, it was like it threw a line drive at my face.

Besides that one round, every other shot I've taken from this gun has consistently ejected the cases up and to the right.

I asked my friend how it hit me, he didn't see. He just saw me flinch after the shot and looked at me and saw the casing as it bounced off my head

·
Registered
403 Posts
Were you in a shooting booth? If you were, maybe it did a weird rebound off the side.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Last Thursday was at the range and I found a couple of brass on my left, while the rest were on the right. One particular magazine heard a couple of brass hit my ear muffs on the left side.:???: Shooting a XD service model with reloaded brass.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
The more I think about it the more I can't understand how it hit me in the face. I was holding the gun at eye level, and it seemed that the casing hit me almost instantly after firing. It couldn't have looped backward and hit me, it was like it threw a line drive at my face.
Not uncommon. Generally when a case comes straight back it's because the case ricochets off the front or bottom of the ejection port. If it just happened once I wouldn't even give it a thought. It might have been that your gun moved a little when you fired it that one time. I have one pistol that does it only when I shoot moving to the right because the gun is moving just enough during recoil. I've had to tune extractors and ejectors to get the brass out of my face on a few guns. They weren't XDs but it's still the same process and principle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts