Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That, on it's surface is no big deal.. I go shooting every chance I get.. but today I went to work on an exercises.

The XD has a specific reset.. that is, after firing, if you release the trigger slowly you can feel and hear the pistol reset. The first couple of times I pulled the trigger, without hearing protection (I know.. bad idea...) I kept the trigger pulled tight, then slowly released it until I heard/felt the reset. (after a couple of times I put the hearing protection back in, and found that I could hear/feel it fine with the protection...) I shot about 120 rounds during this exercise.. and think it was a valuable experience.

My finger does not need to completely disengage the USA trigger if I wish to shoot again. It had been my practice to completely remove my finger from the trigger guard after each shot.. which was fudging up my shooting because when trying to reacquire the target quickly I was on target, but my shots were misplaced because of trigger slap. Slapping the trigger for me means low and left.. not good...

I also practiced the same tech. with my ruger 10/22, and had the same results. I was better able to stay on target with better trigger finger placement.. which yielded better shots.

It was interesting.. and I had fun (which is important.)

Raymond

·
Registered
308 Posts
On most semi auto handguns you can feel when the trigger resets. A good way to practice this is by dry firing. The drill is - - - snap the trigger, rack the slide while holding the trigger, feel for the reset as you let off the trigger. With the XD you don't even have to rack the slide all the way. It'll become muscle memory after a few zillion reps that's why dry firing is recommended.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
I pulled the trigger, without hearing protection (I know.. bad idea...)
Not really. If you ever have to draw and fire your weapon on a BG I highly recommend knowing what it's like to fire your gun without hearing protection so the noise does not scare the pee out of you and ruin your aim. BG's are not going to give you the chance to put your shooting glasses and hearing protection on. It's a whole new experience without hearing protection. Just make sure you do it out in the open. Doing this in a building or with overhead cover is not recommended. And don't do it often.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been doing this holding the trigger and then feeling its way back out to the breaking point exercise for a bit now. Took my low left and brought it closer to the goal, although still low left. Now the bottom left of a CP-2 gets destroyed at 10 yards.

My stinkin little .22 NEOS at 20 yards amazes me. 7 out of 10 into 2 inches. Must be the anticipation of the recoil on the 9 that is doing the low left.

ah practice makes perfect...

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
We went shooting today (HXDOG) and when i was shooting i practiced on not letting the trigger fully reset. i would squeeze trigger, let go but not all the way. i was practicing double and triple taps, well, just ask any of the members who are on this board and were there. They asked if i had a trigger job because i was letting the lead fly.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I also played around with learning just how far to release the trigger to reset it. Its definitely good to know.

Now I have not fired my XD-40 without hearing protection yet but last year while hunting groundhogs I let it rip with my 357 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk loaded with Hornady 158 grain XPT hunting loads and my ears were ringing for hours after just six rounds. I will no doubt give it a try for a few rounds later this spring when I get down to the family farm and don't have to worry about the range officer giving me any grief but at the range I usually wear both disposable foam plugs and my shotgun ear muffs.

mcb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts