Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

A few people where I work know I'm kinda a gun guy; it's not too uncommon to have someone come around and ask me questions about a certain gun, or ask what's a good price for something, or see if I'm interested in buying anything.

So, a couple of weeks ago, a guy I work with asked if I was interested in a XD45 tactical...he had one, but decided the whole handgun thing wasn't for him.

I demurred, of course.;)

He then wondered what a good price for one was, since he wanted to get rid of it, and get a shotgun for his son...I told him that anywhere from $400-450 would be fair, and if he wanted to trade it in, expect somewhere around $350.

Well...today he stops by again, said that none of the gun shops in the area offered him what he wanted, especially on a trade for a shotgun (never trade down, folks..you'll always get hosed). Wondered if I had a pump shotgun that his son could use for both birds and deer.

In fact, I did; a fairly beat up, but prefectly functioning Mossberg 500 with both a 28" bird barrel and a slug barrel as well...but I still wasn't really interested in the XD, and it wouldn;t be a fair trade. I told him as much (mentioned that a local chain had the M500 combos for $300 or so). I had--honestly--maybe $150 in the Mossy (iirc, I bought it for $75 or $100, and bought the slug barrel for $50)

He said, flat out...he didn't care, he'd be happy with the trade. He knew he was getting the down side, but that way his kid could have his own shotgun hunting this upcoming weekend.

So he got the Mossberg, 100 rounds of shotshells (high brass #5 pheasant loads), 50 rounds of slugs (Brenneke KO's--good ones that this barrel likes), and $100, and I got an XD45 Tactical. I also bought the first couple rounds of beers when we met after work...

What's that you say? It didn't--it couldn't happen?

Worth 1K words, no?

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
WOOOOOT!! You GO Cuda!! :p Welcome home again! "Resistance is Futile" LOL!

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well.

The trigger...oh man. It's mush. Seriously...a burping vat of cream of wheat is crisper.

However, I'm light enough into this, that I think it's going to get a trip to get that replaced, and get night sights.

Dang it, I want to like this pistol...mainly because it offers the ONE THING that Glock doesn't--that is, a .45 with a 5" barrel.

However, tomorrow is going to be a G21vXD45 shootout.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
So...

A few people where I work know I'm kinda a gun guy; it's not too uncommon to have someone come around and ask me questions about a certain gun, or ask what's a good price for something, or see if I'm interested in buying anything.

So, a couple of weeks ago, a guy I work with asked if I was interested in a XD45 tactical...he had one, but decided the whole handgun thing wasn't for him.

I demurred, of course.;)

He then wondered what a good price for one was, since he wanted to get rid of it, and get a shotgun for his son...I told him that anywhere from $400-450 would be fair, and if he wanted to trade it in, expect somewhere around $350.

Well...today he stops by again, said that none of the gun shops in the area offered him what he wanted, especially on a trade for a shotgun (never trade down, folks..you'll always get hosed). Wondered if I had a pump shotgun that his son could use for both birds and deer.

In fact, I did; a fairly beat up, but prefectly functioning Mossberg 500 with both a 28" bird barrel and a slug barrel as well...but I still wasn't really interested in the XD, and it wouldn;t be a fair trade. I told him as much (mentioned that a local chain had the M500 combos for $300 or so). I had--honestly--maybe $150 in the Mossy (iirc, I bought it for $75 or $100, and bought the slug barrel for $50)

He said, flat out...he didn't care, he'd be happy with the trade. He knew he was getting the down side, but that way his kid could have his own shotgun hunting this upcoming weekend.

So he got the Mossberg, 100 rounds of shotshells (high brass #5 pheasant loads), 50 rounds of slugs (Brenneke KO's--good ones that this barrel likes), and $100, and I got an XD45 Tactical. I also bought the first couple rounds of beers when we met after work...

What's that you say? It didn't--it couldn't happen?

Worth 1K words, no?
Thief :p

An excellent trade, man !!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the dark side lol. great deal why people feel like you hosed him or should feel bad idk because your gun was worth much more then the normal retail in that it provided convenience, the gun he wanted when he wanted it that's always a premium in life.

I've paid over $50 for a haircut before because I forgot about something like family photos and I wanted to offer my barber a amount he could not refuse. I'm not rich just needed what I needed when I wanted it and I was totally happy paying that much. I'm forgetful I've done that a few times like before a vacation, before being in a wedding etc lol. If I planned a little better I'd have more money I guess,

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Congrats, I guess. LOL. It was a pretty lopsided trade, even with the dude being OK with it. I know you're not a fan of the XD, but don't expect too much from the ol' gal even with the trigger job. :D If you just can't bear to keep it around, you let me know and I'll make sure you break even on the deal. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Having read your thoughts on the XD, I'm kinda shocked. I was going to post that it would be funny if 1lowlife picked one up too. Then I read his post and all is normal in the world.
Cuda66 and an XD sitting in a tree......
my money is on the 'former' re!!!

and rem ACDC! dirty deeds and they are done dirt cheap...dirty deeds done dirt cheap...dirty deeds....(now get THAT out of your head(s)!)

ETA(is that shorthand for edited aft?) anyway PS. the ammo does make it a pretty fair trade esp if both parties are ok w/it. THAT ACDC song just popped in my head on sub title; but the line about the two glock lovers was too good not to re on!

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know, I figure that he got around $80-$100 or so bucks in ammo...so I basically paid somwhere between $300 and $350 for it. I don't feel like I stole it (had I traded him the shotgun alone for it...yes, that'd be highway robbery), and he seemed pretty happy with the trade.

That, and he called and said his son was pleased with his new shotgun. They were going to go out and give it a try later today, put some of the KO's through it so he can take a deer tomorrow if he gets the chance.

Well, it's light enough to go shooting...time to put it up against a worn-out Gen2 G21...200 rounds of Tula await!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts