Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to another gun shop, after looking at a Kimber Pro Carry II at another and was comparing their price on this pistol, when I looked down in the case and spied one of these...

http://www.m1911.org/prodte26.htm

Yes, the Colt Series 70 reproduction. This one was a blued version with the nice rosewood grips.

Handsome, well finished and very much like the 1911s of old. I might give up on the idea of the Kimber and go with the Colt.

Why?

Well several reasons...

First, this reminds me of the pistols we shot growing up. Old school...but very well finished and simple. A tried and true design with no new alterations. I have my druthers about Kimber's Schwartz safety and that bushingless barrel set-up.

Second, the price is within 100 bucks of what I was looking to spend on the Kimber.

Third, Colts only have three small parts that are MIM'ed and the Kimber is full of MIM parts.

Forth, Its a Colt and for some of us older guys....when we think 1911...we still think Colt. It will hold its value better than the clones and some collector, someday, will always want it.

I field strippd it at the counter and looked it over real well. Some say Colt's QC is not what it used to be...but you could have fooled me! I did not see anything out of sorts. No machining marks or anything rough. Colt must be back to making them like they did in the 70s, because this new 70 Series was a really nice pistol. If I get this...then all my 1911s are Colts.

So...I am leaning more towards getting the Colt, for many reasons. The Kimber was nice and a good shooter...but hey...Colt is Colt and since the price is so close...might as well have the original article.

Anyone else own a Colt NRM 1911? They sure look nice and they're finished out beautifully.

Thanks,

brickboy240

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a stainless MK IV, absolutely love it.

Its the one gun I own that everytime I look at I just smile, and everyone seems to drool when they see that little pony. You will love the gun and as you said a collector will always purchase it in the future.

The only thing I don't like about mine are the sights, not sure if they are factory though as I received it used, but the front site is very large and completely covers most of what I shoot at. On that aspect I actually prefer the very tiny military sites on the norincos below my Colt.

And pictures so no one will yell lol.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would take the Colt over the Kimber anyday.....

I am not a Kimber fan....I love Springfields though... :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Good move! I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy, which is fantastic- shoots ragged hole groups and looks great. Thing is, I don't feel all warm and fuzzy inside shooting it like I do when my Dad loans me his original MKIV Series 70 (nickel finish, he bought it in '75). I guess that's because I was three years old in '75, and he started dragging me to the range about the time I was strong enough to lift it. He would put his Colt .22LR conversion unit on it and that's how I was introduced to pistol shooting. So to me, a "real" 1911 is a 70 Series Colt. I plan on getting one soon, but I also have to buy an 80 series commander for carry. (I want the trigger-based firing pin block in a carry piece.) Oh well, it's only money. I love my XD too, but when it comes to 1911's, it's gotta be a Colt.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I have a Kimber series 1,love it but damn I miss my Colt MKIV lightweight Commander.Hell of a gun.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i'm not that old but i still think of the colt as the best. i sold my lightweight commander to fund other projects and regret it now. best 1911 that i have owned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Brickboy240,
Call me a lucky stiff if you want,I have one.When I first seen them offered,I just had to have one.Period.I carried a Colt 1911 in Vietnam as a side arm when I was a sniper until some officer at the field hospital took it off of me before I got on the big bird to go back to the world.
I own several 1911's: Les Baer PII,Colt series 70 Gold Cup,Series 80 but the Series 70 Repro is by far,my favorite and yes,you are right.It is perfectly made.Not one tool mark anywhere and it has worked great.Great investment.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I'd "definately" take the Colt over the Kimber, 7 days a week. That is a good looking gun..... there are so many 1911's to own!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i got a dumb question as im not very familar with 1911's and i think they are beautiful guns but why is the trigger on 1911's like that as opposed to say a xd? how it looks like it slides in instead of pulling back?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i got a dumb question as im not very familar with 1911's and i think they are beautiful guns but why is the trigger on 1911's like that as opposed to say a xd? how it looks like it slides in instead of pulling back?
There is a plethora of information regarding John Moses' design which the U.S. military adopted has the G.I. sidearm in 1911; hence the designations '1911 & Government Model'. I encourage you to spend a bit of time researching this timeless design by one of the world's engineering geniuses.
A good comparison would be between the 1911 and the 1935 otherwise known as the Browning High Power also designed by John.

One of the most attractive features of the 1911 to serious target shooters is the straight-back movement of the trigger as opposed to the rotation found in the 1935 and nearly all other handguns. Trigger control & sight picture are the two most important fundamentals taught by professional instructors and the 1911 trigger is among if not the most controllable trigger design especially when tuned by a capable gunsmith.

May we all endeavor to engage in the reconstruction of the Queen's English.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, but I still think that the Hi-Power is the best hi-cap 9mm made. Mine is deadly accurate and very reliable.

I always tell everyone that likes the 1911 but wants one in 9mm to get a Hi-Power instead. They're better shooters and have less problems than the 9mm 1911s.

You can also get a very 1911-ish feel to the HPs trigger with minimal work. Mine is short and crisp and theres not any other hi-cap 9mm that has a trigger like a tuned Hi-Power. The CZ-75 comes close but still has more travel and take-up than the HP.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, but I still think that the Hi-Power is the best hi-cap 9mm made. Mine is deadly accurate and very reliable.

I always tell everyone that likes the 1911 but wants one in 9mm to get a Hi-Power instead. They're better shooters and have less problems than the 9mm 1911s.

You can also get a very 1911-ish feel to the HPs trigger with minimal work. Mine is short and crisp and theres not any other hi-cap 9mm that has a trigger like a tuned Hi-Power. The CZ-75 comes close but still has more travel and take-up than the HP.

- brickboy240
+1 Brickboy, the ergonomics of the HP cannot be beat. Have a gunsmith disable the mag safety (the trigger is then outstanding) but then do NOT carry it unless the SHTF. Never carry a modified sidearm, prosecuters love to make a stink about how you have modified your weapon to be more lethal.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
I'd vote Colt over Kimber for sure.
You know I am a 1911 aficionado and can't think of anything more beautiful, and functional at the same time, as the Colt 1911.

Buy it and share lots of pics!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
kimbers are nice but man i agree i aspire to own a colt 1911 some day hopefully soon they are beautiful and while i wasn't born until 1980 the colt name holds the same nostalgia for me as some of the older generations everytime i see a colt i am in awe no kimber has ever done that for me close but not on the level of a colt. get the colt man their timeless

1 - 14 of 14 Posts