Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[crosspost from TFL]

Even though I know better, the 'ol gun monster struck again today.

You know those guns that are on your "want list" for ages, and you just can't get them off? For me, that gun is the Springfield XD-9 Bitone. Not the M, the original 4" Service-size XD-9. I'm not sure why. There are fancier designs, newer designs, more classic designs, and I tend to prefer .40 in a service platform, but the combination of the 16+1 9mm and the sturdy, no-frills looks of the Service-sized XDs just seemed to really click for me, and I love a two-tone look.

Well, Bud's had a deal going on, 180-day layaway, 10% down, and I've had good experiences with them. I was able to combine that with the little "Make an Offer" widget that's usually good for 10-15 bucks to get an XD-9 Bitone 16+1, shipped insured, for $493.

That was too good to let go on a gun that has haunted my wish list for ages, especially since the Bitone non-M XDs are a bit harder to find. I dropped the first $100 on the layaway and I'm $393 from having Springfield join my stable for the first time. Also my first striker-fired gun somehow.

Two questions:

1.) Is it still worth the minor coin to replace the striker retainer pin with a rolled one from Powder River Precision, or did Springfield finally beef up the part?

Edit: I ordered them anyway. For $15 shipped, it's a nice bump in peace of mind for an otherwise fairly bulletproof design.

2.) How are the stock sights? I'll get Trijicons for it eventually but are they tolerable in the short-term?

Also, since this is a thread that's here anyway, if you have any shame purchases lately you just couldn't resist, feel free to confess your sins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
(1) Theres no telling how many rounds you will put down range before or if you swap out the striker retainer pin. However , i did the same thing you did and just put a PRP one in.(2) I think the XD sights are some of the best out there. Strong steel sights with a decent sight picture . The XD9 service is a real good gun right out of the box! Get some rubberized Talon grips and the ergs on this gun will knock ur socks off. Congrats on a nice gun!

·
Premium Member
18,056 Posts
2nd on the Talon grips. Get a couple more mags. The sights are ok, I just threw on some Glow Dots for better visibility. This is a home defense / range gun, not CC. Maybe OWB open carry if opportunity arises. People rave about a PRP trigger upgrade, but I've put over 2500 rounds in my XD Service and it's just now getting broken in and feels great. Not much more to do to it, though I did file on the trigger guard a bit so my strong hand middle finger wasn't rubbing on such a sharp corner.

Here she is with her SR22 and Shield sisters...

I've since put Talon rubber grips on the Shield.

Sent from the county jail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts