Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm more than a bit nervous. I know, everybody says relax and go slow and have fun. I just don't want to end up looking like Barney Fife out there. My girlfriend was watching me practice my draws and I just had to do my Barney impresseion. She was rolling. :D

On the subject of practicing draws, there is definately a technique to getting the pistol out of a Mr Softy smoothly. It's alot different than my 1911 with a kydex rig. I think maybe I'll have to get a kydex rig for the HS, but they're alot more expensive since Uncle Mikes and Fobus don't make them yet. I've been torn about which gun to shoot, but I've finally decided on the HS for the first match. I'll definately want to shoot the 1911 later on.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Double good luck and eat a fortune cookie. Please do not pull a Barney Fife and forget where you hide your one and only bullit. That show sure made me laugh a lot. I remember when Don Knotts first appeared on TV on the Steve Allen show in a "Man on the Street" skit. That really launched Don's TV knighthood.

Ed

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed Ely:
I remember when Don Knotts first appeared on TV on the Steve Allen show in a "Man on the Street" skit. That really launched Don's TV knighthood.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed, you're giving away your age. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hell, make your OWN rig, Tandy leather, or just use a sheet of milk jug plastic, and make an IWB rig, noone will see it anyway. use a Velcro flap on it, so you can adjust the angle and depth at which it rides inside your belt. Have a shoe repair shop sew a strip of the "pile" half of Velcro inside a belt, so you can attach the rig anywhere around your waist, experiment with cross draw, speed rake angle, etc. IDPA has a lot of STUPID rules, like having to shoot the gun to slidelock before you can reload, having to keep gun and mags behind hip, when they are actually MORE concealable when worn up front, etc. typical of regs promulgated by those who are ignorant of what they are trying to control

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, Uncle Mikes or Fobus should come out with a holster for that new XD pistol pretty soon. I hear holsters for those newfangled pistols will work with the crappy old HS2000. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I shoot ALOT of matches, both IDPA and USPSA and the one most important thing to remember is to have fun because.... you WILL s-rew up the first time...I did the first 3.. :) But I had a blast doing it and to this day I, and many High Masters STILL blow it out the wazoo sometimes:)
As far as the draw. Go slow and deliberate and get a rythm going . Also, when you clear the holster dont straighten your arms and then raise the gun. Draw ,bending at the elbows and bringing the gun to your chest and then thrust outward and line up your sights as you extend... sounds complicated but get you on target alot quicker:)... Just a suggestion:)try and see if it works for you:)
Remember to consentrate on your accuracy and form instead of speed. Speed will come in time... or my case... eons..lol Good luck and good shootin!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just have fun! I was out off IPSC shooting for about 6 years and recently started again. My first match was great since I went out just to have fun. The second and third went down as I tried to get FAST. Then I finished off the 2001 season "Having Fun" and did much better. The speed will come with time. Accuracy is the most important skill to develop first (along with ultra safe gun handling). Enjoy yourself, don't try to WIN your first match, and you'll be hooked!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts