Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided today to clean my BCG, and after removing the bolt I noticed a good bit of carbon built in in the back, where the tail of the bolt rests. So, I squirted a good bit of CLP down there, cleaned the bolt and then tried toothpicks and q-tips to clean the carrier. Well, that didn't work very well, soooooo, I used a flat head screwdriver to lightly and carefully scrape some of the carbon out. I checked it after every scrape and saw no metal shavings or any sort, just black stuff. I looked in it with a flashlight and didn't see any burrs and the bolt went back in without any issues.

Just so every knows, I have the Spikes BCG, phosphate outside, chrome inside.

Anyone think I did any significant damage?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Probably better ways to clean it, but I'd think all those parts are at least as hard as a screwdriver, and if you didn't see anything but black, you probably didn't even damage the chrome. You probably didn't hit anything with close tolerances, anyway. Lubricate properly. Go forth and sin no more.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, since they actually do make and sell "bolt scrapers" to clean off the carbon.
That's what gave me the idea.

Thanks guys, I shall stick to non-invasive ways to clean that part from now on. I am a bit OCD when it comes to clean weapons. :oops:

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's what gave me the idea.

Thanks guys, I shall stick to non-invasive ways to clean that part from now on. I am a bit OCD when it comes to clean weapons. :oops:
Its not OCD when you want it to work right!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I soaked the BCG in Hoppes (good grief, I forgot how bad that stuff smells, I usually use CLP). I used a plastic dental style pic and a nylon bore brush for a .45. I just gently scrubbed with the brush and then used the dental pic with a patch. Seemed to work pretty well. Wiped everything down with some CLP and a little oil and put it the bcg back in.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Damn if that'll screw up my AR I better stop using needle nose pliars to loosen up the carbon build ups!

FYI I've never even scratched the bolt's finish.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Its not OCD when you want it to work right!
Just remember that it doesn't need to be that clean to function. As long as it's got lube, it will go thousands of rounds between cleanings. My Colt sometimes goes several multi-day classes before it gets cleaned. Even then, I think it went almost 1200 rounds before I added more lube.

·
Registered
838 Posts
IF you use CLP, liberally coat the surfaces (use the pressurized spray can type) and let it sit overnight or longer. Much easier to remove carbon if the CLP works in for a few hours. Otherwise, brake cleaner (non chlorinated) and an old toothbrush can do the job with a bit of elboe grease.

IF you like scraping and want a specific instrument (albiet pricey) http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar...tool-for-cleaning-ar-15-m-16-bolts-detail.htm

·
Registered
838 Posts
The AR's DI gas system is more robust than a lot of people give it credit for.

I'm not so much a stickler for cleaning every last spec of carbon, just lube it and it will run.
THIS is true, +1 ;)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Late to this party...

Best thing I ever found and did, was to have my entire BCG coated with 'Micro-slick' by Amelon Coatings.
Carbon just about wipes off with a dry patch, definitely no scraping needed.
For those times when I don't clean between range trips and subsequently really bake it on, a little KG-1 on a patch does the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Well, I decided today to clean my BCG, and after removing the bolt I noticed a good bit of carbon built in in the back, where the tail of the bolt rests. So, I squirted a good bit of CLP down there, cleaned the bolt and then tried toothpicks and q-tips to clean the carrier. Well, that didn't work very well, soooooo, I used a flat head screwdriver to lightly and carefully scrape some of the carbon out. I checked it after every scrape and saw no metal shavings or any sort, just black stuff. I looked in it with a flashlight and didn't see any burrs and the bolt went back in without any issues.

Just so every knows, I have the Spikes BCG, phosphate outside, chrome inside.

Anyone think I did any significant damage?
Ur fine brother

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Don't have an AR, but have been researching this stuff. Frog Lube

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I didn't feel like making a whole new thread about this but...

What is the best non-toxic (non-petroleum based) cleaner? I typically just use BreakFree CLP, but figured I would see if you guys knew of another cleaner that would work as well or better.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, I didn't feel like making a whole new thread about this but...

What is the best non-toxic (non-petroleum based) cleaner? I typically just use BreakFree CLP, but figured I would see if you guys knew of another cleaner that would work as well or better.
Check out the video that I posted and research Frog Lube. It is 100% all natural and good for your skin, non petrolium product. FrogLube HomePage ~ It Just Works!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check out the video that I posted and research Frog Lube. It is 100% all natural and good for your skin, non petrolium product. FrogLube HomePage ~ It Just Works!
I have seen that stuff before, really interested in it. I was just wondering what else was out there that people had used and had success with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Having cleaned more M16s than I can count over a 23 year career, you didn't do any harm. I've scraped with dental tools, screwdrivers, my personal favorite for cleaning the insides of the bolt carrier was the firing pin.

Another favorite was Comet cleanser and hot water... platoon sergeant always came unraveled when he saw it, but never complained that our weapons were the cleanest in the arms room.

If you can scrape the coating off your bolt carrier or bolt, then...

You shoulda bought a Colt! :razz: (completely joking, folks, don't start flaming)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts