Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As one of my other posts asked, I was wondering between the XD 9 Service or a Glock. I took everybodies advice and went to the range and rented them all. I shot a XD 9, Glock 17, and Glock 19. Also took the wife to see how she felt. BTW, It has been 3 years since I have been to the range or shot a gun, and my wife has never even seen a gun in real life. It was a great feeling and a lot of fun. Even my wife by the end of it was really getting into it. Here's how it went:

The XD felt GREAT in my hand. It is really ergonamic and comfortable to hold. I like the groove cut out/thinner grip for the inside of my thumb, it made it feel really natural. The glocks dont have this and IMO wasnt as comfortable to hold. My wife also agreed exactly. Then on recoil, the XD esaiest of the three. The G17 was the next and the G19 had the snappiest recoil feeling. My wife also agreed and told me this on her own. Then for accuracy. Now I know the guns are a million times more accurate than us, since we are both newbs. But the odd thing was the XD was the easiest to aim. I line up the sights and that was exactly where the bullet would end up (to an extent). THe same thing for my wife. The glock was all over the place. I couldnt tell where the bullets were ending up with the glock, but no where in my line of sight while aiming like the XD was. Is it just us, or can a gun be easier to line up and be accurate with?

SO both of us agreed the XD was the way to go. But here is the dilemma, For my wife, she could not get the XD cocked. The slide is to hard to pull back. But the Glocks were super easy for her to do. I dont know what to do now. We both loved the XD in every way over the Glocks, But she can only get the slide back half way to cock it. I need some advise, what would you do in this situation. Get the glock and learn to shoot with it or get the XD and just get my wife used to it until she learns to man handle the gun and get it cocked. (at least until I save up enough to get her her own gun.) :D

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
The XD is great and you will be happy with it. As far as your wife racking the slide, I think she should practice at home (no ammo of course) and just get the feel. It takes a bit of muscle but I bet it is more of an awkward movement than a strength thing. She just needs to get used to it.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
See if your wife is pulling the slide with her weak hand. Probably what she is doing, since that's what most people do.

Have her try and just hold the slide with her weak hand and push the gun with her strong hand.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
347 Posts
To expand a bit on what Delija said, she's probably trying to rack the slide like you see in the movies; hold the gun in the strong hand, pinch the back of the slide between thumb and forefinger and pull.

That is not the most effective way to do it, particularly for people with weaker hands, or strongly sprung pistols.

Instead of holding the pistol in front of you, pointed straight away, hold it parallel to your chest (turn sideways so it's pointed safely downrange). Wrap your weak hand over the top of the slide, thumb on one side, fingers on the other. Push with both hands till the slide is fully retracted, then let go with the weak hand.

The tall slide on the XD makes it pretty easy to rack using this method (plenty of slide to grab hold of). Have her give it a try.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
My daughter has been able to rack the slide since she was 10 or 11. Those chest muscles develope fast, so after few times it will become easy for her using the technique orc4hire suggests.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ditto on what Mr. Don says. It just looks right doing it like that anyways. The ol' thumb and forefinger method I always thought looked wussy. Have her rack it like a man! :)

-stunks

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
stunksinatl said:
The ol' thumb and forefinger method I always thought looked wussy.
-stunks
So I guess the IDF (Israeli Army) is full of wusses since they use the "ol' thumb and forfinger method"......(so do I)..LOL

But I agree...the easiest way is the way suggested by orc4hire.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Here is another hint about racking the slide. Insert an empty mag and then have her pull back the slide. The empty mag will lock the slide back for her instead of her doing two things at once.

Another hint would be to try a lighter spring, especially for a service model xd a dons guide rod with a 16/17 pound spring would help. Stock is 18 pounds.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome tips, thanks. I cant wait to go get my brand new XD tomorrow. I am going to go with the bi-tone 9 mm service. And head back to the range. :D

BTW, a good feeling gun that I was looking at to rent was the sig pro 9mm. Also felt good but I was afraid that the slide and hammer might be too confusing for the wife, it would have taken even me a bit to figure out why it has both. Is that what they call dual action?

·
Registered
208 Posts
My XD's first rack and release was pretty hard after that it loosened. Not to mention some good oil on those slide rails will help a lil. Who knows the last time the range ppl cleaned it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I knew when you first posted if you tried both guns, you would go for the XD, and I was about 90% sure you would shoot it better. I mentioned about the 1911 guns, because they have the most natural grip angle of any firearm, that's why they've exsisted for over 100 years, the XD proximates that angle. Most new shooters will shoot better with the XD it happens all the time at the range.

CONGRATS on your purchase, you'll LOVE it....and ditto for the comments about the hand over the slide for racking it, that's the only way I've done it for years.
Regards sonny

·
Registered
347 Posts
TomSwift said:
When using the "hand over the top" method just be sure to keep your palm and pinky out of the ejection port when the slide returns to batter. Ouch!

That should only be a problem if you're 'riding' the slide back into battery, which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went out today looking for a Bi tone but nobody has one. Only black. I might have to settle for that.

What's with the rust link? It seems like you have to wipe down your gun daily or it rusts. Obviously I dont know anything about the maintenance of a gun yet, but do any/all brands of gun rust if you dont wipe it down all the time?

·
Registered
347 Posts
S281 said:
Went out today looking for a Bi tone but nobody has one. Only black. I might have to settle for that.

What's with the rust link? It seems like you have to wipe down your gun daily or it rusts.

Some XDs seem to be more prone to rust than others. The finish does require more care than some other guns', but if you have significant rust problems Springfield will refinish the piece at their expense. (They're getting a little tougher now on what's serious enough to merit a refinish, probably because of people abusing the warranty.)

If your XD turns out to be one of the rust-prone ones you'll need to either maintain it carefully or have it refinished.

Obviously I dont know anything about the maintenance of a gun yet, but do any/all brands of gun rust if you dont wipe it down all the time?
No. Some people may try to tell you otherwise, but they are...mistaken. I don't actively abuse my guns, but they're tools and I don't baby them. I've got a S&W Airweight that's sat exposed in the passenger compartment of a convertible for seven years now, only cleaned maybe four or five times in that period. It's the only one of my guns to show any rust; a tiny spot on the front sight. Scrubbed it off and fixed the finish with a touch-up pen.

I've got a Firestar that's been carried a very great deal over nearly 15 years. It's gone months between cleanings -- maybe a year or two once, back when I wasn't shooting much. I've forgotten it in the car overnight a couple times. I never wipe it down after handling it. The kydex holster I use is partly open at the bottom and the muzzle tends to accumulate lint, which I blow out every now and then with a can of compressed air. I wear it directly next to my skin under an untucked t-shirt in the Texas summer heat.

Aside from the tiny bit of holster wear around the muzzle and trigger guard, the finish is unblemished. It still looks pretty much just like it did when I took it out of the box 15 years ago. (No, it's not stainless steel. Electroless nickel finish.)

Despite what some people might tell you, it is not inevitable that a gun will rust under hard use.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Just wondering if your wife didn't have the grip safety depressed all the way in? The slide won't go back unless it is depressed fully. A slight gap on the grip and that safety will engage and the slide won't rack.
I would have her try again and by all means make sure her trigger finger is outside of the trigger guard and off the trigger during the process.

Reminded me of a time when a friend of mine had rented a semi-auto Uzi at a indoor gun range. We took turns shooting it, but my friend seemed to have trouble chambering a round. I could do it, but he couldn't. Turns out he would loosen his grip on the grip safety just enough to make the bolt lock.

Shoot safe and have fun! (both of you :eek: )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts