Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got cleaned up and got the Ol Girl put away and I must say my HRA did very well today in my mind.
I started off on the 50yrd line and was 8 clicks up from the bottom for elevation and windage was dead center and after firing 2 clips I made some adjustments I came up with this on the 50yrd line (we really don't want to discuss the 100 as I am 50 and need my eyes rechecked...,LOL)

Anyway I ended up being 14 clicks up from the bottom and 4 clicks to the left on windage..(I guess that's ok ?) Also with the Greek ammo I got from the CMP I had one that did not fire off even with 2 primer strikes and I also had about 4 clips that half way thru shooting it the rifle failed to strip the round out out of the clip all the way as it got cocked during feeding but with a push of my finger after pulling the bolt back and assisting it forward it went in so I am not sure if thats a issue with the rifle or the clips ?

I do have a question about cleaning, the rifle will initially get shot alot to familiarize me with the workings of the Garand but after that it may only get shot 8-10 times a year so I have to ask should I do a full field strip everytime on not because I know pulling it out of the stock each and everytime wears things abit, .

Thanks

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
panther that is sexy as hell. this is one of my top 3 guns i want.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
OH MY!!! :shock: Yes you did make it to the range sir with a sexy keeper. I just love the sound she makes when she runs out! We'll sign you up for the front lines, when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Very nice rifle. Answer to you questions. I'd say the ammo could be the problem for it not cycling the rounds properly. Especially because of your comment about the one not firing at all. If the bolt did not go all the way back I'd go with that it's the ammo before I'd be looking into other reasons.
If it did go all the way back but not cycle the round into the chamber it could be it's the OP rod spring, or maybe the OP rod it's self is dragging on something. As far as cleaning I do not believe it needs to be stripped down everytime. I use a dri lube on mine and it seems to work quite well and does not attract a lot of residue so I don't. Federal puts out some pretty nice ammo designed for M1's that I've never had a problem with. I did have a few problems at one time with some reloads. Had a talk with the guy who did the reloading and have not had a problem since. I don't know what he did but the problems ended.
I have a few rifles but the M1 is by far my favorite to shoot even if it is not my most accurate rifle, but owning a M1 is like owning a piece of American Pie

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Perhaps a late response to the OP...
Some old surplus ammo is corrosive...i doubt the greek stuff is as I think most of it is from the 60s and 70s, but you have to be 100% sure.
If it's not corrosive then no major need to clean the gun. If it corrosive then yeah, you're gonna need to clean it out - the barrel and the gas cylinder.

Those are nice groups - bench rest I assume? as for the clicks - 4 at 100 yards is normal and up 1 click for each additional 25 yards, give or take a click to start with. SO 8 up at 50 yards sounds off to me, but a lot depends on your sight picture.

My old trifocal eyes at 100 and 200 yards in competitions I light the botton of the front site up with the bottom of the aperture and put the dark bull on top of the front sight like a lolly pop, and the one click for 25 years works for that quite well.

I've started reloading to cut the cost of shooting, and for reliability. Its a LOT easier to load those clips with clean, fresh brass!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts