Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I purchased an XD-40 4" bi-tone. I have been reading up over the last couple days. Seeing some post on FTE's. I really hope I don't have this problem. I've already got a Kimber external extractor gun that has a FTE problem, I don't need any more headaches.

I also see many references to Don and his excellent guide rod and spring. Could somebody tell me, who is Don and can I see a picture of this excellent guide rod. I did a search and I see many references to Don but no real contact information or a link to a website.

What is wrong with the original recoil assembly? Speaking of that, how do you disassemble the factory recoil assembly? The rod is metal. That's a step above Glock's plastic recoil assembly. But I don't see how it comes apart...or if it supposed to? Surely there is a way to change the springs. I use a Wolff steel uncaptured rod and about a 22# spring in my G23(.40 cal) The XD has a 17# spring. What do you guys suggest?

The ejector appears to be plastic. Is it? If so, is it prone to break? Just curious.

The backstrap area of the grip is hollow, there is an open channel there. Is that correct? It looks like soemthing was in there, maybe a locking device or something. They sell plugs to plug this hole in the Glock. Is there something manufactured for the XD to plug the hole?

I see the thread about the XD armorers manual. Would love to have that. Where else is the information available? Would like to be able to disassemble the slide. Surely no debris ever gets in the striker channel causing light strikes. I own two Glocks and that never happens.....yeah right. I clean the stricker channels in those guns just about every time I shoot to make sure it never happens.

In any case, I love the feel of this pistol. I'm looking forward to getting to the range with it tomorrow.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigBob68 said:
The extractor is not plastic. No plug needed or made.

Don's guide rod is found at Pistol Gear.

OK, what Lumberjack said.
I didn't say the extractor was plastic, I said the ejector appears to be plastic. 2 different parts that people here and elsewhere use interchangeably incorrectly. A failure to extract is not the same as a failure to eject. Anyway.....

What is the difference between Don's guide rod and the one that Wolff gunsprings sells? http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

Wolff XD guide rods are a precision, hi-quality one piece steel quide rod. Designed for optimum performance they replace the standard factory recoil system. Rods are hardened to a minimum RC-55 for durability. Available in a durable black finish. Available individually or with a Wolff recoil spring.
I have found the slide and frame dissasembly instructions. That is very helpful.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Don's rod is silver, not black. With Don's Rod, you can use 1911 springs, where with the Wolff Rod, you need to use Wolff's XD springs.

Beyond all of that, Don is a helluva guy and I would bet that he has 10x+ the number of rods in the market over Wolff, for the XD. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK That makes sense, thanks for the info. One other thing on the rods? Does the wolff rod and spring require the washer as well, or is the rod diameter such that it eliminates that issue?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R/T Performance said:
And if you go to the main forum you will find him.
He also makes a tungston wich is a little heavier :D
Yeah, been reading up in his forum. I've got a tungston rod in a full size Kimber 1911 and it really helps tame the muzzle. If I buy one, I'll probably get the tungsten one. I do wish he had a bushing set up though. I'm not crazy about the washer thing, but I guess I can live with it if it works.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
The washers are just as reliable as a bushing. Sure, you can lose a washer a little easier than a bushing, however that is why you get 4 washers and can get more if you lose all of the four. I am still on my first washer, after a year and a half. I am running with the black delrin. If I get to the next once, I will go with the brass.

As for the tungsten rod, that is a special order. You will need to start rubbing on Don early for that one. :lol:

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
I like my tungston rod. I was like the second person to own one :) I feel so special

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I am offering the tungsten rods as a custom order. Email me for more info.

I sent a PM to gaspipes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ajamesp51 said:
therooster

Ejector and extractor sound alike so people confuse the two when trying to explain a problem
Correct! I PM'd rooster what the difference is. And I also put a magnet(found one in the junk drawer) to the ejector and it is in fact metal.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Gaspipes, welcome aboard and I did not mean to confuse the two, extractor and ejector. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I do know the difference and I was meaning that both are metal like you discovered. Congrats on the XD, fine choice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts