Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well second outing with Vera ( my 40 SC ) wasn't without hiccups. First was the slide lock engaging for no reason. Couldn't figure it out. Tried different grips and still happened two or three times per magazine. Then it went away till towards the end. Here's a quick video.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Now the second thing was my magazine mainly the 10 but also the 12 round wasn't sliding in and out well at all. Had to pull on it to get it out even loaded. Got to cleaning her tonite and stared at them from every angle I could. I figured they ballooned cus of the load assist that came with the XD. Buuuut upon further inspection I saw that the back of the mags had dimples but from the inside out in the shape of the rounds. Well What I would do was smack the magazine against my hand to hell I don't know seat the rounds to seat the rounds? Lol dude I've seen this in movies and I know how that sounds but also hickock45 on YouTube do the same. Well these magazines are softy and that's not good to do lol. Soo I took a brass punch and a small hammer and tapped them all back down and they just fall out empty like before. You live you learn I guess. But watch the video to see what I may be doing to cause the slide lock to engage.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
1. Keep your thumb away from the slide-lock lever and it won't get pushed up during recoil/flip.
2. What do you think happens to those carefully palm-smacked rounds during the recoil from your first shot? Never found any sense in this. Note: If the mags get too bent to function, contact SA for replacements. There have been some problems with mags in the past, have not read any other recent complaints though.
3. Do you always rack the slide and eject perfectly good unfired rounds to 'show you mean business' and then additionally need to thumb-cock the (non-existent) hammer? THat is a movie staple also.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well second outing with Vera ( my 40 SC ) wasn't without hiccups. First was the slide lock engaging for no reason. Couldn't figure it out. Tried different grips and still happened two or three times per magazine. Then it went away till towards the end. Here's a quick video.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Now the second thing was my magazine mainly the 10 but also the 12 round wasn't sliding in and out well at all. Had to pull on it to get it out even loaded. Got to cleaning her tonite and stared at them from every angle I could. I figured they ballooned cus of the load assist that came with the XD. Buuuut upon further inspection I saw that the back of the mags had dimples but from the inside out in the shape of the rounds. Well What I would do was smack the magazine against my hand to hell I don't know seat the rounds to seat the rounds? Lol dude I've seen this in movies and I know how that sounds but also hickock45 on YouTube do the same. Well these magazines are softy and that's not good to do lol. Soo I took a brass punch and a small hammer and tapped them all back down and they just fall out empty like before. You live you learn I guess. But watch the video to see what I may be doing to cause the slide lock to engage.
What kind of ammo were you using? It wasn't semi-wadcutters, was it? :sad:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Keep your thumb away from the slide-lock lever and it won't get pushed up during recoil/flip.
2. What do you think happens to those carefully palm-smacked rounds during the recoil from your first shot? Never found any sense in this. Note: If the mags get too bent to function, contact SA for replacements. There have been some problems with mags in the past, have not read any other recent complaints though.
3. Do you always rack the slide and eject perfectly good unfired rounds to 'show you mean business' and then additionally need to thumb-cock the (non-existent) hammer? THat is a movie staple also.
Well the movie thing was for a laugh more or less. They are back in shape now. Next outing I'm gonna try to pay more attention to my thumb placement. Didn't feel my thumb riding up at all really.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not sure what wadcutters are. But I was using federal maroon box in 180 grain. Last outing was Winchester white box
No problem. The XDs are noted for having feeding troubles and dinged up magazines when trying to fire handloads with flat nosed bullets with sharp edges that stick out of case. Your ammo should feed fine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
No problem. The XDs are noted for having feeding troubles and dinged up magazines when trying to fire handloads with flat nosed bullets with sharp edges that stick out of case. Your ammo should feed fine.
Really? I've shot thousands of all shape bullets through my xd9 service. I think it would feed road gravel if you filled the mag with it. Dinged up mags? Mine seem tough as nails and I don't baby them at all.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Really? I've shot thousands of all shape bullets through my xd9 service. I think it would feed road gravel if you filled the mag with it. Dinged up mags? Mine seem tough as nails and I don't baby them at all.
my 9mm seems to also eat rocks if I choose...but i think that the deference between the 40 and the 9mm. may be just rare circumstances, but the 40,s are more problematic.
To the OP, I would say it may be magazine issues. call SA. and good luck

·
Registered
265 Posts
Road gravel,LOL, last time someone said, even frozen peas will do.:D

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my 9mm seems to also eat rocks if I choose...but i think that the deference between the 40 and the 9mm. may be just rare circumstances, but the 40,s are more problematic.
To the OP, I would say it may be magazine issues. call SA. and good luck
The mag problem was my fault. I got that figured out and fixed. The slide locking back prematurely is the other problem. The difference from now and the last time was the hoogue grip. Maybe its causing my thumb to ride a bit higher now but in my head its not. So next trip ill keep my thumb way low to see if that stops it. Then try how a normally grip to see if it happens again. If so may have to trim down the hogue a bit more but I like it as is.but been thinking bout the talon grips but tossed between grip tape style or the rubber.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
You're so full of sh!t. I lol'd.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry, my error. In going back over the threads that address the problems with semi-wadcutters in the XD I find that it seems only to apply to the XD 45 and not other calibers.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I say B.S.
I've got 6 mags for the 9mm and 6 for the .40. They have been in and out of both guns at least 500 times each. Slapped on my palm every time and no dings what so ever. Been dropped in the sand and gravel bunches of times and not even a small grain of sand inside.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I say B.S.
I've got 6 mags for the 9mm and 6 for the .40. They have been in and out of both guns at least 500 times each. Slapped on my palm every time and no dings what so ever. Been dropped in the sand and gravel bunches of times and not even a small grain of sand inside.
As I mentioned in my previous post, this problem only applies to the XD 45 it seems. There are lots of threads talking about it. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I usually slap my carry mag on my palm a few times to keep the bullets from rattling inside it. If I slap the front of the mag a few times it always takes care of the rattle. If I slap the back of the mag it makes them start rattling again. Haven't noticed any dings or dents in my mags.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I say B.S.
Call B.S. all you want. What reason do I have to lie? It happened. Not bashing so no need for But hurt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts