Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaded a mag in the gun with the slide forward already, racked the slide, fired the first shot and it just clicked with no bang. I thought it didn't chamber the round off the magazine, but when I racked the slide a round came out. I looked on it and there was no marking on the primer at all. It's like the firing pin didn't touch it when i pulled the trigger. I know it was cocked because there was a definite click like a normal trigger pull.

The only thing I can think of is I didn't rack the slide back all the way when I loaded the round? My hands were sweaty at the time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has it happened more than this time?
Just once.

Do you oil your striker channel?
No.

When was the last time you cleaned the striker channel?
Never.

I just got it back from Springfield who refinished it so I guess they would have stripped it down first and cleaned it first. Also they replaced the extractor and locking block. I fired about 200 rounds since I got it back and this thing happened just the one time.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Hmmmm, its hard to think that racking it enough to chamber around wouldn't be enough to cock hit, the first click to reset the trigger happenes when the slide is back about half an inch, but then it wouldn't chamber a round

Waiting for others opinions

EDIT:

Did you try and refire the round?

If not, try the round again or try it in another gun.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
No primer mark at all is indeed pretty weird. Have you shot it since then and has it performed normally?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
It's possible the FP block didn't drop.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Did you save the round ... Was the round of proper length ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm, its hard to think that racking it enough to chamber around wouldn't be enough to cock hit, the first click to reset the trigger happenes when the slide is back about half an inch, but then it wouldn't chamber a round

Waiting for others opinions

EDIT:

Did you try and refire the round?

If not, try the round again or try it in another gun.
I'm pretty sure it was fully cocked because it felt like a normal dry fire and I assumed for some reason it didn't chamber a round, but one flew out when I racked it. I fired the round on the next magazine and it worked fine. There was no mark on the primer. I didn't ride the slide forward either, I always let to go forward by itself although my hands were really sweaty so it could have slipped forward early maybe.

Usually at the range I lock the slide back then load the mag, then sling shot it forward. But this time the slide was already forward (with chamber empty) when I inserted the magazine and I used the hand over the top of slide racking method.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was fully cocked because it felt like a normal dry fire and I assumed for some reason it didn't chamber a round, but one flew out when I racked it. I fired the round on the next magazine and it worked fine. There was no mark on the primer. I didn't ride the slide forward either, I always let to go forward by itself although my hands were really sweaty so it could have slipped forward early maybe.

Usually at the range I lock the slide back then load the mag, then sling shot it forward. But this time the slide was already forward (with chamber empty) when I inserted the magazine and I used the hand over the top of slide racking method.
Doesn't matter, if the round was chambered the slide moved more than far enough to cock the striker.
Very odd.

Are you COMPLETELY sure it wasn't a glock? Remember, glocks are true double-action so it could have been half cocked from the get-go like most of thier advertising :p:p:p
I kid I kid, but glocks are proven to be cancer causers so be careful out there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Push the FPB up and press the firing pin forward. You should observe the tip of the firing pin come out of the breach face. If you don't see it you probably have a broken firing pin.

If you do see it. Try shooting different ammo. Be sure the slide goes completely into battery. If it doesn't it will cause you to hear the click, but you won't get ignition. If the slide isn't going completely into battery it could be because of a badley fouled chamber, an obstacle in the barrel not allowing the round to chamber fully or ammo that is loaded to long or hasn't been properly sized.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Not that it maters but what model was it that gave you this hiccup?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If it didnt happen again...
My suspicion is an out of spec round, and the gun wasn't in battery. You should get in the habit of press checking and giving the slide a bump after an administrative reload. It might have prevented this.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
It's possible the FP block didn't drop.

This is the only explanation that makes sense to me. If you chambered a round, it was cocked enough to set the striker. Now, why the striker safety didn't disengage is the true question.

You mentioned that you don't oil the striker but it is possible that some seeped in and mixed with lint, deodorant flakes and carbon to make a 1 in a 1,000,000/one-time-use only striker defeater and the issue will never arise again in your lifetime.

It is also possible that your XD has AIDS. Have you shot any hookers with it?

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It is also possible that your XD has AIDS. Have you shot any hookers with it?

Damn I thought that only happened when you shoot infected chimps, do I need an AIDS test for my XD? I've only capped a couple of ho's, and only one without the protection of a BUG.

LOL, that really cracked me up.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Just a though so hear me out. I'm thinking the round was never chambered as the pickup rail never engaged the round to slam it home into the chamber because the slide was not pulled back far enough, but did partially remove it from the mag. and slid slightly foward. Then after the trigger was pulled and nothing happened,then the slide was pulled back manually and the spring pressure of a full mag spit the round out of the mag after the slide was out of the way. This could have happened because of a slightly out of spec round or maybe the mag is not quite in it's specs. Or possibly both and that's the reason it only happened once. Sounds mighty strange that there would be no markes on the primer at all if the round was chambered and the pistol in battery and the trigger was pulled. Like I said Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts