Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may not be anything but I'm relatively new to handguns and have just gotten back from my 2nd range trip with my new xd .45 compact. I broke it down and cleaned it and noticed some markings that I'd like to get some feed back on...it looks like the coating is coming off.

First is the gun barrel...I noticed some 'scratches'..or maybe I just don't have it cleaned enough?

$barell.jpg

Here's another picture showing silver on the recoil spring assembly and barrel:

$xd45.jpg

Then there is a line on the cover for the ejection port:

$frame.jpg

Sorry if I'm being overly paranoid here! Any ideas what this is or what is causing it?

On a side note..here is a picture of my shooting today..2nd time w/this pistol and about the 6th time ever shooting

$45xdcompact.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have an XD9-SC and it has the same if not worse scuffs. also the hood of the slide is worn, it has a warranty so i dont worry about it. but mine has that same brass scratch on the ejection port... not worried just curious

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have an XD9-SC and it has the same if not worse scuffs. also the hood of the slide is worn, it has a warranty so i dont worry about it. but mine has that same brass scratch on the ejection port... not worried just curious
Just wondering...I've only put maybe 300 rounds through it.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Normal. You should see mine.
Barrel & guide rod, that is..... ;) :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$frame.jpg

This is the one that bothers me...why would it have the line there..doesn't seem like it should be doing that there...it's very obvious and just doesn't seem like it is wearing right if this has happened after 300 rounds.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Its from the slide moving over that spot during recoil. Put another thousand rounds through it and not worry.

My barrel and recoil spring are 1000x worse than that.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I have a 45C, same kind of wear marks on it as well. My other pistol that has a tilt barrel design has wear marks in the same places and in the same pattern. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good to read.. I was gettting a little freaked from all the scratches I was seeing on my gun as well. Glad it's from normal wear though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spiderjohn

Some wear is unavoidable. After all the slide is moving over the barrel at over
a 100 mph when it cams down and unlocks. If you wish to minimize the wear,
maintain function and maximize the life and accuracy of your pistol, don't shoot it dry. Use a high quality grease (not oil) on the mating surfaces of the barrel and slide. A can of high pressure, high temperature, wheel bearing grease (for disk brakes) is a highly effective and very economical alternative to the Boutique Gun Lubes that sell for $10 in a 12 gram tube. Pick up a can at your favorite automotive store. Use a small stick or an artist's pallet brush to lay on a thin but, thorough coat to the slide rails, the barrel, and lock up points. The wear areas are a sign post for where lube is needed most. A 1# can should last you a decade, unless you shoot a lot or have buddies who also like smooth shooting pistols. I run my pistols like pigs greased for a rodeo. After many hundreds, and even thousands of rounds, they still look and shoot
like new. Just clean after every ranges session, wipe off the old grease and put on new.

By the way nice Coffee Table. Got mine in Corinth, MS, how 'bout you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts