Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love having a nice, bright light on an AR and have never had a truly suitable handgun platform until I got the (M).

The Insight Procyon is cool, but the fit sucked so no-go for me. I was able to pull it off way too easily even when mounted 'correctly'.

The Streamlight TLR-1 is priced right and can easily serve double-duty should my long gun setup fail. Easy to operate and decently bright, but to get it truly tight I had to turn the screw several turns. No big deal once mounted, but it took a minute to get it on decently tight, especially if stacked with a Uni-Max laser(which does need a turn or two of the screw itself).

Which brings us to the Surefire X300: most expensive but brightest of the bunch, and a fantastic fit with the 'universal' mount it shipped with (also comes with a Picatinny adapter in the box).

I bought the X300 and will take it to the indoor range tomorrow, still on the fence about getting a green Uni-Max to expand options. I never liked lasers until I tried a CT on a Jframe.

Feel free to chime in with any useful info on lighting your XD(m), or even stuff to avoid.

·
Registered
525 Posts
What about a holster? I`m picking up my new xdm .40 next week. The plan is to mount a light. Any info on holsters compatible for this set up? BTW I`m a first time poster here, your board is great.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a green Uni-Max to stack the X300 with when desired... red is roughly half the price but I wanted something I could also use on a long gun with an EOTech or Aimpoint red-dot and like the contrast - one of my SBR's has an EOtech+green laser set up so when you hit the pressure switch the center dot turns from red to green and very quickly leaving no doubt that you are on target (whereas the the red Uni could potentially make you pause for a moment, even in 'pulse' mode).

The TLR-2 and X400 are nice ideas, but put the laser farther away from the bore from my 'modular' method and the lowered switch position for the white light does not appear to present an issue thus far.

I am doing holster research and will post accordingly if I find something that works decently with light mounted.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
What about a holster? I`m picking up my new xdm .40 next week. The plan is to mount a light. Any info on holsters compatible for this set up? BTW I`m a first time poster here, your board is great.
Just FYI, the double mag pouch that comes with your XDM has rail mounts on the front and back side for optional attachments. So does the carry case.

Coolio, huh :wink: ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
As far as the Streamlight TLR-1 goes... If you leave it loose enough, you can push the tightening 'button' thing and release or re-attach it very easily. I'm pretty sure it's made to do this so you can attach it only when you need to. I've fired it when it's fairly loose as well and it holds on perfectly. I guess worry about it if you plan to have it on your gun ALL the time.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I personally don't care for a light on a pistol. They greatly effect the balance and in some cases the reliability of the gun. Not to mention that they can be an awfully big bullet magnet. And don't forget the hassle of finding the right holster. Unless you have been trained in the proper use of a mounted light, they are not a good idea. Even if you have been trained with one, a handheld Surefire is almost always better for just about anyone short of someone performing a very specialized uniform duty.

ranburr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts