Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.

I'm a newer member here, trying to learn all I can bout XDs as I just bought my wife one that we both love.

However, I did notice that during shooting, her XD9 subcompact seems to eject spent casings like a wussy. I mentioned in the range report I posted how we had one FTE where the slide closed on a partially ejected casing. Could the weak ejection have anything to do with that FTE. Out of 100 rounds of 115 gr. WWB, this is the only failure we had (that makes 200 rounds with just one failure of any kind).

Also, I'm a bit curious to know if new XDs (especially the 9mm) are prone to failures from limp wristing during break-in. I've NEVER had any failures with my walthers (.40 P99 and .380 PPK). The P99 in particular pops those casings out in what looks like perpendicular to the gun while shooting. The PPK ejects with authority too, right out the side and slightly toward my right shoulder. The XD either throws (rather wussily) over the right shoulder close to the head, of straight back over the head (I had one hit me in the forehead, surprise! :shock: ).

Should I be using a heavier grain bullet to break in the gun with till we reach 500 rounds? I'm hoping that the new guide rod spring is just tight 'cause it's new and that's what caused the FTE. When it breaks in a bit, hopefully we'll get better ejection, right? Thanks in advance for your input!

A thoroughly impressed (though slightly worried) new XD owner,

stunks

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
I would first try a different ammo WWB is kind of weak and has also been known to ciase problems not all the time but some. Plenty of others have almost said the same thing about WWB like you had said.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that WWB in 9mm? I have shot WWB almost exclusively in my other guns .40 (which is a hot round) and .380 auto (not so hot) and had ZERO problems.

Wouldn't a heavier bullet help break in the recoil spring too? Problem is, my wallet really likes the WWB, ya know? It does make me feel better that other have reported some issues with WWB in their XDs.

-stunks

EDIT: I guess, what I'm really asking, are there any XD9 subcompact owners that think they have weak ejection? If so, what ammo brand and weight do you use? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll check those out. The extra few bucks to see if ejection is a little better is well worth it.

Do you know if those are 124 grain?

-stunks

·
Registered
885 Posts
stunksinatl said:
EDIT: I guess, what I'm really asking, are there any XD9 subcompact owners that think they have weak ejection? If so, what ammo brand and weight do you use? Thanks guys!
Mine does not have that problem.
I use WWB almost exclusively.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should clarify by what I mean as "weak". Another word I can think of is SLOW. The spent cartridges fly out slowly compared to my other guns, even my P22.

I'm not really worried about 1 FTE in the breakin period, but I was just curious if others have noticed/experienced this phenomenon.

Thanks to all those who reply. And thank you XD-Dan for your reply/

-stunks

·
Registered
885 Posts
stunksinatl said:
I guess I should clarify by what I mean as "weak". Another word I can think of is SLOW. The spent cartridges fly out slowly compared to my other guns, even my P22.

I'm not really worried about 1 FTE in the breakin period, but I was just curious if others have noticed/experienced this phenomenon.

Thanks to all those who reply. And thank you XD-Dan for your reply/

-stunks
You're welcome.

You say "slow" ejection...I must admit that I don't pay much attention to the spent casings, but they don't seem to eject weak or slow from my subby. I can tell you that I have never been hit in the head or chest with spent rounds. At our last monthly TXDPSA meet, I had a spent case hit the shot timer squarely. The case hit the timer hard enough to register another shot. :shock: I'm glad the RO was paying attention.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahah!

Ya know what, I think the only reason I noticed is because I watched my wife shoot it. She fired more rounds than I did. I really don't have any idea what ejection looks like when I shoot the thing!

I've pretty much concluded that my wife was limpwristing while shooting, perhaps it was taking just enough energy from the slide to slow down the ejection process, and therefore with a new recoil spring, we had our ejection failure.

I CANNOT, however, explain that one casing that hit me in the forehead. If it does it past 500 rounds with different kinds of ammo, I'll have to call Springfield about it. I'm used to my guns throwing brass away from me. Over the right shoulder right next to my head and in the face aren't my ideas of proper function...

-stunks

·
Registered
885 Posts
stunksinatl said:
I CANNOT, however, explain that one casing that hit me in the forehead.
Others on this site have posted being hit in the head too, but I don't think it happens very often.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess my wife and I will have to get to the bottom of the problem by shooting as much as we can afford! :D

It is a tough job, but someone has to go out and shoot the hell of the XD, might as well be us!

-stunks

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I would give you sub9 a bit more time to break in. A good scrubbing of the extractor would be a good idea too. Use a small screw driver and see if the extractor moves freely, it could be gummed up a bit. A good blast of gun scrubber wouldn't hurt (wear googles :shock: ). Then a small dab of lube on a Q-tip to finish off.
Have you wife use a firm arm and grip when shooting (firm, not too tight). Right at this point, I don't think you have much to be worried about. Just a small glitch and it should work its way out. Different ammo is a good suggestion.

Good luck, shoot safe 8) [/u]

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Danke Schoen for the advice.

I agree, more shooting necessary, and definitely a fun way to work out a problem!

About the extractor, it is pretty tight in there. It will move slightly when pressing on it with my finger, but it seems to be tensioned very tightly. There doesn't seem to be any residue that is making it stick. Looks like a plain ol' internal extractor to me.

-stunks

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
stunksinatl said:
It will move slightly when pressing on it with my finger
That slight movement is a good sign! :eek: a stuck extractor may not get a good hold on the rim and wimpy extraction will result. Test some more, get more ammo and test some more! :mrgreen: yeah yeah yeah!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent! :D

Going on Thursday. Will be shooting the P99 and XD9.

I'll let you guys know about the XD, thanks again.

-stunks

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I shot WWB in my sc9 and had no ejection, ftf, fte, or limpwrisiting problems. Now that I shoot gunshow reloads load to the same weight (115gr), using Winchester cases, I do have fte, ftf and being hit problems.

The low price of the reloads and the experience I get in being able to clear the gun efficiently outweighs the problems for me. I'm able to save $25 when I buy 1K rounds and that means I can buy more ammo to shoot. I only use the ammo for target/plinking. My defensive round, which I have 15yrs experience shooting in my Beretta and 1yr with the XD, is what I carry for personal use. That ammo (Ranger Talon 147gr is flawless).

Good luck and enjoy your gun. Now you need one for yourself so you can shoot at the same time. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's right!

She's trying to get me to trade in my P99, but I just love it too much!

Gotta start saving, I guess, luckily the XDs aren't as expensive as they could be.

-stunks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts