Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while back that my XDs .45 4 was jamming with Browning ammo. Well now it's jamming with all brands and bullet types. I'm a novice so bare with me.
It jams mainly ejecting but it also jams failure to feed. I've tried different clips and keep the gun field strip clean. The gun started jamming up about after 400-600 rounds.
Again I'm a novice, I've never had a gun do this before. I own an XDe 9, never a problem and I have a 22 six shooter.
The last pic shows the cleaner lube I use.

Anyway see the downloaded pix and if any of you have an idea on a fix I appreciate it!

Automotive lighting Sleeve Bullet Auto part Rim

Drinkware Automotive lighting Liquid Fluid Alcoholic beverage

Air gun Trigger Bumper Shotgun Machine gun

Sleeve Finger Sportswear Window Human leg

Fluid Liquid Gas Gun barrel Canteen

·
Registered
566 Posts
I used to have the XDs-45 and found that it was unusually sensitive to how tightly you gripped it. Yeah, I know, don't limp-wrist it, right? But seriously, the only way I got mine to work reliably, with zero malfunctions, was basically to white-knuckle the grip. I was able to reproduce the failures on both my pistol and a co-workers XDs-45 by intentionally relaxing my grip even just a little bit, so it wasn't just my pistol. My 9mm XDs never had that problem, and neither have any other 9mm or even .45 ACP pistol I've owned (I've owned several of each), so I attributed it to the .45 caliber version of the XDs.

·
Registered
807 Posts
My 45 acp XDS 3.3 functions just fine. Had a few jams when new but after that zip. Purchased new in 2013. I hold it firmly but no white knuckle death grip.

Padraig

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, after my first post. I went and Man Handled it. Racking HARD, different rounds and clips and it didn't fail to eject!
When I first got the gun (used) I did about 200 rounds right off the bat, (no cleaning), no problem. Then I field cleaned the Heck out of it with that stuff pictured above, that's when it started acting funky.
I haven't fired it yet after the Rack, Rack, Rack I just did. We'll see after I go to the desert or range....

Side note: I've heard of guys using sand paper in the chamber ramp loading area, I sure as He!! don't want to do that unless I'm Absolutely sure of what I'm doing.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yeah, after my first post. I went and Man Handled it. Racking HARD, different rounds and clips and it didn't fail to eject!
When I first got the gun (used) I did about 200 rounds right off the bat, (no cleaning), no problem. Then I field cleaned the Heck out of it with that stuff pictured above, that's when it started acting funky.
I haven't fired it yet after the Rack, Rack, Rack I just did. We'll see after I go to the desert or range....

Side note: I've heard of guys using sand paper in the chamber ramp loading area, I sure as He!! don't want to do that unless I'm Absolutely sure of what I'm doing.

Thanks Guys!
Lesson number 1 with a visual of why you don't call a magazine a clip. There is a huge difference between the two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lesson number 1 with a visual of why you don't call a magazine a clip. There is a huge difference between the two.

Yeah, I knew that, it's just not ingrained in me yet, heck, I Still call a throttle body a carburetor once in a while by mistake or Miracle Whip, Mayonnaise ......

Reactions: Padraig

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Since you got the gun used, it's hard to say what condition the recoil spring, magazine springs, and feed lips are in. See if you can get your hands on a new magazine and try it, and if that doesn't cure it see about replacing the recoil spring assembly.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

Thanks Guys!
Are you trying to eject live loaded rounds? Cause an XDs 45 often won't do this. Some brands of loaded rounds won't clear the ejection port.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Absolutely do not take sandpaper to the loading ramp!!! With experience you can "buff" the ramp, if needed with a dremel felt tip and some buffing compound, but don't even do that without much experience or under the guidance of a gunsmith, etc.

Much being said about "Man-handling" the grip. Folks, remember this is a .45 ACP round in a very small package, with a 3.3" barrel and it is gonna kick. I have over 1500 rounds through mine and yes, it is a handful, but I knew that going in. The loose/soft gripping will cause problems with ejection and accuracy. Not saying that is what is the problem here necessarily, but if you think this will loosen up over time and shoot like a 9mm or a .380, then you are in for a disappointment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Zero issues with mine, but I have to ask, why are you ejecting live rounds? Ever hear of bullet set back?
Ok, this all started with a failure to load, the round would get jammed going up into the ramp on about the 3rd or forth round being fired.
I don't know if the spent casing was not ejecting properly and not allowing a fresh round to be loaded or what?
I'd drop the mag and clear out the round. Then testing it at home I was trying to cycle rounds threw the chamber, pulling the slide back and ejecting, pulling the slide back and ejecting. The unfired rounds were not ejecting as pictured.
I don't think I was holding the weapon firm enough and racking hard enough when I first tested racking/ejecting. Because like I said above once I started being aware of my grip and pull force the racking/ejecting *seemed to be remedied.
I have to get to the range again to see if I still have a Loading issue .
In the mean time my 9 is working just fine.
I'm learning though I don't like striker fires.
My next gun will be a revolver for sure!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Iv shoot a xds chambered in 45 and yeah there a hand full. It wasn't a fun gun to shoot. Heck I feel that way about my ruger lcrx in 9mm. The recoil is sharp its a good reminder that 9mm isn't a joke.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ok, this all started with a failure to load, the round would get jammed going up into the ramp on about the 3rd or forth round being fired.
I don't know if the spent casing was not ejecting properly and not allowing a fresh round to be loaded or what?
I'd drop the mag and clear out the round. Then testing it at home I was trying to cycle rounds threw the chamber, pulling the slide back and ejecting, pulling the slide back and ejecting. The unfired rounds were not ejecting as pictured.
I don't think I was holding the weapon firm enough and racking hard enough when I first tested racking/ejecting. Because like I said above once I started being aware of my grip and pull force the racking/ejecting *seemed to be remedied.
I have to get to the range again to see if I still have a Loading issue .
In the mean time my 9 is working just fine.
I'm learning though I don't like striker fires.
My next gun will be a revolve for sure!
Yep, that's it. The XDS45 needs a good solid grip and you need to be very forceful. It'a a tiny 45...

·
Registered
782 Posts
The XDS doesn't eject live rounds all that well. You really need a sharp yank of the slide. FMJ will have even for F2Eject. Some people like to drop the mag and slowly pull the slide to eject live rounds through the magwell if they know they have a live round to eject.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hmmm... I have a 45acp XD it's not a XDS but I would think that the mag lip gap should be close. Il mic my mags when I get home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, Worse than Not owning a gun is owning a gun you're not sure of.
I ordered a recoil spring assembly from MGW, I'm waiting for that.
I called Springfield and they were pretty much firm on telling me to send them the gun. *Almost telling me there would be No Charge, sent me a shipping label before I got off the phone with them. Even though I told them I bought the gun used from a dealer, it's registered in my name. I'll wait to send it to them until I get the spring from MGW.
My XDe 9 3.8 I bought new and am comfortable with it but for sure my next gun will be a steal wheel. No more plastic mag fed guns for me!

Reactions: Mike51392

·
Registered
510 Posts
I called Springfield and they were pretty much firm on telling me to send them the gun. *Almost telling me there would be No Charge, sent me a shipping label before I got off the phone with them. Even though I told them I bought the gun used from a dealer, it's registered in my name. I'll wait to send it to them until I get the spring from MGW.
My XDe 9 3.8 I bought new and am comfortable with it but for sure my next gun will be a steal wheel. No more plastic mag fed guns for me!
Sorry but that makes no sense why would a recoil spring effect ejecting issues? I would bet that it's probably a mag issue. If the orginal owner was a tactical gun ninja and practiced reloading letting the mags hit the ground thats probably the problem. I love 6 shooters but when they fail they FAIL! . There's a lot of moving parts in double action revolvers then today's plastic striker guns. I hate being in CA I would buy that XDS in a heart beat.

·
Registered
566 Posts
To be fair, you bought it used and Springfield is even offering to help you, which is good to hear. I totally get the frustration of dealing with gun problems, I’ve had a few myself, but don’t be so quick to write off plastic guns. It sounds like your XDe is working well?

Give Springfield a chance to fix it, you might be pleasantly surprised. And if it still doesn’t work out, you can always sell it (preferably) or trade it in. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts