Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
As soon as all the glaciers melt we will have plenty of water.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I always keep 3 - 5,000 gallons on hand.

kypix

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Cistern.

kypix

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In case of contamination the only water you can trust is bottled from a factory not in your area. You wont know till after there is already an issue that you will need safe water. If you run on well water, it could get contaminated( think fracking). City water could get any form of contamination from chemicals to biological, and filters and boiling might not work.

Another thing to think about is if it is already contaminated and you have been drinking it, what will be the side effects? (vomiting, diarrhea) This might cause you to have to drink more water than is planned in your supply.

You will also have to have water for hygiene. Sometimes you can use the contaminated water, sometimes you cant.( no matter what you can NOT use it on very young, old or sick).

Dishes and pots will also have to be cleaned.

With a three day supply it will allow you to keep going while building up a supply from outside sources( FED, State, ect...) While it is not a guarantee that they will come quick(Katrina), in this instance in Ohio, they were very quick to respond.

Also security is always an issue with emergencies like these. Riots, fights and robberies over supplies will happen in one form or another.

I want to add that you need to make sure to always have extra water for any and all pets you have. If the water will hurt you it will also them...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Well, Crap,
Kypix, what's your addy again?:lol:
Go to the middle of nowhere. Look out to the horizon. We are just past that.

Too polluted for a well. Too far for "city water." Cistern is the only way to go out here.

kypix

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
Go to the middle of nowhere. Look out to the horizon. We are just past that.

Too polluted for a well. Too far for "city water." Cistern is the only way to go out here.

kypix

I'm going to look into this for storage. What is the construction?

Sent from the county jail.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm going to look into this for storage. What is the construction?
Similar to a small basement with a patio over the top. Don't forget to leave a manhole for maintenance. Seal inside with Thoroseal so chemicals from the concrete don't leach into water. Hook up to gutters and you have free water. Use a some type of diverter to flush the leaves and bird poop out before water enters cistern. Then you need a pump, pressure tank, foot valve, pvc pipe and you are all set.

kypix

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
^cool, thanks! I'm completely renovating our backyard and it will have a largish stone patio.

Hiding one of these under there would be a piece of cake.

Sent from the county jail.

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
Luckily for us, we were up north for a long weekend when we heard about it. I was able to fill up the back of my truck and camper with a nice supply form Wally World and brought it back home for the family :)

I was wondering how many days it would take for people to get goofy around here but so far, so good. I think the main reason is that this isn't a nationwide water shortage so it's coming in pretty steady from everywhere else. That and the gov't and charities have been providing enough for those who couldn't provide their own. Very orderly and calm around here.

The experts also say that you can not filter this microcystin stuff out of the water but I'm still looking into it. We do have a pool out back with perfect chemistry if needed in a pinch. Might have to jump in with a bar of soap in a few days. LOL

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
There are folks that sell pre-made 1,000 and 2,000 gallon concrete tanks and lids. Those are made for septic systems, but can be sealed for potable water. They can be daisy chained together for more capacity. We thought about going the precast route, but that would only give us a couple of weeks worth of water. We use about 900-1,000 gallons a week.

Our cistern holds about 6,000 gallons. You lose some usable capacity - foot valve is a few inches from the bottom, so anything under the valve is not readily accessible.

About 7.5 gallons per CF. Do the math and build whatever size you can afford.

If I were doing it for emergency storage, I would look at precast, ready made tanks.

kypix

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
There are also polymer tanks which can also be buried and don't have some of the problems with concrete. I have no idea which ones are cheaper. My in-laws have a concrete cistern. My house used to have one, but in the 70's they filled it in :( I do have rain barrels that are 50 gallons each. I usually use them to water the flowers, but in an emergency, it could be boiled and be safe to drink.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/5182/1000-gallon-aquifer-low-profile-cistern-act1000-lpb

http://www.aquabarrel.com/product_rain_barrel_complete_cistern.php

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Don't bury plastic. It can float out or collapse.

Don't leave plastic above ground. Daylight can promote algae growth.

I know what the ads say. I just don't believe them.

ymmv
kypix

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
The report I heard was correct that some bottled water companies simply filter the city water then fill those big plastic jugs that get delivered to your homes. I saw this myself so I know it is true.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts