Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
i think one gallon per person per day would be enough for drinking and washing. That's 100 gal for a 3 month supply. Your water heater has about 50 gallons.
my survival kit is built on the idea that i probably won't be at home when something happens-I'm expecting a tsunami much more than nuclear war or something, so I just have a BOB in my car plus two gallons of water and a HIGH QUALITY WATER FILTER. I need to be able to carry everything as I run to high ground... my house is toast in a tsunami! Also, I have some food stored at a friends house (we went to his house recently during the March tsunami warning and found that 20 others and their pets had the same idea).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, I'm storing up for 1 gallon per person a day. You need to have 1/2 a gallon to drink a day.

Anyone buy those water storage containers from The Ready Store? The 3.5 gallon water bricks? Are they good or do you guys suggest something better?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah, I'm storing up for 1 gallon per person a day. You need to have 1/2 a gallon to drink a day.

Anyone buy those water storage containers from The Ready Store? The 3.5 gallon water bricks? Are they good or do you guys suggest something better?
The look like a good product, but they sure are proud of them...not cheap to store that way. When EmergencyEssentials has them in stock you can get a 55g barrel for $70, way more cost efective. Even buying the 5g stackables from the ready store would be a better buy...

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
About a million gallons. Seriously. Dug pond in the back an electric pump well and 2 hand pump wells. That's why living rural is good.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I've got a 10,000 gallon pool in my backyard. And a water filter that can take out the chemicals to make it potable.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I also calculated 1 gallon of water a day per person and keep cases of bottled water in the basement on a wooden shelf away from natural light. I mark and sort by expiration date and cycle a case a month into normal outing and weekend use, last time I checked I have about 20 days worth. We also live rural, have our own well, also a natural spring on the property and 5 gallon water jugs we use when camping for transport if needed. Also aquired some CamelBak MSR water filters that filter 300 Liters of water.

Here is a picture after we recently re-cased a natural spring, about 100 yards from the house.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Where can I get 5 gallon plastic buckets with screw on lids to make a water purification system?

·
Premium Member
128,267 Posts
About a million gallons. Seriously. Dug pond in the back an electric pump well and 2 hand pump wells. That's why living rural is good.

Yes, it is! A decision my family made several years ago and have never regretted.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
In my apartment I was only able to keep 3 five gallon containers and about 2 cases of bottled water. So enough for 2 people for like 9 days.

When I get a house I want to step up to two 50 gallon barrels.

I do have 2 very good portable water filters though.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
(12) 55gal's that I rotate every 6 months

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.