Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Thank you. Pretty much repeated what we learned ... the hard way. Picking the very best water filter is very important. Dead important in fact.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Here in NE-Ohio, we've got an added worry: freezing weather.

Certainly, freezing water is an issue in and of itself, but for those looking for filters, it's also worth remembering that exposure to such low temperatures (freezing/cracking) can cause big issues - and what's worse, the damage may not be visible.

I take the Lifestraws out of our vehicle's trunk storage when it gets cold out. They'll go back for road-trips in our emergency provisions, which makes its way into the hotel room with us.

For those months, I keep a Steripen in the car.

Both methods are stored in our individual emergency packs. I really like the Lifestraw for our vehicles, but for this application, I'm more fond of the form-factor of the Sawyer Mini/Micro, which are compatible with typical "single-use" bottled water. Keeping such a bottle in the pack as a "grab-and-go," I can then also use that bottle, once depleted, with the Sawyer filter. It's really YMMV/personal-preference. :) Just putting my reasoning out there.

I also keep Cholorine Dioxide tablets with our supplies/packs to supplement the Lifestraw/Sawyer Mini/Micro filters.

It's hard to have an all-in-one option, particularly considering size.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
^ To-clarify -

Filters which have not been "wet" will be safe to use, even if they encounter freezing conditions during storage. It's the expansion caused by ice - by the residual water in the devices - that's the problem. :)

I should have made that clearer in my post above. My apologies for any confusion I may have caused!

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
long term storage should be a significant concern for anything you don't use constantly.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I've always stuck with Sawyer Minis because of the versatility. I carry 2 x 1L Smart Water bottles (Mini fits perfectly) whenever I solo hike and once the water has been drunk, one bottle is for "dirty" water and the other for clean/pure. Regardless of filter, though, I always boil. The dirty bottle is squeezed to force the dirty water through the filter and into my pot, the water is boiled, and once cool goes into the clean bottle. In a pinch, I could drink straight from the dirty bottle with filter attached, but I've never needed to. Nice thing is that after a trip, I just recycle and bottles and get new ones for the next trip. Less to have to clean/purify after.

The Sawyer Mini can also be used as part of a gravity fed system. I've never needed enough water for this, but nice to have the option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts