Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey all,

The family and I just moved from a one bedroom apartment to a two bedroom house. We are on well and septic and the thought occurred to me, water filtration. I've seen the ones that hook up to just one faucet. I was looking for a way to filter pretty much all of it. Money is tight so something homemade is the route I am looking for. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Why do you need to filter all the water you use?

If you start in adding unneeded in-line filters (especially to filter the water you use to flush the toilet), you will just be that much more likely to burn up your well pump prematurely.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the ground is already the best filter you can buy. If the water tests out fine, then leave it be. lots better for you than municipal water supply.

Whole home reverse osmosis systems are available from Menards, Lowes, Home Dept...

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...tration-systems/filtration-systems/c-8685.htm
Yes, ground water is the best you can get if they don't dig down to the water table (they have been digging around me.) Not looking to purchase I'd rather have a build/project. I want the experience of making one myself. For some reason I thought lava rocks and a 5 gallon bucket were used in one I saw but haven't had the time (moving sucks) to do research so I thought I'd asked be brightest minds on the internet. ;)

Why do you need to filter all the water you use?

If you start in adding unneeded in-line filters (especially to filter the water you use to flush the toilet), you will just be that much more likely to burn up your well pump prematurely.
I get were your going. I was thinking more along the lines if something were to happen. So that way I would just keep the sorceresses built and ready and slap it in when the moment dictates.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read some articles that chunks of wood make great water filters.
Thanks Groo! That is exactly what I am looking for. I dont care bout drinking well water, hell I grew up on it. Looking for something I could throw together in a pinch.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure yet. The place needs a lot of work. I"ll have more info as I get it. Bunch of other stuff before fun. I'm more tossing around ideas.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
One thing that helped me decide was to get one of the local water filtration outfits to come to my house and sample my water. I learned all kinds of things about the status of my well water that helped in my filtration decisions (which was to get a Costco under the sink unit). And the sampling and the knowledge is free.

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
Lots of choices, many not that expensive when you consider what you are trying to do,provide 100% safe drinking water for your family.
Rhino Whole House Water Filter | EQ-300 | Aquasana

On a well with hard water so got a similar system from Kinetico with a UV sterilizer. I would like to go back in and bypass the filter for the toilets and outside spigots. Seems a waste to filter those.

About to put in a 1500 gal rainwater containment system under the back yard for watering the garden and outdoor plantings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
OK, a few weeks ago I bought a steripen Adventurer opti water purification pen at a flea market. The lady (we know her) who owns it said if It didn't work I could bring it back. Fast forward to Wednesday about 0400. I sent Steripen an email outlining what the "Pen" error light was telling me (Bulb failure, needs replacing). I emailed them and they got right back to me saying that for 27 dollars (7 return shipping and 20 to replace the bulb) they would repair it. AND if it was something else they would let me know beforehand and await my answer. I Told them that I got it at a flea market but that it looked "Like new in the box".

IF they do repair it (heck even getting back to me like this and saying they would repair if for XX is great) they are a good dependable company. I have only heard good things about them. AND seeing as how they open up in anothr 30 minutes I might just call them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts