Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for water barrels for long term storage. I would think the 30 gal. barrels at about 240 lbs would be more manageable than the 55 gal. at 440 lbs. Your ideas and where is the best place to buy them?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to have it planned out and placed where you are going to store them prior to filling them up.

Wherever that may be.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could leave them in a permanent location BUT if I wanted to haul them in a vehicle that would also be a consideration. MAYBE (2) 15 gal. containers. As in all scenarios you have to consider the "what if".

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
30 gallons of water in one container would take up a lot of room.

You may even want to consider 5 gallon gasoline or kerosene jugs (new of course).

I'm unsure if they are considered food grade, but is there a difference in the make up of new plastic containers?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Bought a couple a few years ago on Craigs List. The 30 gallon ones. The tops were not removable. They had the two screw off bungs/plugs on the top. They were ten dollars each.

Make sure they were used for food products, coke syrup etc. If you are using them for water storage you don't want any that were used for solvents/chemicals.

The ones I bought were used for soap from a commercial car wash and were clean inside. Rinsed them out and used them for rain barrels.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Regarding plastic water barrels of whatever size...they may all be too heavy for single family members to move around....or to quickly relocate. A consideration. Also about the plastics, even though the barrels may have had fool type contents in them at one time, beware that sometimes bad plastics get their way into food quality barrels...and pails. Yikes!

So...one needs to be sure to two or things. The first is that the plastic used in the whatever barrel size is safe to use...or certified food quality. There used to be a code somewhere on the barrel that explained all of this, but like tire code reading, I have forgotten what to look for in the exact code wording. Important. Also be sure nothing has been in the barrel that can sicken or kill your....even years later.

One might consider just the expensive USGI or NATO water cans. They are not quite that heavy. Very expensive. Also consider the various now available "Totes" 175 gallong to 250 gallon surplus liquid containers. Same precautions apply. Very heavy, but might be cheaper also. The feeble point here is to be very careful with human water storage. Mistakes can sicken and kill you.

HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered (2) 15 gallon barrels from emergency essentials. $9.00 shipping. Another business wanted $69.55 shipping for same items. Pays to shop around and who knows tomorrow I may find a better deal. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
I am experiencing a bad feeling here. Do not know exactly why other than my sudden concern that ANYTHING currently made in China may be suspect. This might include so called food quality plastics in water storage containers.

They may say "food quality" but are they actually so? What bad plastics COULD be in various Chinese made stuff? Paranoid. But...paranoid enough? Just me. HB of CJ (old coot) Hell of a risk to take. Taking a chance? Dunno fur sure.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am experiencing a bad feeling here. Do not know exactly why other than my sudden concern that ANYTHING currently made in China may be suspect. This might include so called food quality plastics in water storage containers.

They may say "food quality" but are they actually so? What bad plastics COULD be in various Chinese made stuff? Paranoid. But...paranoid enough? Just me. HB of CJ (old coot) Hell of a risk to take. Taking a chance? Dunno fur sure.
I agree totally but, if it says FDA approved and BPA free what else does the average consumer have to go on? and the items don't always say where they are made just to question the fact.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
This might only qualify for a non fiction horror story. We buy some surplus plastic food quality barrels from somewhere; let's say an extract brewery or a pie shop. The barrels employed by the business were brand new and came from the supplier full of various stuff. Obviously the barrels were certified whatever food quality.

But...how do we know for sure? Meanwhile, back in China where all the various aforementioned food quality barrels were made at industrial plant number 283, very bad dangerous toxic lethal plastic was used....to make the barrels. They slip through the USDA inspection process here in the USA for whatever reason.

We buy the food quality surplus plastic barrels made in China. We fill them full of water. The water sits for months, maybe years. We then drink the water. Time is the key factor in the water in fact becoming very toxic. Chemical leaching. In 10 years we all get nasty cancers and die horribly. What are the odds of this happening?

Impossible to calculate. Too many unknowns. The key factor is the substitution of the deadly plastic made at the Chinese factory number 283. It does not matter if the use of the bad plastic was a deliberate thing or not. Maybe, maybe not. Meanwhile, we eventually drink the water then years later die. How can we be sure?

We can not. Like already said by others before me better, at some point you must take things on a matter of faith. I for one, since I am paranoid, have a major problem with that. Is it a real concern? Most likely not. Probably only one chance in ten thousand. But...then again I am paranoid. USGI & NATO gerry cans? HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This might only qualify for a non fiction horror story. We buy some surplus plastic food quality barrels from somewhere; let's say an extract brewery or a pie shop. The barrels employed by the business were brand new and came from the supplier full of various stuff. Obviously the barrels were certified whatever food quality.

But...how do we know for sure? Meanwhile, back in China where all the various aforementioned food quality barrels were made at industrial plant number 283, very bad dangerous toxic lethal plastic was used....to make the barrels. They slip through the USDA inspection process here in the USA for whatever reason.

We buy the food quality surplus plastic barrels made in China. We fill them full of water. The water sits for months, maybe years. We then drink the water. Time is the key factor in the water in fact becoming very toxic. Chemical leaching. In 10 years we all get nasty cancers and die horribly. What are the odds of this happening?

Impossible to calculate. Too many unknowns. The key factor is the substitution of the deadly plastic made at the Chinese factory number 283. It does not matter if the use of the bad plastic was a deliberate thing or not. Maybe, maybe not. Meanwhile, we eventually drink the water then years later die. How can we be sure?

We can not. Like already said by others before me better, at some point you must take things on a matter of faith. I for one, since I am paranoid, have a major problem with that. Is it a real concern? Most likely not. Probably only one chance in ten thousand. But...then again I am paranoid. USGI & NATO gerry cans? HB of CJ (old coot)
If I'm drinking out of the plastic containers years down the road it's because SHTF and I'm probably living day-to-day, respectfully. Until then I would change the water yearly, using the excess water on my garden.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went with two 15 gal. water barrels. It's about 24" high by 15" wide. When full it takes a hand truck to move the 130 lb containers. Also have 2-5 gal. Coleman Blu water carriers with spigots for easy transport. I also have the gal. (iced tea) jugs for easy access. Seems the iced tea jugs are about the thickest gal. jugs you can find and they are excellent filled almost to the top with water and frozen to keep in the cooler. Don't crack and break like the lesser milk jugs.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I have a few USMC 5 gallon Water containers from Desert storm, they look brand new inside, I am sure you can find those on the web. They were given to me by my uncle so I am not sure how much they go for but I am sure they aren't crazy.

http://store.colemans.com/cart/gerry-can-nato-4-cans-p-909.html

Here are some USGI NATO 5 Gal. Gerry cans. #4 of them, pretty good deal apparently. Try and look for surplus stuff like this.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i buy local. last year i bought blue 55 gallon dual bung (bung) barrels for $62 each, new. this year i bought used 50 gallon screw top barrels for $40 each, for washing/bathing etc. i thought $40 was a little much for used barrels but they are in really good condition and had water spigot installed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts