Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get all that I can out of my media. Right now, it's starting to look pretty dirty. Has anyone ever tried to wash it? By that, I mean just rinsing it in water.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
It is very cheap if you buy it correctly. I'm not a fan of trying to clean it as the stuff in the media can be toxic.

You can get 50# bags of sandblasting media (corn cob or walnut) that is a fraction of the cost of tumbling media and the exact same stuff. Rice works also.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I agree w/ loves2, go to a Harbor Freight or feed store & buy 25#-50# bags. You can wash/rinse it, but it needs good drying, like hot sun or warm air dry. Not worth it IMO. I'm also not a big fan of rice. It gets gummy, but you can try it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Agree wiith the previous two posters.

Tumbling media is one of the cheapest consumables for reloading. It is a consumable. Meaning that once its' useful life is up, toss it. In addition by the time you've used it up it's probably some toxic hazmat due to the lead and primer residue buildup.

I'm all over saving money but trying to recycle tumbling media is false economy.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Go to Petsmart or Walmart and look in the pet section for bird litter or lizard litter, not worth the trouble to wash

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to TSC yesterday but they didn't have any. What is bird litter or lizard litter made out of? Same stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and I emailed them to see how much the shipping would be on that 50lb bag.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$25 to ship a 50lb bag.

So $40 shipped for 50lb of corn cob media. Good or bad?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
50 Lbs should last you a long time and if you can't get it local it is a good price.

The lizard media is walnut around here, which is good for real dirty brass, but corn puts a nicer sheen on it.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Do a google search for crushed walnut shell. You'll find many sources. Local feed stores sometimes have ground corn cobb, but I find that fine-med. walnut cleans faster & last longer than corn cobb. At $1/# or less, is a decent price IMO, & 50# would last a shooter 5yrs @ 1000rds a month.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Guys you can buy walnut hulls at the pet supply store real cheap they sell it for the cages of some animal. The ground corn cob is at Wal Mart in the pet supplies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts