Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I accidentally ran my quick stripe filled with underwood 147grn thru a wash cycle and dryer cycle. Looks clean 馃槅 smells great. I will obviously replace those rounds but what do yall think ? Will it go bang?
Jewellery Auto part Font Metal Nickel

Only 1 round stayed attached to the quick strip
Eyebrow Body jewelry Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument

The tips look like they took a beating.

Registered
I'd pull the projectile from one and see what the power looked like. If dry I would take the rest to the range and send 'em. If wet inside, dump the guts and put a drop of oil in the flash hole. Gawd I sound like a safety rep. Ammo is scarce, don't make a habit of this!

Premium Member
That is why I have 9 MM, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP revolvers just to test ammo. But still I refrain from washing them. I had some genuine NATO 9 MM 124 grain that had the primers and case/bullet connection sealed with a fingernail like polish or varnish to waterproof them. don't kow if heat would bother that, but likely.

Reactions: Mike51392

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is why I have 9 MM, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP revolvers just to test ammo. But still I refrain from washing them. I had some genuine NATO 9 MM 124 grain that had the primers and case/bullet connection sealed with a fingernail like polish or varnish to waterproof them. don't kow if heat would bother that, but likely.
This ammo does go to a revolver. I had a s&w 625 in 45acp but I foolishly sold it. I have a scale I'm just to lazy to pull it out and weight a washed round compared to a dry round.

Registered
Mike, as it鈥檚 your gun, I鈥檇 have u try the rounds and share the results. If it was my gun, I鈥檇 just pitch the rounds 馃槀.

Registered
I'd run them. Bet they fire just fine. It's good to cycle your carry ammo from time to time, anyway.

I've had countless .22 shells go through the washer (and drier, sometimes) and still go bang.

Registered
Same as @Cuda66 -

Send them as range/training ammo. And I'd bet they do just fine in terms of function. :)

In terms of external ballistics, if you are intent on comparing this ammo to those that haven't been in the wash, I would recommend comparing them to ammo that's of similar age and which has been carried under similar conditions, for similar duration.

Premium defensive/duty ammo is pretty robust when it comes to being able to withstand harsh conditions, but the truth of the matter is that there will be some degradation of components due to persistent exposure and time. One of my local instructors - Andrew Blubaugh of Apex Shooting and Tactics - wrote this entry in his FB a while ago

My every day carry gun is a Kahr CW9... - Apex Shooting and Tactics | Facebook

^ The context of the post was that of re-chambering ammo that's been jacked-out of one's carry-gun in-preparation for a training day -i.e. it was to demonstrate bullet setback- but there's an extra golden-nugget:

Apex Shooting and Tactics via FB said:
Another issue is time and temperature. Today's powder and primers are durable but I have tested duty ammo after a little more than two years of being carried by LEOs in northeastern Ohio and found many of the rounds have lost 200-300 feet per a second of velocity and that is significant in my book. Testing those around the 12-18 month mark show velocities dropping less than 100fps or nothing at all in some instances.

Since I shoot on a regular basis I tend to unload and load my carry ammo more often making it last only 6-9 months. Most people are only loading and unloading a dozen times a year at best and can just rotate the carry ammo every 12-18 months. Some baulk at this do to the price of defense ammo but in the end it is a cheap insurance policy. The only thing louder than a gun shot is the click of a misfire when a life is on the line.
I think that towards this concern, a once-yearly purge is reasonable. Once every 6 months might be even better, if you live in an area with larger temperature/humidity swings and/or park the vehicle where it is exposed to wider swings.

And yes, like others here, I've accidentally put some through the wash, too - and sometimes not even accidentally (drop a mag in mud? I just pop out all the ammo and it's under the sink or into the wash it goes :) ). I don't believe I've ever also sent it through the drier, even accidentally, but I honestly wouldn't think that would harm it.

Cycle it out on the range for practice - it's always good to know where your defensive cartridges will hit, and also to remember what its recoil impulse feels like in one's hands. :)

Registered
I wonder if they will fire cleaner?

Would be bad to find out they didn't work well as self defense rounds in real life situations. Better to make them range fodder--if they don't perform as well as the unwashed masses, no big deal. Even if the first fired well it would not guarantee that the rest would function normally. As Padraig said, make sure none of these guys squib.

Thankfully it was just 5 rounds and not a whole box full.

Let us know.

Registered
I鈥檝e washed probably 50 rounds in my lifetime and they all were added to my range ammo and all fired perfectly at the range.

Registered
I'd be kinda nervous. Cheaper to buy new rounds than a new gun... at least today it is...
It doesn't work like that, at all.

Worst case is that it's a squib, and the bullet lodges in the barrel...simple thing to pound out, no damage to the gun.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It doesn't work like that, at all.

Worst case is that it's a squib, and the bullet lodges in the barrel...simple thing to pound out, no damage to the gun.
I agree 馃憤. When I first started reloading I followed recipes from reputable companies. I reloaded nuthing but revolver calibers 38spl 357mag and some 45acp (used in s&w 625). I always loaded on the safe side never plus side always in the minus. I started to realize the rounds felt significantly lighter than factory even had a few squib loads. After that I always loaded on the plus 5-10% side and I never loaded another squib load. My reloads all felt like factory loads after that. I never got around to getting a chronograph simply because it wasn't practical for me. I enjoy reloading but as I age it's less and less enjoyable. I loaded 9mm 40sw 45acp for my autos even some 25acp (hand killers) that all went bang. I pounded several projectiles out of several different firearms it didn't hurt them one bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts