Springfield XD Forum banner

did your gun collection start with what was suposed to be your one and only gun?

• Yes

• No. I knew from the begining I wanted more than one gun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on a few other forums about peoples obsession with guns starting with what was going to be their first and only gun (I am one of these people) and I was wondering who else out there started this way

I got my first gun (FEG .380) the day after moving into my current apartment. the day I moved in I witnessed two drug deals, that night I realized a hooker worked the corner just ouside my front door, and the next morning I found the tiers on my car slashed (a little welcome to the neighborhood I guess) thats when I hopped on my 10 speed, biked 10 miles to the only gun shop I knew about at the time and picked up my little .380. I then biked to the gun range and shot a few cans. (let me say, you get some stranged looks biking up to the shooting line lol)

after shooting that little one for a while I started to realize I just liked shooting, and then the obsetion began....a year later I now have FEG .380, XD40SC (second gun), SA GI1911, Norinco SKS, Norinco NHM-91 AK, and a 91-30 Mosin Nagant. (it also looks like I may be getting a ruger single six soon)

so How many people got the gun bug because they baught what was suposed to be their first and only gun?

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
According to me...no.
According to my wife...yes.

Who won?...ME! :)

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
First gun was a crappy old Marlin 22 rifle. It was WELL used by my father, but a wonderful gift. Now I have many weapons and I'm very happy. But I don't have a 22. Hmmmmmm, maybe this should be my next purchase:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The first gun I ever bought was a little H&R .22 revolver. I then picked up a Savage .243 for varmints. As I was about to join the military, I traded the .22 for a single action .22 and then Savage for a Taurus .357. I later sold the .22 to a friend, picked up a 20 ga shotty, traded the .357 for a 9mm and its grown to... well just say it grew to quite a collection. That first gun was purchased in 1989.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
My first gun like many was a .22, I was 13. It was a Marlin 25n bolt action that I still have today, I plan on it being my son's first .22 in a few years. My next gun was purchased by me at 19, a Mossberg 500 followed up that same year with a Russian SKS, then an HK USP, then a S&W 686, the a Huglu O/U. 11 years later I have a safe full of toys so you could say yes....my obession grew.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
First gun was a crappy old Marlin 22 rifle. It was WELL used by my father, but a wonderful gift. Now I have many weapons and I'm very happy. But I don't have a 22. Hmmmmmm, maybe this should be my next purchase:

that is a really fun gun, especially with a tac-65 suppressor on it

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
My first gun was really 5 guns at the same time:

a Marlin Model 70
a Mossberg 185KA
a Remington Model 514
a Springfield Patent 1915 Double barrel
a Springfield unserialed .22 rifle

My dad passed all of the family guns down to me at the same time when I was 12. I suppose it was never in the cards to only have one gun! :mrgreen:

Reactions: Klagz13

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
My first "gun" was a red ryder BB gun. Then a Remington 522 viper 22LR semi auto (predecessor to 597). Then I acquired a 12/20ga 870 Wingmasters..and then a whole bunch more. If I had to have one gun..I'd have to lose about 20. If the government is watching...these just got stolen this morning :D.

Left-Gamo Big Cat 1200FPS Air Rifle (bunnies beware)
Right-Savage 22
Top-870 Express Mag 12ga
Savage 17HMR
Chinese SKS w/ Tapco stock +20rd mags
Keltec PLR 22 on the bottom left
Keltec PLR 16 on the bottom right
XD 45 4" and Keltec P3AT in the middle

PLR16 takes AR-15 conversion mags, and PLR22 takes AR mags.

My newest gun. DPMS Lower/LPK. M1S 20" Varmint Upper, LMT BCG, 4pos stock, ergo grip (nice :cool:)Brunell 6-24x50 scope (got on sale for 60 bucks. Including bipod/scope, build came in under a grand!

22LR Ciener conversion (works great) and 27rd Black Dog mags.

I have ~at least a dozen others in the safe, but they're not "black" like these :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Like most a Daisy Red Ryder at 6 years of age. New gun each year until 12 and got a J. C. Higgins (Sears) .22 autoloader. Over the years a ton of shotguns and rifles and couple of pistols (Ruger Single Six Convertible and Llama .380) and now graduated to my 2nd XD and a Sig Mosquito. Will it stop there; definitely not. Two more additions already in the works.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes it happened to me. I bought a .357 revolver for home defense. I shot it and fell in love with shooting.
I explained it to my wife this way....In my building business, I need different tools for different jobs. That's how I (rightly) justified a garage full of tools. The same thing applied to guns....I needed different guns for different applications.
She seemed to buy it. I acquired a half dozen guns in 6 months, joined gun forums, went to gun shows, took shooting classes etc...and don't see any end in sight!

I told her "Hey, at least I don't play golf"!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Yes. My first was a XD357 for concealed carry. Then I NEEDED a smaller gun for hot weather (Kahr PM45), then a fun gun for target shooting (CZ SP-01 9mm), then a revolver (Ruger Bearcat), then an AK, then a bolt gun for deer hunting, Savage .308. My list is still incomplete, and my wallet weeps. :twisted:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I voted Yes.

I just bought my first gun this week, an XD-9 Service. But I have to say I've really gotten into target shooting at the range, so I wouldn't be surprised if I buy another one somewhere down the line. I'd love a 45, but the cost of ammo would make it hard to shoot regularly.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I have read on a few other forums about peoples obsession with guns starting with what was going to be their first and only gun (I am one of these people) and I was wondering who else out there started this way

I got my first gun (FEG .380) the day after moving into my current apartment. the day I moved in I witnessed two drug deals, that night I realized a hooker worked the corner just ouside my front door, and the next morning I found the tiers on my car slashed (a little welcome to the neighborhood I guess) thats when I hopped on my 10 speed, biked 10 miles to the only gun shop I knew about at the time and picked up my little .380. I then biked to the gun range and shot a few cans. (let me say, you get some stranged looks biking up to the shooting line lol)

after shooting that little one for a while I started to realize I just liked shooting, and then the obsetion began....a year later I now have FEG .380, XD40SC (second gun), SA GI1911, Norinco SKS, Norinco NHM-91 AK, and a 91-30 Mosin Nagant. (it also looks like I may be getting a ruger single six soon)

so How many people got the gun bug because they baught what was suposed to be their first and only gun?
I wanna see that FEG 380...

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
According to me...no.
According to my wife...yes.

Who won?...ME! :)
LOL Same story here, my wife now seems ok with me purchasing another hand gun but still not comfortable with an AR, but she should be after she lets it sink in a little. Lets just hope they aren't banned by then.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
yeah daisy bb gun when i was little. i used to hunt w/ my dad, but those guns were all his. then i hadnt really shot gun sinse i stopped hunting around age 17(31 now). then in feb. when someone broke into my house and stole that safe comfy feeling i used to have in my own home,along w/ all my electronics and some other stuff. i bought myself a xd .45 service for HD. now i have a AR build going, and a list of guns i would like to get. i guess they are like potato chips!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I knew for the start that i wanted more than one. My first was my mossy 500 20ga. I still have that and use it for skeet shooting. The i got my Saiga, then moved onto all my handguns. What i didnt know is that in the short time i have really gotten into shooting i would have acquired 9 guns.

·
Registered
103 Posts
kinda funny that i came across this poll. I just purchased my XD 9 about 2 weeks ago and my wife swears that this is going to be the last pistol. I saw give it a year and I'll have another :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I voted Yes.

I just bought my first gun this week, an XD-9 Service. But I have to say I've really gotten into target shooting at the range, so I wouldn't be surprised if I buy another one somewhere down the line. I'd love a 45, but the cost of ammo would make it hard to shoot regularly.
I feel your pain. I used to have a Ruger SR1911 that was almost too pretty to shoot. Plus, I thought ammo was too high to keep it fed. Now I have and and XD 45 Mod 2 that I really like to shoot. I just need to find the best way to feed it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts