Springfield XD Forum banner

did your gun collection start with what was suposed to be your one and only gun?

• Yes

• No. I knew from the begining I wanted more than one gun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on a few other forums about peoples obsession with guns starting with what was going to be their first and only gun (I am one of these people) and I was wondering who else out there started this way

I got my first gun (FEG .380) the day after moving into my current apartment. the day I moved in I witnessed two drug deals, that night I realized a hooker worked the corner just ouside my front door, and the next morning I found the tiers on my car slashed (a little welcome to the neighborhood I guess) thats when I hopped on my 10 speed, biked 10 miles to the only gun shop I knew about at the time and picked up my little .380. I then biked to the gun range and shot a few cans. (let me say, you get some stranged looks biking up to the shooting line lol)

after shooting that little one for a while I started to realize I just liked shooting, and then the obsetion began....a year later I now have FEG .380, XD40SC (second gun), SA GI1911, Norinco SKS, Norinco NHM-91 AK, and a 91-30 Mosin Nagant. (it also looks like I may be getting a ruger single six soon)

so How many people got the gun bug because they baught what was suposed to be their first and only gun?

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
First gun was a crappy old Marlin 22 rifle. It was WELL used by my father, but a wonderful gift. Now I have many weapons and I'm very happy. But I don't have a 22. Hmmmmmm, maybe this should be my next purchase:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The first gun I ever bought was a little H&R .22 revolver. I then picked up a Savage .243 for varmints. As I was about to join the military, I traded the .22 for a single action .22 and then Savage for a Taurus .357. I later sold the .22 to a friend, picked up a 20 ga shotty, traded the .357 for a 9mm and its grown to... well just say it grew to quite a collection. That first gun was purchased in 1989.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
My first gun like many was a .22, I was 13. It was a Marlin 25n bolt action that I still have today, I plan on it being my son's first .22 in a few years. My next gun was purchased by me at 19, a Mossberg 500 followed up that same year with a Russian SKS, then an HK USP, then a S&W 686, the a Huglu O/U. 11 years later I have a safe full of toys so you could say yes....my obession grew.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
First gun was a crappy old Marlin 22 rifle. It was WELL used by my father, but a wonderful gift. Now I have many weapons and I'm very happy. But I don't have a 22. Hmmmmmm, maybe this should be my next purchase:

that is a really fun gun, especially with a tac-65 suppressor on it

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
My first gun was really 5 guns at the same time:

a Marlin Model 70
a Mossberg 185KA
a Remington Model 514
a Springfield Patent 1915 Double barrel
a Springfield unserialed .22 rifle

My dad passed all of the family guns down to me at the same time when I was 12. I suppose it was never in the cards to only have one gun! :mrgreen:

Reactions: Klagz13

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
My first "gun" was a red ryder BB gun. Then a Remington 522 viper 22LR semi auto (predecessor to 597). Then I acquired a 12/20ga 870 Wingmasters..and then a whole bunch more. If I had to have one gun..I'd have to lose about 20. If the government is watching...these just got stolen this morning :D.

Left-Gamo Big Cat 1200FPS Air Rifle (bunnies beware)
Right-Savage 22
Top-870 Express Mag 12ga
Savage 17HMR
Chinese SKS w/ Tapco stock +20rd mags
Keltec PLR 22 on the bottom left
Keltec PLR 16 on the bottom right
XD 45 4" and Keltec P3AT in the middle

PLR16 takes AR-15 conversion mags, and PLR22 takes AR mags.

My newest gun. DPMS Lower/LPK. M1S 20" Varmint Upper, LMT BCG, 4pos stock, ergo grip (nice :cool:)Brunell 6-24x50 scope (got on sale for 60 bucks. Including bipod/scope, build came in under a grand!

22LR Ciener conversion (works great) and 27rd Black Dog mags.

I have ~at least a dozen others in the safe, but they're not "black" like these :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Like most a Daisy Red Ryder at 6 years of age. New gun each year until 12 and got a J. C. Higgins (Sears) .22 autoloader. Over the years a ton of shotguns and rifles and couple of pistols (Ruger Single Six Convertible and Llama .380) and now graduated to my 2nd XD and a Sig Mosquito. Will it stop there; definitely not. Two more additions already in the works.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes it happened to me. I bought a .357 revolver for home defense. I shot it and fell in love with shooting.
I explained it to my wife this way....In my building business, I need different tools for different jobs. That's how I (rightly) justified a garage full of tools. The same thing applied to guns....I needed different guns for different applications.
She seemed to buy it. I acquired a half dozen guns in 6 months, joined gun forums, went to gun shows, took shooting classes etc...and don't see any end in sight!

I told her "Hey, at least I don't play golf"!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Yes. My first was a XD357 for concealed carry. Then I NEEDED a smaller gun for hot weather (Kahr PM45), then a fun gun for target shooting (CZ SP-01 9mm), then a revolver (Ruger Bearcat), then an AK, then a bolt gun for deer hunting, Savage .308. My list is still incomplete, and my wallet weeps. :twisted:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I voted Yes.

I just bought my first gun this week, an XD-9 Service. But I have to say I've really gotten into target shooting at the range, so I wouldn't be surprised if I buy another one somewhere down the line. I'd love a 45, but the cost of ammo would make it hard to shoot regularly.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I have read on a few other forums about peoples obsession with guns starting with what was going to be their first and only gun (I am one of these people) and I was wondering who else out there started this way

I got my first gun (FEG .380) the day after moving into my current apartment. the day I moved in I witnessed two drug deals, that night I realized a hooker worked the corner just ouside my front door, and the next morning I found the tiers on my car slashed (a little welcome to the neighborhood I guess) thats when I hopped on my 10 speed, biked 10 miles to the only gun shop I knew about at the time and picked up my little .380. I then biked to the gun range and shot a few cans. (let me say, you get some stranged looks biking up to the shooting line lol)

after shooting that little one for a while I started to realize I just liked shooting, and then the obsetion began....a year later I now have FEG .380, XD40SC (second gun), SA GI1911, Norinco SKS, Norinco NHM-91 AK, and a 91-30 Mosin Nagant. (it also looks like I may be getting a ruger single six soon)

so How many people got the gun bug because they baught what was suposed to be their first and only gun?
I wanna see that FEG 380...

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
yeah daisy bb gun when i was little. i used to hunt w/ my dad, but those guns were all his. then i hadnt really shot gun sinse i stopped hunting around age 17(31 now). then in feb. when someone broke into my house and stole that safe comfy feeling i used to have in my own home,along w/ all my electronics and some other stuff. i bought myself a xd .45 service for HD. now i have a AR build going, and a list of guns i would like to get. i guess they are like potato chips!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I knew for the start that i wanted more than one. My first was my mossy 500 20ga. I still have that and use it for skeet shooting. The i got my Saiga, then moved onto all my handguns. What i didnt know is that in the short time i have really gotten into shooting i would have acquired 9 guns.

·
Registered
103 Posts
kinda funny that i came across this poll. I just purchased my XD 9 about 2 weeks ago and my wife swears that this is going to be the last pistol. I saw give it a year and I'll have another :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I voted Yes.

I just bought my first gun this week, an XD-9 Service. But I have to say I've really gotten into target shooting at the range, so I wouldn't be surprised if I buy another one somewhere down the line. I'd love a 45, but the cost of ammo would make it hard to shoot regularly.
I feel your pain. I used to have a Ruger SR1911 that was almost too pretty to shoot. Plus, I thought ammo was too high to keep it fed. Now I have and and XD 45 Mod 2 that I really like to shoot. I just need to find the best way to feed it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.