Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been an XD owner for a while but while at a local gun show went looking for the 9mm subcompact though I didn't care M versus Non. I ran around the show checking out deals and finally locked in on this one and I think it was a great deal it was the XD 9MM SC with an extra high capacity mag and Slant Pro Straight 8(this is the description off SA's site) sights for 439.99 plus tax. When I went to pay and fill out the paperwork the "main guy" got pissed and told his helped the box was miss priced and they were loosing over $100 on that sale. Is that true? was it really that good of a deal. He didn't say anything to me other then muttering "I'm basically paying you to buy this gun" but he was physically shaking so I'm guessing he was upset. Truth be told I would have paid a little more just for the extra mag I didn't even notice the sights. So I wanted some feedback on this.

The next question is this weapon will be mostly for HD but I may get into CC later what should I get extra for this weapon and where should I start? I wanted to get it from guys that may have lights, laser grips, holsters, etc.. before I go buying. Thanks for any and all input like I said

·
Registered
29,874 Posts
Yes, that was a good deal. I'll give the dealer credit for standing by the agreed upon price--I actually had one back out of the deal at the last moment because he did a similar thing, and refused to honor what we agreed on (frickin' scumbag...).

ETA--as for what next:

Ammo. Range time. Classes(Or classes then range time is not a bad idea, either). Repeat.

You'll find out what works for you/doesn't work for you in this process, instead of anonymous strangers on teh inerwebz telling you what they think works for them.

That being said, all (imho) you need for a HD pistol is night sights and a good flashlight--handheld, not weapon mounted. A weaponlight is also nice to have, but before you take that step, get some low light training and learn how to properly use one. I also like to have minimum 5 mags for every pistol I own.

Leave the lasers for the Pink Floyd shows...you'll be better served by taking the money for one and learning how to properly use your weapon (ammo, training, and range time).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great deal i just bought my XD9sc about a week ago for $500 out the door. That was after checking prices etc. and was $10(a box of ammo) better than I could do anywhere else. Keep in mind also that I have the standard sights, so yeah you got a really good deal.

On a side note you got a great gun also. I love mine and although I am a little jealous of the price you got, I consider what I paid fair.

Happy Shooting
Scott

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
sounds like a good deal on the gun. as far as holsters, i just got a crossbreed super tuck for my sc and i like it a lot. just make sure you get a gun belt as well. i waited to see if my regular belt would hold it but its not gonna cut it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that was a good deal. I'll give the dealer credit for standing by the agreed upon price--I actually had one back out of the deal at the last moment because he did a similar thing, and refused to honor what we agreed on (frickin' scumbag...).

ETA--as for what next:

Ammo. Range time. Classes(Or classes then range time is not a bad idea, either). Repeat.

You'll find out what works for you/doesn't work for you in this process, instead of anonymous strangers on teh inerwebz telling you what they think works for them.

That being said, all (imho) you need for a HD pistol is night sights and a good flashlight--handheld, not weapon mounted. A weaponlight is also nice to have, but before you take that step, get some low light training and learn how to properly use one. I also like to have minimum 5 mags for every pistol I own.

Leave the lasers for the Pink Floyd shows...you'll be better served by taking the money for one and learning how to properly use your weapon (ammo, training, and range time).
I think I agree with the range time and ammo, I am thinking the CC class within the next few weeks to get it out of the way and get the paperwork turned in. I have two flashlights a Fenix LD15 but it's a little small and I couldn't turn it on and off easy. I also have the Olight T20 which I'm guessing would work, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If the gun was brand new you got a good deal if it was a used gun not so sure. I was at a show out here in vegas and there was a 40 xdm for $350 used. But alldepends on the condition.

·
Registered
345 Posts

ETA--as for what next:

You won't hear better advice than this. I feel like Cuda66's parrot "What Cuda says, What Cuda says! BWAAKKKK!";)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the gun was brand new you got a good deal if it was a used gun not so sure. I was at a show out here in vegas and there was a 40 xdm for $350 used. But alldepends on the condition.
Yea it was new I was concerned about that at first.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

I agree with all Cuda said*, except this. A cheap laser and a few snap caps can be a good thing to slap on the gun for dry fire practice at home. It's also a way to save $$$ by dry firing for free per click vs 30-50 cents at the range. The smart tip is to only dry fire in a room that is permanently sanitized of all ammo. Even then, aim where a discharge won't harm anyone or anything expensive!

Now, I do agree about tacticool lasers in most cases being a waste or worse -- a danger to your family. If you need a laser at night to hit the target, you are not ID'ing the target as a bad guy and not your kid going potty.

*Well, that and '67 formula S barracuda's are better than the '66 body style...;)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Paid 580$ for mine with the extras, Trijicons and 2 range visits... Sounds like a bangin deal to me.

I'd get a SuperTuck if I was you. Otherwise that baby is GTG.

·
Registered
29,874 Posts
I agree with all Cuda said*, except this. A cheap laser and a few snap caps can be a good thing to slap on the gun for dry fire practice at home. It's also a way to save $$$ by dry firing for free per click vs 30-50 cents at the range. The smart tip is to only dry fire in a room that is permanently sanitized of all ammo. Even then, aim where a discharge won't harm anyone or anything expensive!

Now, I do agree about tacticool lasers in most cases being a waste or worse -- a danger to your family. If you need a laser at night to hit the target, you are not ID'ing the target as a bad guy and not your kid going potty.

*Well, that and '67 formula S barracuda's are better than the '66 body style...;)
I think putting a penny on the front sight is even cheaper than buying a cheap laser...;)

*And the body change in '67 made 'em look...bulky. The fastbacks looked like they had a fat arse, and the notchbacks just didn't look right. BTW--Formula S was not a body style--it was a perfromance package...and I've got a Formula S 273 Commando under my hood.;)

That being said...I'd love to find a 67-69 Formula S convertible at some point...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I've never used snap caps but I'm reading they just let you dry fire without problems? I'm pretty well convinced this was a good deal with the extra HC mag I just hadn't done as much research as I did before my XD 45 ACP so I wasn't sure. I'm not really into the laser thing on this unit although I do have one on the Walther but it's a 22 and mostly for fun and practice. I do believe in a good flash light and have an Olight T20 and a Fenix FD15 which I don't think would be great for HD. A lot of people recommend the SuperTuck and pardon my ignorance but what are the steel clips for? clipping on the inside of your belt?

·
Registered
29,874 Posts
Snap caps will prevent possible damage to your striker retaining pin. Some may debate if they're necesary, I'd call 'em cheap insurance.

For a good flashlight, I'd recommend a Surefire G2Z.

The clips go outside of your belt; the holster goes inside the wasitband of your pants.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would consider that a great deal.

Here comes the shameless plug...

Hell, I got mine up f/s at $500 w/ factory accys , like new, w/<400 rnds thru her, 3 xtra mags, 2 xtra holsters & 1 xtra single mag holster, 4 grip ext, uplula loader...hard times otherwise i'ld keep her.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.