Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to change the look of my new AK. I was not a fan of the natural wood color. I went to the Homedepot and got some minwax charcol grey stain. Honestly, I am still unsure if I like it. Let me know what you think and maybe help me make up my mind.:confused: Sorry pic is blurry, my camera is acting up.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
sorry i dont like it lol, but it doesnt matter since its not my rifle ;) it looks like slate blue to me:confused: a better pic in sunlight would probably help out alot to!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree, I don't care for it. In my opinion, that's one of the unique things about the ak. I like the wood, I prefer the red over the natural. I have always wanted to get one and try to finish the wood in a super smooth high gloss, along the lines of a high dollar hunting rifle.
Personally, I would re-finish the wood and buy some black stocks so you can change back and forth when the mood strikes.
On a positive note, looks like a job well done. Maybe another color? Dark maroon?
Keep doin it, boredom and hobbies can lead to some cool things!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Y'all think a sand and black stain would look good?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i like the black AKs so i think either a dark stain or black paint. i hate wood though on any gun, except for the colorful laminate on target rifles

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I think the wood would look good stained in either russian red or black.

It really doesn't matter though, if you like it than keep it. You can be sure that no one else has an AK that looks like yours!

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
Set some black, green, and tan...do a 'tiger stripe' camo job.
or just white and black, or white and grey since that looks like a light blue would make a nice winter camo.

it doesnt look bad. I havent seen a blue/gray AK before, it doesnt look poorly done, maybe just some getting used to.

I would wait on the re do, maybe it will grow on you a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I might be way off in my thinking, but I love the look of an AK with beat up wood and the metal finish worn off that it almost looks polished...a true battle rifle...kinda like the pics of beat up AKs currently in use in the hot zone's of the world. Don't get me wrong...a "new" shiny AK looks great but a beat up one just looks awesome.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really I wanted to see if people would be honest and you folks were. I hate it and so does the wife, all she could do was say "it doesn't look like the picture" (damn you woman). It was supposed to be a stain but was so damn thick I could not get it to work. It was supposed to look somewhat like a grey urban camo color, but as you can see that did not happen. I never claim to be a wood working master, and I probably never will. I am ordering some black polymer furniture in the near future, so then people can tell me they don't like it "tacticool". lol!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Really I wanted to see if people would be honest and you folks were. I hate it and so does the wife, all she could do was say "it doesn't look like the picture" (damn you woman). It was supposed to be a stain but was so damn thick I could not get it to work. It was supposed to look somewhat like a grey urban camo color, but as you can see that did not happen. I never claim to be a wood working master, and I probably never will. I am ordering some black polymer furniture in the near future, so then people can tell me they don't like it "tacticool". lol!

Don't beat yourself up over it....pull off your furniture, strip and sand it and start over...that's the great thing about wood...hey...at least you took a chance.

I have a set that I stripped and sanded and never got back around to refinishing because I think it looks better that way...bu that's just my opinion

·
Registered
992 Posts
Why not try again? You've got the leftover can of stain, I assume?

Stain doesn't respond well to thick application. You can apply it liberally, but you really need to wipe off all the excess or else it acts like a flimsy layer of paint. The idea here is to give the wood some color, but to let the wood grain do its thing. The wood will only accept so much stain, and different grain patterns will accept the color in a different manor. I say strip it down and give it another try. You may wind up with something that you like! You've already spent the money on the stain, why not try a second time?

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I probably will re-refinish it. Its not that I do not like the wood look, its that I wanted it to be blonde but my furniture has such dark marking I do not think it will look good. I do not like red AK's, I have never liked the color red. So, I probably will do some sort of medium brown. Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I mentioned here awhile back about doing a transparent black stock set. I had found the black wood dye (dye is the look you're probably after).... I wanted the grain of the walnut stock set I was having made to show through a nice see through black. Well I got my wood in and the grain was so nice that I went for a boiled linseed oil rub instead and it is so nice. Like a high end hunting rifle look.

If you're after a dark color that you can see through..Look into TransTint Wood dyes.

This is a sample of the dye I was interested in:

My old furniture was off the Lancaster Russian Red 3060 model. And while I didn't mind the red color..it looked nice..i'm all about the boiled linseed oil look now :eek:

I might be way off in my thinking, but I love the look of an AK with beat up wood and the metal finish worn off that it almost looks polished...a true battle rifle...kinda like the pics of beat up AKs currently in use in the hot zone's of the world. Don't get me wrong...a "new" shiny AK looks great but a beat up one just looks awesome.
I'm with you there. I actually scotch brite my steel to take away some of the newness.

I love this ak.

is that not beautiful?

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I probably will re-refinish it. Its not that I do not like the wood look, its that I wanted it to be blonde but my furniture has such dark marking I do not think it will look good. I do not like red AK's, I have never liked the color red. So, I probably will do some sort of medium brown. Live and learn.

bleach the wood if you want it lighter.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 47 Posts