Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some negative things about the XD-40 in comparison to the 9mm. Two weeks ago, I was in Gander Mountain with my best friend shopping for his first handgun. After weighing all of the factors that would affect his purchase, we settled on the XD-9. As a matter of fact, his exact words were, "I'll get one if you get one..." Well, that wasn't a problem :D

They only had one new 9mm, and one new .40S&W. Since he was the novice, I advised him to get the 9mm, and I'd buy the .40. As soon as we left the store, I thought "Oh man, what have I done? I should've gotten something else." Then I read some negative reports on here.

Well, well, well, we went to my brother's farm yesterday and shot the daylights out of both guns [for the primary purpose of getting my friend accustomed to his first firearm]. Both XD's performed beautifully. I was relieved, but not really surprised. I have read, and heard, much more positive than negative feedback here.

Also, how do you like this: My friend has never shot a handgun. I explained the safety rules and how to aim, etc...His first shot ever hit the bullseye dead center at 15 yards!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was impressed by my 40 as well. I would say the xd is a great first pistole for your friend mainly from the ease of maintenece. Last time i went to the range the first 4 out the barrel went through the same hole(independence ammo)! this obveously wasn't the first time I shot the pistol but it was that day. the only malfunction I had was a FTF from ussing 40 in a 9mm mag.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I own a .40 service. Love it. Had some FTF issues that were mag related; fixed them myself. Enjoy your new XD; don't worry be happy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My XD40 was my first firearm purchase. I had tried about five or six different weapons, and the day I shot the XD40 I had also shot a *HACKCOUGHSPIT* Glock in 40SW. The Glock was a very poor performing weapon in my hands. At 7 yards I shot all over the target. Went back and rented the XD. 40 of 50 in the 9/10/X ring, other 10 in 8 ring. Grip just felt more natural, akin to the 1911. The Glock did not feel like it pointed properly.

800+ rounds in three months and no feed, fire or extraction failures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts