Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the extractor and gave it a little bend in an attempt to loosen it up due to the terrible luck I have had with an otherwise beautiful, high quality firearm. Then I went to the range. I was ultra careful to not limp wrist and to not drag any finger or thumb anywhere. I even shot terrible because I just wasn't worried about accuracy. I only concentrated on keeping everything out of the way of the gun and holding it steady. I just wanted to see if all the hope I have in this gun would play out...

The first thing I tried was a 47D full of WWB JHP. I wanted to see if it would feed all 8 when it is clean.

Magazine number:
1: Last round FTRB, I dropped the round and re-fed it without issue.

The rest of the magazines were WWB FMJ.
2: 2nd round FTRB, 6th round FTRB
3: 4th round FTRB
4: Last round FTRB
5: All good
6: All good
7: 6th round FTRB
8: All good
9: All good
10: Last round FTRB
11: 1st round FTRB
12: Only 6 rounds left for this mag but all good.

Once it even failed when I loaded it. I did the slingshot and it still locked up.

All rounds were immediately re-fed and the gun functioned properly. None of these FTRBs could be solved with a tap on the back of the slide. They have to be dropped and reloaded. All rounds that failed had a pronounced mark on the case running parallel to the mouth of the case about a quarter inch long and maybe an eighth of an inch back from the mouth of the case.
Pissed off, I pulled my XD40 Service from its concealed carry holster and popped 12 perfect rounds into that freakin' target. :cool:

So 94 rounds, 9 failures=10.4%

$1200 gun x 10.4%= this gun is worth $125.33 plus a few dollars for aesthetics

Honestly guys, I feel sick.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Ehhh.... Sounds like it is time for a trip back to the factory for some reworking to be done... Sucks when your $500 gun outruns your $1200 1911...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ftrb?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Failure to Return To Battery

Also sometimes FRB.

It means the slide stops about 1/2" short of "all the way forward". It is usually caused by a round being jammed up. I personally think the line between this and FTF is a thin one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How many rounds have you shot through the gun total? Are the rounds completely clear of the magazine when they jam? If they are I'd say its not the mags.

I had a few problems with my warrior early in the first 500 rds but it has been trouble free since.

After going to 1911 armorer's school until you've done it and have developed a feel for it adjusting the tension on a 1911 extractor is kind of voodoo. Its also somthing if your messing with it it needs to be adjusted at the range to tweek till you get it correct.

You may need to send the gun back for a polish and a chamber ream. I have never verified it but I understand Kimber chambers are slightly undersized which can lead to feeding problems like those your having.

Don't give up on it. I know it can be frustrating and we expect a $1000 gun run better. But honestly I've seen every make of 1911 choke once in a while.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
When checking a gun's function using WWB, make sure you check all of the rounds by pushing down on them with your thumb first. I have found many times that rounds that FRB are loose in the case and when they hit the ramp, they stop because the bullet moves back in the case, and causes a jam. Blazer Brass will do it too. You need to remember this is the cheapest ammo the two companies can supply to Walmart. I have a few somewhere that I will post pictures of when I get a chance.
As for the thread, I'd send the gun back to Kimber, they'll make it right.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I dunno, any factory ammo should feed through a gun, I think my STI and my SA 1911's would feed dog turns if I could load them into a mag..lol

I would send it back to Kimber and ask them to make it right.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
It a shame that you have been through this.

Since you've already invested so much in the pistol... I believe I would take it to a local smith and have it set up... you're already into it.. so why not?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I have found many times that rounds that FRB are loose in the case and when they hit the ramp, they stop because the bullet moves back in the case, and causes a jam. Blazer Brass will do it too.
+1

I have that exact problem with Blazer Brass in my Wilson. I can reload the very same brass with a slight taper crimp and it runs fine.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Sounds like a slide stop issue to me. Order a wilson bulletproof and be done with the issue. Or I'll trade a stainless Springer Loaded with S&A magwell and Black Micarta grips that is 100% reliable and accurate as hell to boot across the board for it.;)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a slide stop issue to me. Order a wilson bulletproof and be done with the issue. Or I'll trade a stainless Springer Loaded with S&A magwell and Black Micarta grips that is 100% reliable and accurate as hell to boot across the board for it.;)
pics? :p

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Sorry you have had such troubles. My TLE II was 100% out of the box and so far, an amazing 1911 that I dearly love.

Unless you're having slide lockback with rounds left in the magazine...I'd rule out the slide stop. Yes, the Wilson Bulletproof Slide Stop is a fantastic piece (I have one in my Combat Commander) but I don't think that will solve a FTRB problem.

Extractor? Again, probably not the culprit. If youre getting stovepipes or other failures to extract after firing....or if you get slidelock and a empty remains in the ejection port...THEN you have an extractor problem. I faced THAT demon in my old Colts as well and the Wilson Bulletproof Extractor cured that from happening. A great part...but chances are you don't need it.

I would guess that maybe you have a recoil spring problem. The spring might be a tad weak and does not have enough "oomph" to bring the slide foreward smartly. You might want to try a Wolff replacement spring that runs 2-4 pounds heavier. This is MUCH cheaper than replacing extractors and slide stops. Don't overspring your pistol...that creates ANOTHER set of problems. Try a recoil spring of 2-4 pounds heavier tension before you give up and trade it or send it to Kimber.

(probably all Kimber will do is replace the recoil spring test it and hand it back to you...LOL)

Also, WWB is loaded a tad on the light side, but I run it through my Colt Combat Commander with its Wilson Extra Power recoil spring and it feeds perfect. Try another brand of ammo if you want but my money is on the lazy recoil spring.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about 1911's, but for what its worth, Ive seen more than a few threads with people's Kimber Warriors having a ridiculously tight chamber, leading to feeding issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same luck with a Desert Warrior. Twice back to Kimber and still not 100% for what they charge I cannot believe the results I had. I now have a Dan Wesson Bobtail commander and couldnt be happier. Life is to short to mess with a gun you will always doubt in the back of your head.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I third or fourth sending it back to Kimber. I've coveted the pistol you own but due to problems a neighbor at work had w/his, along w/Kimber's crappy attitude after the sale I decided to stay w/SA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts