Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm attending the Warrior Conference this year in Reno and I thought I'd do a blog of the week, so here goes.

Tactical cat checks the gear, he approves

The first day, all night and most of the next day was driving to Reno, yuck. 28 hours. Yuck again.

We did roll by the infamous Salt Flats, that was cool.

Cruise control set to ludicrous speed across the desert.
:cool:

OK, that's it. More tomorrow when stuff actually get started, time to catch up on the drive fatigue.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
Nice speedometer shot. And tactical cats are a must these days :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Wow, 2450 RPM @ 97 MPH.
Dat be good! Whatcha driving?

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
You didn't fly why?

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, day two.

OK so day one was really just registering and getting settled in and doing a bit of meet and greet type stuff. Not alot to really blog about other than arranging for Rob Pincus/I.C.E. to come and teach his Combat Focus Shooting and Advanced Pistol Handling courses at CFA this coming May, details on that to follow.

more info
I.C.E. Training | Home

Today was our first real training day and Jason and I worked with Larry Yatch and Dustin Salomon of Sealed Mindset

Personal Safety Training - Family Safety - Corporate Travel Safety | Sealed Mindset

We are taking their Patrol Rifle Instructor course.
(condensed version)

Today was classroom and dry fire and tomorrow is range. These guys have some very smooth methods and techniques for fighting as efficiently as possible with little wasted movement or effort. Larry is an 11 year SEAL vet with tons of combat deployments. Dustin is also a Navy vet with lots of private security work experience in some nasty places.

Their instruction methods are top notch as well and much productive time was spent both in functional drills and learning how to bring folks up to speed quickly from an instructors perspective.

More on Sealed Mindset tomorrow and hopefully some pics if I can remember to break out the camera!

Time to run some dry fire drills in preparation for tomorrow, did I mention my arms hurt??

Out for now.........

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day 3, live range day.

Spent the, morning with Larry and Dustin at the range reinforcing drills learned yesterday and some stuff as well, I have some good vids to upload but they'll have to wait for a better connection, so here's a couple quick pics

Everybody but Jason and Me, Jason was pretty sick from some bad food and was ordered to stand down for the day, I took the pic

Larry taking the pic so I could get in it.

That's a bout it for now, I'll round this blog out and add some good stuff to it when I get home.

More training in the AM and then the long drive home.

More soon

·
Super Moderator
46,389 Posts
Day 3, live range day.

Spent the, morning with Larry and Dustin at the range reinforcing drills learned yesterday and some stuff as well, I have some good vids to upload but they'll have to wait for a better connection, so here's a couple quick pics

Everybody but Jason and Me, Jason was pretty sick from some bad food and was ordered to stand down for the day, I took the pic

Larry taking the pic so I could get in it.

That's a bout it for now, I'll round this blog out and add some good stuff to it when I get home.

More training in the AM and then the long drive home.

More soon

Drive safe brother.....

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whew! Good to be home!

We ended up spending most of our time training with Larry and Dustin, I did participate in a Handgun Combatives course that was also very enlightening and had good info but I was honestly so impressed with Larry and Dustin's program that I can't help but focus on them.

I'll just post some vids and do a little explanation on them and that'll get my point across very well.

First vid.
This is Larry and Dustin doing some static range work. Notice that every time either of them finishes a string of fire, they look up and then to each side.

While this is for situational awareness, it is more to break the target focus we get when shooting. Doing it every time you break your sight picture ingrains this into your muscle memory and will prevent you from becoming so target fixated in a gunfight that you loose your situational awareness.
It's a simple thing, but could save your life or that of a teammate.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These next two vids concern movement and covering fire, some of you may be familiar with this concept as "bounding overwatch"

The first vid is just a quick demo of it, the second is the meat and potatoes, and gives some key insight into timing of the bounds and how long they can/should go.

There is also some other key stuff in the second vid so listen close.
(Sorry the audio is not better but these were shot with my iPhone)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These last two are vids from Sealed Mindset, the first is some footage of the course in Reno, the second is a shameless plug that I am putting up for Larry and Dusty, they ARE that good and so is their program!

Talk to you guys more soon!

yes, I DID drop the mag vs pulling the trigger at the 59 sec mark (oops)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So that was pretty much my trip to Reno and the Warrior Conference 2010

I'll leave the thread open for any questions or comments.

·
Banned
290 Posts
Based on your AR experiences at this conference what are your thoughts on sling type, i.e., two point versus single point? I asked a similar question in the AR room and always like to hear various thoughts on pro's con's etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used a Magpul MS2 sling and loved it.

It can go from 2 point to single point in about 2 seconds, can also be completely detached from the weapon in about 1/4 second.

One thing I REALLY liked about it was that we did a lot of High Port presentations and traveling, this is with the gun pointed straight up clamped between the strong side bicep and ribs. Some of the other single point slings could not do this and had to go two point or no sling, the MS2 accommodated this with ease and also could easily swithch from one shoulder to the other.

When traveling, I could rotate it to hang directly in front, to my weak side or straight down behind me in single point

Or could sling it up two point and go diagonally across the back.

I pretty much think I'm stuck on the MS2 for it's versatility, heres a vid of Chris Costa showing it off at the 2009 Shot show and it really does work as well as he demos it out.

(Yeah I am a major Magpul fan, but thier kit works, so how can you not be?)

PS I am also running the Ambi Sling Attachemnt Point that Costa mentions in the first part of the vid. It works great and is a big part of what makes the MS2 so versatile.

(Milspec Monkey annoys me, but the rest of the vid is good. )

·
Banned
290 Posts
Ya, I have the Magpul Dynamic Carbine vid's and Costa and Haley make everything look pretty easy and I have to think at least part of the ease of gun manipulation has to do with the sling they use. I like my Viking Tactical but I have tried doing some of what the Magpul boys do with it and it's just a no go. Might as well be tying myself up with my own sling when it comes to changing sides and especially so while doing it on the ground. Thanks for the videos in this thread.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The way Costa handled that AR.....it was like art.

and the kid doing the interview? At least he named his production appropriately:

he really did look like a monkey compared to Costa. Wow. As soon as I get an AR, I'm buying that sling system.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's like anything else....practice, practice, practice.
Costa did not get that smooth and precise by thinking about it, he practiced, thousands of reps probably.

You don't have to live fire all the time. There is alot of proficiency that can be gained by just weapons handling with a triple checked gun.

Watch the vid of the classroom work with Sealed Mindset again, they really stress weapons handling and dry fire drills.

Dry fire may not be as fun as live fire and live fire must also be done, but dry fire pays huge dividends if practiced regularly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts