1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I went with the yugo and after a good cleaning, It's a really nice rifle.Just make sure you get all the cosmoline off of it and you should be good to go.Mine shoots great and just make sure all the numbers match so that way you know your not getting a parts gun.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Y'll ain't gonna believe this, but I looked at a Norinco SKS today in a pawn shop, beat to shlt, no mag, rusted.... and they wanted $300 for it! Of course, they also had an Iberia in .40 marked at $200, and other "deals" priced in the same gouger fashion. Is it any wonder I see the same guns for sale every time I go in there?

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
By the way, a good way to get that cosmo off is to blast the metal (only the metal!) with brake cleaner.

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
By the way, a good way to get that cosmo off is to blast the metal (only the metal!) with brake cleaner.
i dunno i never tried break cleaner on a gun, many curio guys will do the hang in a plastic bag method. Since the poster is in new mexico it must still get in the 80s there even in the winter right ?

well you get a black plastic bag, to catch the cosmo, and to attack heat from the sun, simply hang the gun so the melted cosmo can drip down the barrel. I think it melts at 130 degrees, maybe a bit more. At any rate in the desert in a black bag, or a car trunk, or closed garage door etc you should be able to reach those temps quite easily.

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

surplus rifle has a few good cosmo removing tips if you scan through the articles ... another is a mr. heater heat tube contractors use piped into two steel trash cans to cook the cosmo off.

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2005) - Surplusrifle.com

i get the cheap one myself, on the low end at $175-200 but even up to $300 the sks is a smoking bargain. but its just that much sweeter when you get such a good gun for under $200.

i would get the $179 M59/66 Cal. 7.62 x 39 mm from samco, especially if you are a CR and can get it mailed to your door and dont pay for transder, wooo hooo what a deal.

i am always skeptical of claims of condition on a gun that i dont get some sort of guarantee on, its not like a third party rates these guns with guarantee of condition. So that being said, and the utilitarian nature of the SKS i would just go cheap.

and at that price i would ask dad, bro, and buddies if they want one, and you are in fact a CR dealer, shipped to your door a $179 sks is darn near impossible value beat. It certainly wont be worth your time to find one much cheaper your time is money, and gas is $, thats the one i would get.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Since the poster is in new mexico it must still get in the 80s there even in the winter right ?

quote]

HAHAHA

i wish. unless you are in the very far south of the state, you are lucky to break 50 in the winter. high today was 50, but its been unusually warm. I just wish global warming would hurry up and reach albuquerque:mrgreen:

anyways, thanks for the info, i am a CR dealer, although all i have used it for is discounts on gun accessories on midway and grafs!

as far as getting one for my dad and brother, i wonder if i am allowed to order them one with my license?

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
Since the poster is in new mexico it must still get in the 80s there even in the winter right ?

quote]

HAHAHA

i wish. unless you are in the very far south of the state, you are lucky to break 50 in the winter. high today was 50, but its been unusually warm. I just wish global warming would hurry up and reach albuquerque:mrgreen:

anyways, thanks for the info, i am a CR dealer, although all i have used it for is discounts on gun accessories on midway and grafs!

as far as getting one for my dad and brother, i wonder if i am allowed to order them one with my license?
in michigan you could. Ship to your house, then jsut sell them the gun private party. We can buy guns at garage sales, out of classifieds, estate sales etc. Well LONG guns, any rifle or shotgun. You dont need paperwork, no police involved etc.

Call your local police they should be able to show you the law.

Or one of the other New mexico folks might know. Many dare i say most states allow you to sell long guns private party no paper work.

hmmm 50 degree's huh. Who'da thunk it. I knew the desert was cold at night, i thought your day time temps were high all year round (well relative to michigan that is, high is all relative), of course colder in the winter but i figured ahhh 110 degrees at noon in the summer= 80 degrees in the winter.

guess i was off by a bit.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
in michigan you could. Ship to your house, then jsut sell them the gun private party. We can buy guns at garage sales, out of classifieds, estate sales etc. Well LONG guns, any rifle or shotgun. You dont need paperwork, no police involved etc.

Call your local police they should be able to show you the law.

Or one of the other New mexico folks might know. Many dare i say most states allow you to sell long guns private party no paper work.

hmmm 50 degree's huh. Who'da thunk it. I knew the desert was cold at night, i thought your day time temps were high all year round (well relative to michigan that is, high is all relative), of course colder in the winter but i figured ahhh 110 degrees at noon in the summer= 80 degrees in the winter.

guess i was off by a bit.
Missed it by one state (spoken in a Maxwell Smart voice) Arizona we had mid 80's today.

The plastic bag is a good idea, but to be honest I'd never heard of it, and have used the brake cleaner method in the past. I guess I'll give that a try someday.

Thanks for the links !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts