Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaning hard towards the m&p15 sport. Will be for plinking and HD.

I have one of three pistols to sell to go to the purchase (xd40sc fnx 40 m&p45c) maybe.

Sooooo what are your guy's thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I have heard good things about the M&P15's. I have a M&P15-22 and it has been great. And S&W have a good CS. Off the shelf AR for under $700 it is a good choice. Hunt around and you might find one under $600

·
Registered
461 Posts
Finally bought one this year and am very happy with it! Of course I only use brass ammo with it, no cheap Russian ammo. Have put about 500 rds thru it with no problems. Great rifle for the money, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
i get the feeling you wont.

buy your 16 inch rifle, shoot the hell out of it. Submit an ATF Form 1 (I hear the eForms are back) as soon as you get it home. When you get your stamp back you can shorten it so that it's a more effective house gun. once you realize that a 10 inch barrel is no more accurate than a 16 inch barrel and by god it is easier to maneuver around the house, you'll end up selling the 16" upper to some schmuck on the interwebs during the next panic and come out close to even.

or chop it.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Ok now you've peaked my interest. Is that a hard thing to get approved?
GOD no, especially when done as a trust, that way you can eFile and get a faster turn around without the fingerprint cards, photos, or signature crap. Otherwise an individual submission requires some finger print cards, a few photos, and your CLEO to sign off on it (which i can't imagine you having a problem with in TX) as well as a snail mail submission instead of electronic.

Setting up a trust is simple. While I will ALWAYS suggest that a lawyer do it for you, SilencerShop.com has a great service and they wont steer you wrong.

·
Banned
0 Posts
If we are talking SBR don't forget the suppressor. shooting guns indoors is very loud. I do recommend a trust because CLEO signature even in Texas is not an easy thing. Mine won't sign anything. Also you can have other people on the trust so they can have access to use. It would really suck if your wife grabbed your SBR to defend herself and committed a felony. In addition if you lose your 2nd amendment rights they can't take your weapon.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
If OP is selling a pistol to fund the entire purchase, suppressors and SBR's aren't realistic.

The M&P sport is a nice gun, however for that same price I'd buy a lower, and rifle kit from PSA for $600,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
0 Posts
If OP is selling a pistol to fund the entire purchase, suppressors and SBR's aren't realistic.

The M&P sport is a nice gun, however for that same price I'd buy a lower, and rifle kit from PSA for $600,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It might cover the Tax stamps.:p

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm leaning hard towards the m&p15 sport. Will be for plinking and HD.
Personally, as a first AR, I like your original choice. For $600, you get a rifle that is ready to go out of the box. Unless you live in a really bad neighborhood, you will probably use it in the plinking mode more than HD. Also, a 16 inch barrel is quite usable in the HD role. How many 12 ga pumps are used for the same thing?

I love my M&P Sport. I don't think you would be disappointed with it as your first MSR.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Personally, as a first AR, I like your original choice. For $600, you get a rifle that is ready to go out of the box. Unless you live in a really bad neighborhood, you will probably use it in the plinking mode more than HD. Also, a 16 inch barrel is quite usable in the HD role. How many 12 ga pumps are used for the same thing?

I love my M&P Sport. I don't think you would be disappointed with it as your first MSR.
Don't you mean unless he lives in Fallujah? Even the worst neighborhood in the States, you can eliminate the word "probably."

Go with PSA. You're not going to regret it.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Then why not get an AR pistol with a Sig Brace and forget all the paperwork? Honestly I'd just get a 16 for your first and use that M&P 45 for HD.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
GOD no, especially when done as a trust, that way you can eFile and get a faster turn around without the fingerprint cards, photos, or signature crap. Otherwise an individual submission requires some finger print cards, a few photos, and your CLEO to sign off on it (which i can't imagine you having a problem with in TX) as well as a snail mail submission instead of electronic.

Setting up a trust is simple. While I will ALWAYS suggest that a lawyer do it for you, SilencerShop.com has a great service and they wont steer you wrong.
You do realize that the eForms system (not eFile - that's for income tax) is basically down indefinitely right now, right?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Don't even worry about getting an SBR right now. Buy the S&W, it's a great gun and will work fine for home defense. If you love the M&P you can move into a SBR and suppressor set up later. I would honestly rather have a pistol with a suppressor for home defense before I had an SBR. AR's are like 1911's, you are probably not going to have just one.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts