Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that the lower receiver for a 6.8 is the same as a 5.56. Is this correct?

·
Registered
725 Posts
As I understand, the 6.8SPC was developed specifically as an upgrade to the 5.56x45. This means the lower remains intact, and a 6.8 upper will be entirely compatible with it. The change will be the barrel and bolt, maybe the bolt carrier. Not really sure about that one. I think the AR mags even still work, though at lower capacity.

·
Registered
725 Posts
In fact, I'm pretty sure you can make uppers in .458 SOCOM, 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, maybe even .300BLK, but don't quote me on that. You can have .22LR or 9x19. As long as the bullet is short enough to fit through the mag well, it's just a matter of the barrel and the bolt, maybe the bolt carrier. The lower is pretty much just there to house the trigger and hammer, and hold it all together.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just sold my DPMS 6.8 AR, so I'll toss my experience in here...

You CAN use the 5.56 lower AND upper for 6.8SPC. The only parts I changed were the barrel and the bolt. The bolt carrier is the same. Really easy to convert, and honestly, the recoil isn't any different between the two. I loved my 6.8, but I wantedsomething cheaper to shoot, so I sold it and I'm picking up a 5.56 in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I read that the lower receiver for a 6.8 is the same as a 5.56. Is this correct?

I currently have 2 lowers, one Daniels Defence, and one BCM, both marked 5.56. I have a 5.56 and a 6.8SPC upper for each of them. In the past, I have had 2 other 6.8SPC uppers, and have always used a standard lower. Lately, many companies are marking their lowers Multi-Caliber.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Been contemplating this but finances are tight...:)

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'd love to build or buy one but unless you reload the rounds seem to be at least $1 a piece everywhere I look so I'd never want to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Even reloading doesn't come close to the 5.56 in cost, so IMO the 6.8 definitely isn't a high round count shooting platform.

However, for hunting medium sized game, it excels with the proper ammo, and the hunting rounds in 6.8 are on a par with any other good hunting cartridge price-wise.

If you like the AR platform, and the 5.56 is not legal in your state for hunting, or you feel that it is just a bit too small, the 6.8 is for you.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Even reloading doesn't come close to the 5.56 in cost, so IMO the 6.8 definitely isn't a high round count shooting platform.

However, for hunting medium sized game, it excels with the proper ammo, and the hunting rounds in 6.8 are on a par with any other good hunting cartridge price-wise.

If you like the AR platform, and the 5.56 is not legal in your state for hunting, or you feel that it is just a bit too small, the 6.8 is for you.
At that point why not an AR-10? .308 is half the cost of 6.8 and plenty of take down for hunting.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
An AR-10 would be close to double the cost of an AR-15/ 6.8spc initially. I have looked at both closely and am still pondering the 6.8. Since I have a Hbar M4gery, I am not pushing the issue, but I am still wanting one.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
An AR-10 would be close to double the cost of an AR-15/ 6.8spc initially. I have looked at both closely and am still pondering the 6.8. Since I have a Hbar M4gery, I am not pushing the issue, but I am still wanting one.
How does it double the cost, if you are starting with a 5.56 lower you already have to save money that puts you ahead $250 at most. 1,000 rounds later you have save $500. If you just want a 6.8 cool, but it's not a cost saver.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You can't put an AR-10 upper on an AR-15 lower.....

You can build/purchase a complete 6.8 SPC upper that will fit on a 5.56 lower for approximately half the cost of a complete rifle, depending, of course, on how upscale each upper/lower component is.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You can't put an AR-10 upper on an AR-15 lower.....

You can build/purchase a complete 6.8 SPC upper that will fit on a 5.56 lower for approximately half the cost of a complete rifle, depending, of course, on how upscale each upper/lower component is.
This

AR-10 lower is a completely different animal. They usually start in the 300 range stripped.

Edit...the AR-10 lower is essentially the same design as the AR-15 lower except it has a larger magwell and is a little heavier to accommodate the larger calibers it can use. Its basically bigger all over. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=497

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1787&cat=1872

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
How does it double the cost, if you are starting with a 5.56 lower you already have to save money that puts you ahead $250 at most. 1,000 rounds later you have save $500. If you just want a 6.8 cool, but it's not a cost saver.
The .308 round is too long to be used in the AR15 platform. Once you get into .308/7.62 AR styled riflesm you run into a couple different, non compatible platforms. Some of the parts will exchange, and are common with the AR15, but the basics, like the upper and lower receivers, won't be compatible with each other or the AR15. A DPMS 308 upper will not work on an AR10 lower. (BTW- in this class, AR10 is not the whole class, like AR15. It is just one model line made by Armalite. No other company uses that nomenclature. Most use some variation on .308. Kac calls theirs, which is the civilian version of the M110, a SR25.) Also, the .308 platforms usually weight 2-3 lbs more than an AR15 style AR.

Given this info, a 5.56/.223 lower means nothing in a .308 build, so you have to buy the parts for a whole new rifle. Also, while you can find 7.62x51 Military style FMJ cheap, if you look at real hunting or self-defense rounds, you find the prices are equal or higher than for the 6.8SPC. As a forinstance, I like the Barnes TSX round for hunting hogs. I can get 85 or 110gr TSX for my 6.8SPC AR for $28-34, depending on sales. The cheapest I have ever found a TSX round for my .308 bolt gun is Federal Vital-Shok for $41. Hornaday LE TAP, my preferred self-defence round, runs around $1-1.20 per round in .223, 6.8SPC. or .308.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The lower is the same.

You'd need a complete upper with bolt, and 6.8 mag(s).

I am really liking the 6.8 I built.

It has a lot more power than 5.56, Faster and flatter shooting than 7.62x39 (which really shines more at extended ranges).

Basically, it uses .30 Remington brass necked down with a 270 bullet in it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info, guys. I was hoping to use it as a possible deer/hog rifle. I was looking at parts from PSA and Stag Arms. I have priced it out and will save some money building the lower receiver. I really do not see much of a savings building my own upper. The tools are not an issue as I do work on 1911 style pistols in my spare time. I will need to get punches, vice blocks, and the armorer's wrench. I will probably get started on it later this summer. Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Go to 68forums.com

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
At that point why not an AR-10? .308 is half the cost of 6.8 and plenty of take down for hunting.
Much heavier rifle with an AR-10 style rifle. 2-3lbs may not seem like much until you have to lug it around the woods all morning...

Go to 68forums.com
Amen!
When it comes to buying your 6.8x43 upper, there is really only one place to go, in my book: AR Performance. Harrison has practically written the book on getting the most performance out of the 6.8SPC cartridge.

Here's more

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Much heavier rifle with an AR-10 style rifle. 2-3lbs may not seem like much until you have to lug it around the woods all morning...
Oh so you want a lever action 30-30, great hunting round, cheap rifle, and very light!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts