Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few weeks, I've rented a few 45s. It was my first time shooting a 45 and the 1st one I shot was the Springfield 45 XD. I loved it. Shot great and accurately. I decided I wanted one but before the purchase I decided I wanted to try an XDM and an FNX 45 before I made up my mind. Unfortunately, the XDM's firing pin broke before I could fire one round. Upon taking it back, the clerk says, "Yeah, that's a common problem amongst all the XD line, we see it a lot...". Naturally this has me skittish about purchasing one now and I decided to come here and ask the community their thoughts on the subject. Thank you all for any replies.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
My first pistol was the 4.5 XDM in 45. 2100 rounds later, not one hiccup, FTE, FTF, firing pin issue, etc.

I don't recall the firing pin being a common issue on this forum.

Welcome from SE Ohio!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Texas! :p

You are speaking of the striker retaining pin. "Naturally this has me skittish about purchasing one...." Don't be. Buy with confidence. I have 2 and have run through a couple of pallets of ammo, and haven't seen it yet.

But, if you do, there are performance pins that cost the same as a premium cup of coffee, and takes 10 mins. at your kitchen table to change. Who knows...buy the pins and change if it helps ya sleep easier. And Oh, BTW, if you do have a pin break, it isn't gonna dead line your gun. It still works. :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum from Texas! :p

You are speaking of the striker retaining pin. "Naturally this has me skittish about purchasing one...." Don't be. Buy with confidence. I have 2 and have run through a couple of pallets of ammo, and haven't seen it yet.

But, if you do, there are performance pins that cost the same as a premium cup of coffee, and takes 10 mins. at your kitchen table to change. Who knows...buy the pins and change if it helps ya sleep easier. And Oh, BTW, if you do have a pin break, it isn't gonna dead line your gun. It still works. :wink:

I'll explain what I did. Racked a round into the chamber, aimed and fired but no boom. Ejected the chambered round, and racked in a new one. Aimed, pulled trigger, no boom. And I noticed that silver pin that usually sticks out in the back was flush with the back of the gun as well. But I think what you're saying is I can buy a performance pin and just immediately swap it out for a little peace of mind?

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
No worries with the XD45 here. I haven't done anything but shoot it and clean it for over 6K rounds. I think the rental had just been abused and neglected.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I'll explain what I did. Racked a round into the chamber, aimed and fired but no boom. Ejected the chambered round, and racked in a new one. Aimed, pulled trigger, no boom. And I noticed that silver pin that usually sticks out in the back was flush with the back of the gun as well. But I think what you're saying is I can buy a performance pin and just immediately swap it out for a little peace of mind?
I'm not an expert nor a smith, but am really suspecting that this pistol is having other issues than a broken firing pin/striker or pin retainer. Take a look at the size of the striker here. It's pretty BIG. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/138976-exploded-view.html post #4. The striker status indicator, backs right into the back of the striker. If it's not resetting, something else is fouling the internal action. If it was mine, I'd start with a good sonic bath, and greasing. If that didn't fix it, S.A. WILL! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I think the clerk suffer from notknowingwhathewastalkingaboutitis. I've got an XDM and XDS and neither has ever given me a problem that wasn't my fault. I've also been a member of this forum for a while and have never heard of the issue. I'm sure it's happened, but I'd be willing to bet it happens VERY rarely.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've got an xd9, xdm45, xdm40 5.25, and an xds. Never a single issue with any of them. And I shoot the $hit out of them.

Just get one. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the clerk suffer from notknowingwhathewastalkingaboutitis. I've got an XDM and XDS and neither has ever given me a problem that wasn't my fault. I've also been a member of this forum for a while and have never heard of the issue. I'm sure it's happened, but I'd be willing to bet it happens VERY rarely.
Ok good, you guys are boosting my confidence in the product. I really want that XD 45, fits my hand great and shoots way better than I do ;-)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The striker is not that fragile. Now things DO happen with all guns but its not even close to being a common issue especially with an XD.

My guess is they are having the same XD break and they never really get it fixed , this why its common to THEM.

Who knows maybe they keep pouring oil into the striker channel and have have tons of gunk built up because they dont know how to really keep care of a gun

Tip: if you DO get an XD do NOT oil the striker/striker channel its meant to be kept dry.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
There is actually a member here who sells replacement pins for those of us who wanted to go ahead and change out the pin in question just for reassurance. He bought them in bulk from McMasterCarr. Do a search on the forum for Striker Retaining Pin Replacement (or something similar) and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I installed the PRP rolled retainer pin in my XD45c...No issues before the new pin..no issues since...If you like the gun buy with confidence...don't sweat the small stuff...not an issue...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Part of the problem concerns identifying what exactly the problem was...and there's a big difference in part #35, the striker retaining pin and the striker itself, which is part #31. Or it could be something else, who knows?

But I take every gun rental with a grain of salt.

It IS recommended not to dry-fire without a snap cap in the chamber, though. That may lead to problems of which OP mentioned. So use snap caps to dry-fire, and go ahead and purchase. Remember this was a rental gun, probably used and abused.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thanks, that was a question I had rolling around in my head actually. Some guns are ok to dry fire, some aren't I'm told.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have had a XD 4" 40 caliber for three years. I practice before range my fundamentals every day and I dry fire my gun at least 200 times a day. Still has the original striker. Sounds to me like you came across someone just trying to steer you towards a more expensive gun to line their coffers. It's shameful but you will find a lot of gun retailers operate this way. It's kind of like in the 1990s when the Ford dealerships were telling people the bronco twos flip to easy so buy a large bronco. Dealerships are never concerned about your safety only your money. The next time a gun clerk tells you a story like that make them cite their sources.

P.s. I am aware of the fact that the bronco twos indeed do flip very easily however they were not telling you out of concern for your safety.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ok good, you guys are boosting my confidence in the product. I really want that XD 45, fits my hand great and shoots way better than I do ;-)
I think you are selling yourself short. Guns only shoot as good as the beholder. You don't seem to be fixing a shooting problem, you fixed the 'not the right gun for me' problem!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine has ~5000 rounds through it, and I have yet to have a single malfunction of any kind. Not even ammo related. I think my XD is my good luck charm :) I can't say that about any of my other firearms, or even friends/family members firearms. My XD has been flawless.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts