Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting a 6.5 Grendel upper for my current build and wondering if I would be better off trying to find a complete upper or build. It's going to be for target/long range so I was wanting a 24" or so, bull barrel. I just hate waiting on things but it's looking like that's the way it's going to be.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I'm wanting a 6.5 Grendel upper for my current build and wondering if I would be better off trying to find a complete upper or build. It's going to be for target/long range so I was wanting a 24" or so, bull barrel. I just hate waiting on things but it's looking like that's the way it's going to be.
Build it! I'm on my second now. It's nice because you can have it how you want the first time instead of buying one and then changing half of it later.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Build it! I'm on my second now. It's nice because you can have it how you want the first time instead of buying one and then changing half of it later.
I had read some of your old posts and was going to ask you about yours. Do you have any pictures? I'll probably end up buying the parts and taking them somewhere to have it put together. I build my lower but don't know much about the BCG, putting the barrel, head spacing, or installing a free float tube on.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I had read some of your old posts and was going to ask you about yours. Do you have any pictures? I'll probably end up buying the parts and taking them somewhere to have it put together. I build my lower but don't know much about the BCG, putting the barrel, head spacing, or installing a free float tube on.
With a few cheap tools it is pretty easy to assemble your own upper.

Everyone who sells Grendel barrels sells them with a matched (headspaced) bolt, so that part is easy. I just bought a complete BCG and swapped out the 5.56 bolt for the 6.5G bolt. It takes two minutes, max.

AR15.com has a ton of assembly how-tos for different forends. The barrel and FFT install are usually one operation, depending on the barrel nut required for the forend you choose.

As for pictures... I have a bunch of the completed rifle. None of the assembly, though. :(

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
With a few cheap tools it is pretty easy to assemble your own upper.

Everyone who sells Grendel barrels sells them with a matched (headspaced) bolt, so that part is easy. I just bought a complete BCG and swapped out the 5.56 bolt for the 6.5G bolt. It takes two minutes, max.

AR15.com has a ton of assembly how-tos for different forends. The barrel and FFT install are usually one operation, depending on the barrel nut required for the forend you choose.

As for pictures... I have a bunch of the completed rifle. None of the assembly, though. :(
dang i hate you soo much!!!!!! that rifle is very nice!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Hooz,
I want to change out my handguards on my 6.5 Grendel. It's from Alexander Arms... it's a 19.5" bbl.. does a full length handguard fit it? I know I have to remove the gas block and then what else. Do you know if the handguard is attached to the nut or the slip ring? What handguard did you get?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It looks to me like your current handguard is full length, and it probably screws right on to a threaded barrel nut. I've never seen it in person, though, so I can't say with any certainty.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hooz,
I want to change out my handguards on my 6.5 Grendel. It's from Alexander Arms... it's a 19.5" bbl.. does a full length handguard fit it? I know I have to remove the gas block and then what else. Do you know if the handguard is attached to the nut or the slip ring? What handguard did you get?
I found this for you.

I forgot to mention earlier that my handguard is a YHM rifle-length, lightweight, 4-rail tube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts