Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some good info on coyote hunting. Didn't see many other threads about it.
Do you guys know of any forums or other good websited dedicated to it?
Not really into collecting hides or having them mounted or anything. Mainly just want to have fun while helping out a relative that has a pretty good sized cattle ranch. Usually see at least one every time I am there, and that is usually during the day.

What types of calls are there?
Is there any certain time of year that is better than another?
Better to stay put and let them come to you, or go and find them?
Night or Day?

If I lived closer to where I will be hunting I would just experiment on my own, sometimes that is half the fun of it. Since it is an hour and a half drive one way I would rather gain some knowledge up front. Gas is kind of expensive ya know.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I watch these guys on youtube. They are very successful with a Mojo Critter and an E-call.

YouTube - ‪lbensonjbi's Channel‬‏

My Grandfather has a cattle ranch with a ton of yotes running around. I like to go up there around calving season to hunt. Every season there's a at least one calf that doesn't make it. You can use that to your advantage and you will have coyotes lining up to be shot down.

I have to compete with the "Coyote Hunter" now a days. He comes out for a few days every year with all the doo-dads a guy could want. He hunts at night with a suppressed AR and night vision.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That mojo critter is very interesting. I haven't ever seen anything like that.
I was thinking of some rabbit distress calls, don't know if I really want to start out with an electronic caller though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One of the biggest mistakes that most coyote hunters make is leaving human odor as they go to their stands and not covering their odor while on their stands. The coyote is a very smart animal. Most of the time when a coyote comes in to a predator call, it will try to circle downwind to confirm with its nose what its ears have told it is happening.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Haven't made it to the woods just yet, too dang hot. Will do when it cools down some though.
Fall and winter are the best seasons for yote hunting anyways.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I started coyote hunting about two years ago.

First year, I shot one. Last year three. This year????? more!

Hunt the wind. Be as quiet as you can going into a stand. Wait. Call. Wait. Be patient, you never know what will come your way. I still only use mouth calls, I do have a mojo critter though. It works well.

Read through the above forum, lots and lots of info on there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
My replies in red

Do you guys know of any forums or other good websited dedicated to it?

PredatorMasters Forums - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

What types of calls are there?

electronic and mouth (I like electronic)

Is there any certain time of year that is better than another?

Any time is OK here, but they'll especially be active toward the end of fall when they're trying to put on as much fat as they can before winter

Better to stay put and let them come to you, or go and find them?
Night or Day?

Call

Either, but a lot of states won't let you hunt at night, plus it requires a lot of extra gear you don't need in the day

Also, if your state/local laws allow, if you bait hunt, they like sardines and tuna, but so do big cats if there are any around.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What caliber do you guys use? Or do you use a shotgun?
I am looking to buy a brush rifle to hunt with and for some range fun, was looking at a Ruger mini-14, but may go with a mini 30 to get the larger punch. An AK might work as well, but I think I like the Rugers better.

As always, thanks for the great info guys, I cannot wait to get to the woods this fall.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Shotguns work up close and in heavy brush, but if you can get an open shot, I use an AR.

I built both from the ground up. The one on the left is my 5.56 varmint AR and the one on the right is my medium game 6.8 AR

·
Registered
9 Posts
check out the following url i posted below. this guy is damn good n in az we jokingly say he kills 90% of the predators including coyote, bobcat, fox... whatever there is. and he has good recipes to cook any of them as he has tried them all...
The Adventures of Rizzo

·
Registered
492 Posts
I use hand calls & yote howler locator/// Freezing weather electronic caller Fox Pro. Hand calls freeze up. Have hunted and trapped yotes in 5 states. biggest mistake loud calling, Exception Howling. Yotes, sight, smell, & hearing is their strong suit, can hear low sound from long distance. Their territorial, use it to your advantage. Set up is critical, use the surrounding cover to your advantage. Slow movement ok, quick movement your busted. Hunt yotes when their fur is prime late Dec., Jan. Colder and snow best times to hunt they need more food. Hunt creek bottoms, weed patches,timber ridges. I locate (howl) If they respond set up and try challenge call, Predator calls. Advantage to electronic, variation of calls ( birds). Have killed yotes, early/ midday/ late day. I give sets 15 min, cat country 30 min., cats sneak in yotes come much faster 2 out 5 sets, action good day calling. Coyote magnificent animal, only animal Federal Government has spent millions and still have government trappers, can't eradicated he's a survivor, adapts to his surrounding country, mountain, city. Will eat anything that won't eat him. Next snow storm drive the roads locate yote tracks, walks in same track and his movement can help educate you to his movements.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts