Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a 9mm handgun and am stuck between getting either a xdm 9mm, xd9 tactical or Smith and Wesson M&P pro in 9mm or regular m&p. I already own a xd9sc and xd45 tactical. I have been reading alot of reviews and read alot of good thing about the m&p pistols. What would you guys pick as far as another 9mm. Has anyone here compared the m&p to the xd's? I plan to use the weapon for duty and a few runnin and gunning matches. The M&P pro might have too light of a trigger for duty. I need to get a 9mm because I am shooting more and would rather shoot the cheaper 9mm rounds. Last nite I went to a steel shoot and shot about 400 rounds of new 45 hst ammo in less than two hours.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Guess you should get the one YOU like the best.

I am chomping at the bit to get my hands on the XDM 9mm. My niece's husband bought a regular S&W M&P at the last gun show we went to. I didn't care for the feel of it in my hands but he loved it. So I guess it just boils down to the one you like.

I think any of those on your list would be a fine choice.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I was in the market for a new 9mm and finally decided to buy a Beretta 92fs today. I can't wait to try it at the range in a few days, going by the feel it should be sweet! I settled on the model but waited for a "made it Italy" one to show up. All I could find around here were made in the USA.

Whatever you decide pick what feels best to you. I started looking at M&P's and XD's but after checking them out I wound up with the Beretta.:cool:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I bought both and ran them back to back last Mon. The XDM was a bit more accurate and had less recoil while firing. I also like the grip on the XDM much better. The M&P is lighter at 26 oz. compared to 32 oz. for the XDM. The M&P also has a shorter slide. The mag capacity is 17 for the M&P and 19 for the XDM. The triggers feel similar. But the XDM has a shorter pull. Overall i would pick the XDM, but for carry the M&P is a smaller and lighter gun. When i took them down for cleaning i found the internal parts of the XDM to seem more quality somehow. I had no problems or malfunctions with either gun while running about 100 rds thru each. Oh and i have the regular M&P, not the Pro version.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have both an XDm9 and M&P Pro ---both great guns the M&P's trigger is a bit better (Pro series), but the XDm holds more rounds and is easily as accurate as the M&P.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Ah hell, you're going to have to buy them both. J/K

Seriously, what feels better in your hand is the one to buy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really do feel I am going to have to buy them both or all 3. I have a budget of about $900.00. That is enough for one gun, 4-6 mags and night dawson night sights. Now the question is which one do I buy first. If the recoil feels about the same on all 3 guns, I would probably get the xdm 9mm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Get the XDM then! :D

I have no problem with the M&P line. Get what you want. I have owned an M&P, Glock, etc. Once I put the XDM in my hand that was it.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Have you shot the M&P? I learned that reviews and people's reccomendations are great and all but nothing compares to shooting the gun yourself. I read a ton about the Sig P250 and was convinced I wanted it, I happened to notice my range had one to rent and after firing it I decided it was one of the most disliked guns I've shot. Sig is a great company and that might be someone's favorite gun in the world but it felt terrible in my hand and the trigger was the opposite of what I like!
Remember:
"Never buy before you try!"

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I just put in my order for a xdm 9mm. it should be in nx week. gonna get a dept letterhead to waive the ten day wait. the xdm 9mm is gonna cost me 615.00 base price. gonna buy 2 spare mags and 2 free from springfield promo. I currently have a xd45 tact, xdm 40, xd9sc. I have a sig 226 I use to like.....since I got the xd's, I want nothing to do with sigs. in fact I will be selling my sigs. I was shooting the xd45 tact a lot and was running out of ammo. I still got 14 cases of issued 9mm hst waiting to be shot. I got an intro runnin and gunnin course in a couple week. I hope the weapon shoots point of aim. my other xdm shot 6 o clock hold and I had to send the gun in for sight a change.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am located in California
Ahhhhhhh. Okie dokey!

You know I'd think it over before you sell off all your Sigs but I dont how many you have. I have have fallen in love with a specific pistol before that made me sell stuff I now regret. But pf course it just a suggestion...please feel free to ignore it. ;) I have a Sig 220ST I will never sell and has one of the best triggers I have ever felt.

Now in saying all that.......I was so impressed with the XDM that I bought 2 of them!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Currently I have the older non rail models of the Sig 226/229/220. The last time I carried was about 3 years ago carrying the 229 as my primary duty weapon. The 229 is a nice sidearm but I always dislike the heavy double action first shot. The 229 and 226 are also equipped w/ the SRT trigger for a much shorter reset.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts