Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will have to call Springfield customer service and see if they will sell you a 3.3 slide.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Since the slide is the same length as the frame, I highly doubt it. But don't take my word for it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Since the slide is the same length as the frame,
The frame didn't change at all when they introduced the 4.0 version, only the slide, spring and barrel. You can take the slide assembly from a 3.3 and put it on the frame that came with a 4.0 or vice versa and (Assuming the same caliber) it will work just fine since the frames are identical.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The frame didn't change at all when they introduced the 4.0 version, only the slide, spring and barrel. You can take the slide assembly from a 3.3 and put it on the frame that came with a 4.0 or vice versa and (Assuming the same caliber) it will work just fine since the frames are identical.
Uh NO!

Find someone with a 3.3 that wants to trade.
O.K. now.
Who's right? And who's blowing smoke up our a**?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I'm at work, so I can't upload photos, but use google images and search for "XDS 3.3 vs 4.0". You can see how they used the same frame in one of the first pictures. I never noticed that before.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Wow.
It looks like you can simply change out the 3.3" barrel for a 4" and be done with it if you want to go cheap.

XD9inAVL, please explain your post. I'd like to learn more.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I think what he's getting at is that Springfield Armory doesnt sell replacement slides and neither does anybody else. The only way to get you hands on one is to...
A) buy a whole 'nother gun. Or...
B) find someone who wants to trade.

The mechanics of the swap is a no brainer...the frames are the same.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Wow.
It looks like you can simply change out the 3.3" barrel for a 4" and be done with it if you want to go cheap.

XD9inAVL, please explain your post. I'd like to learn more.
Length of slide, barrel, recoil spring and the frame are all different.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Length of slide, barrel, recoil spring and the frame are all different.
Actually, the frame is not different. All the other parts you mention changed with the 4.0, but they did not change the frame for the 4.0 version. Take a look at the pictures online and you can see it, and Hickok talks about it in his XDs 3.3 vs 4.0 comparison video:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Also, it looks like the guide rod is the same for both. Look at a 4". You can't see the end of the rod because it's inside the slide bore.
Actually, the frame is not different. All the other parts you mention changed with the 4.0, but they did not change the frame for the 4.0 version. Take a look at the pictures online and you can see it, and Hickok talks about it in his XDs 3.3 vs 4.0 comparison video:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Also, it looks like the guide rod is the same for both. Look at a 4". You can't see the end of the rod because it's inside the slide bore.
Huh, looks like you could be right, I guess I didn't look closely enough. In a way that makes sense, make as few changes as possible. You pretty much have to change the slide, and of course the barrel, but if you can limit the change to just those two items then it keeps the tooling and manufacturing costs down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts