Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new here and have a question. I have been looking to buy a new carry gun. In the past I have always opted for cheap price over everything else.This time I am older now and can afford to buy a real gunPrice range not to much over $500.00. I have looked at several and here is the list, Taurus Millenium Pro, Kel tec, Glock, and now XD Compact . Now my question is Why should I pick Springfield XD Compact over any other gun.I have never had any experieneces with XD so I want to know what justifies the price over the less expensive guns,except Glock and I dont know if they are really great or your paying for the name.Thanks Everyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
XD has a lifetime warranty, folks like how it sits in your hand with a natural point downrange. IT passed a 20,000 round torture test which you can read about in June/July 2005 issue of handguns magazine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Out of the choices you listed only the glock and the xd would be considered. I don't own an XD yet but I do own several Springfields and know that they stand behind their products.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
XD's are great guns for the money. You get a lot for what you're paying for. Everytime I pull the trigger, it says bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang, and sometimes bang. XD's also cost about $100 less than glocks. XD's have 2 great safeties. If you have a MC Sports around you, a package costs $419 and without the package it's $399.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i have no experience with either the kel tec or the taurus mil. pro so i can't say either way about those.

As for the glock, i think its a great gun. Its got a great big product line that offers a large variety of calibers and sizes to suit different needs. THe company has been offering polymers for a long time and is generally well respected for its quality. Specifically stacked up against the XD, many glock fans argue that the glock offers far superior durability in slide finish over the XD. I will for the sake of not creating a frenzy of comments not discuss that tangent at length. However, i think most people will agree that the finish of the glock slide is more resilient against wear.'

That having been said, i feel that a great deal of any such XD slide finish concerns can be laid to bed with good regular care of the gun. Plus the fact that Springfield provides a lifetime warranty and the well recognized great customer service are both things that will give you some peace of mind. Again this slide finish issue has brought up a great deal of concern about rust, which is why i opted for the stainless bi-tone model to make it a little more resistant against rust and wear. I have had not a single problem with my own gun's finish and love the bitone to death. Ok enough about the finish.

Why should you opt for hte XD over the glock? I think it offers a preferable sight design. I have shot the glocks and i do not like the glock standard sights much, and prefer the three dot that the SA XD offers. Further more, it offers the added benefit of the grip safety which the glock does not have and i know many 1911 fans appreciate. I also like the fact that it doesn't have as much of an accentuated grip angle. I feel the xd's grip angle is perfect for lining up the sights. With my own body and my xd, when i bring the gun up to eye level to point at target, teh sights are already nearly perfectly aligned. This makes targeting much easier i think. THe grip also does not have those ridges along the front of the grip that the Glocks offer which never fit my own hand.

Why should you opt for the xd over other guns?
It is indeed ergnomically very well designed to fit in smaller hands. The grip is natural and comfortable and small enough to accomodate shooters with small hands. Furthermore, similar to the glocks, the slide lock lever is positioned far enough back that it is easy to engage with the thumb of small handed shooters without rotating the strong hand around the grip. It comes with standard ambidextrous mag releases that are equally easy to reach and operate. It also has convenient informational features such as the loaded chamber indicator and the striker position indicator. For carry, this is a great gun as it has a relatively well rounded body that doesn't ahve much jutting out to snag clothing or the like. It offers great value for the price, plus lifetime warranty. Its overall a great product that is getting rave reviews from many critics and is more affordably priced than comparable glocks.

ok... now i'm finally done. i think... for now...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Millenium pro is a nice pistol but the trigger is way to long, but that is all I don't like about it. My wife carrys it and she loves it. I want to get her 9mm SC but she wants to keep her pro, so I will just have to buy myself another XD. I would buy the XD over any you mentioned, however they are all serviceable.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
My regular carry weapon is Taurus PT145, or a PT111 in warmer weather (it's a little easier to conceal than the .45). Glocks are very fine weapons if they are comfortable for you, but I like the grip angle on Taurus, CZs, and XDs better. My new XD40SC (get the stainless version and you don't have to worry about the finish) will soon be my main carry option when my FIST holster arrives. It's a little easier to conceal due to the shorter grip height but the main reason for changing from Taurus to XDs for carry is that I am much more accurate with the XDs. I am comfortable with the long DAO on the Taurus, but the XDs have the edge on quicker "accurate" follow-up shots.

If you are more comfortable with a manual external safety, then go with the Taurus, they also have a life time warranty on the gun (and not just the original owner).

Kel-tecs are in a different class, but for pocket carry or as back up I would say they are acceptable once you complete the break-in period for your carry weapon.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I chose the XD9SC over the G26. I made my choice based on the extra backstrap safety. This is my first CCW gun and I figured the extra safety measure over the glock couldn't hurt (since I'm a newby carrier). Some other features on the XD that the G26 didn't have we loaded chamber indicator and firing pin status indicator. it also has an ambidextrious mag release (I'm a lefty) and a light rail. The trigger is steel (not plastic like the G26).
As far as ergonomics, the Glock didn't really bother me, I have a G17 so I'm used to them. The G26 does seem a little less bulky in the midsection and would probably hide a little better. It also has a much shorter grip, I can shoot the XD SC without a grip extension fine, but on the G26 a pierce extension is mandatory. The finish on the slide of the glock is better. Brand new the XD is less expensive, but there are more used Glocks on the market in good condition at good prices.

Can't really go wrong with either. I'm actually looking for a Glock G36 slimline 45 or maybe a G38 45GAP compact just for something different.

·
Registered
61 Posts
G26 -vs.- SubXD will boil down to preference and price. I chose the XD, but both platforms are great. I liked the grip safety and accessory rail of the XD, and I saw no reason to justify paying lots more money for the Glock when I viewed them as equals. Still very happy with my decision (and I own a G17, so I don't consider myself a blind brand loyalist). Both are concealable, but I feel both are sometimes too large for summer carry in very light clothes (yeah, some of you can pull it off, but it takes more work and discomfort in 95 degree heat!). I also have a Kel-Tec P3AT. It has been great and reliable. It is TINY! Perfect for pocket carry. But I accept the fact it is nowhere near the gun in terms of reliablility that the Glock or XD are. There is a trade-off for such a small package. I chose to find a place for both. If I were getting just one gun, it would be the XD (or G26 if you prefer) because they are still fun to shoot recreationally. The same is not true for the Kel-Tec. It isn't really painful or anything, just not nearly as much fun. Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
i am in the same situation....

I picked the XD too. The loaded chamber indicator and firing pin status are really unnecessary, since you should ALWAYS assume the gun is loaded. If you arent sure pop out the mag and rack the slide.

The reason i picked the XD is because for a carry gun it is good to have a lifetime warranty. Not to mention the XD just feels amazing in my hands. I have average sized hands and i can hold the subxd with no grip extension.

The back safety is a plus too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I own both.
I own 2 Millenium Pro's one in .45 and one in 9mm and I own a XD-SC
the trigger on the XD is a little easier since it's a crip break and shorter

The millenium pro is a DAO it's long but smooth and not overly heavy. I carry my PT-145 Pro daily and love that gun.
the PT-111 Pro on the other hand is a great little pocket pistol(actually both milleniums fit in my front jeans pocket though the XD doesn't really)

My only gripe is that the PT-111 Pro doesn't like 115gr rounds. Taurus reccomends 124 gr. regular 115gr rounds are ok but somtimes I get FTE's(doubling) with the 115's but it's rock solid with 124's or 115 +P

Personally since I find myself frequently carrying without a holster just in my front jeans pocket I choose the Taurus because of it's size and because it's a DAO with a manual saftey

Also something to think about. both my Millenium Pro's I bought for $275 NIB with stainless slides. the XD is more pricey and even more if you want a bi-tone

·
Registered
86 Posts
dsg2003gt said:

I picked the XD too. The loaded chamber indicator and firing pin status are really unnecessary, since you should ALWAYS assume the gun is loaded. If you arent sure pop out the mag and rack the slide.

The reason i picked the XD is because for a carry gun it is good to have a lifetime warranty. Not to mention the XD just feels amazing in my hands. I have average sized hands and i can hold the subxd with no grip extension.

Taurus ALSO has a lifetime warranty.

Personally though I don't put the kel-tec in the same class as the Taurus and the XD. The P11 to me is a BUG but wouldn't be my choice for daily carry.

·
Registered
86 Posts
dsg2003gt said:

both my tauru's fit perfect. for my XD SC I had to opt for peirce grip extensions. Though I must say after adding the PG's the gun feels very nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My personal opinion of the G-26, is that it was too heavy and too expensive. I know some that say that just means it won't have very much kick. But to me it just means that it'd be spotted more easily through clothing. I currently bought a Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm (Pt-111 Pro) with the 12rd magazines. It honestly fits great and can easily be hidden, it's light weight, the 3-dot sites are great, but I do have some complaints about it.

My first complaint is that in shooting the gun, frequently the magazine will get released. This has happened to all my friends/family that has shot it..
Second, disassembly sucks. I have both a Glock 17 and an XD-40 Service and they are both easier to disassemble and reassemble. Third it does have a long trigger pull (like others above have mentioned).

I have no had experience with the XD-9 or XD-40 SCs but I'd love to. I honestly would much rather own an XD sub compact than anything else. If someone wanted to compare the G-26 and XD Sub Compacts, an easy way to figure what they wanted between the two would be, for the price of a G-26 you could get an XD-9 SC with night sights.

The only reason I bought the Taurus was the price. I just wanted something small, light weight, holding more than 10rounds, and in 9mm. Along with something that I could keep in my truck or carry on my person (when I am able to get my CCW).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Arnisandyz said:
. Some other features on the XD that the G26 didn't have we loaded chamber indicator and firing pin status indicator. .
The Glock does have a loaded chamber indicator. On the right side of the pistol, near the ejection port is a little piece of metal, that when unloaded sits flush with the slide. When chambered, it sticks out just enough that you can see and feel it with your finger. Firing pin status, Glock, trigger forward, gun is ready.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Cant go wrong with an XD just make sure you take care of the finish and it will last forever.... or have it sent off to be coated...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts