·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have:
XD 4" .45ACP
XD SC 40SW
XD TACT 9mm

Is there any reason to purchase a .357. The only length I can find is the standard 4". Or, am is it too redundant with what I already own?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The .357sig is a solution in search of a problem. if you want a 4" get a .40 or 9mm.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
My opinion is that .357 belongs in a revolver.

However, if you want an XD .357 "just to have" the .357 sig, then go with the longest barrel you can, to maximize its potential. Once I get my 5" XD40 (to go with the 3" and 4") I plan to get a .357 conversion barrel for it. I'd like to have it to use for a 50yd target gun.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The .357sig is a solution in search of a problem. if you want a 4" get a .40 or 9mm.
Is that why your state's DPS changed from the .45ACP to the .357 Sig? I plan on getting a conversion barrel for my P229 in .40 just to have a choice.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
No they changed because they were ill informed and some of the old higher ups that still believe in Marshal and Sanow's "knockdown power" crap made the decision. The sig does nothing the .40 can't do better. Well I take that back. The sig does have more muzzle blast.

·
Registered
193 Posts
357 SIG Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

anything hitting over 500ft/lbs muzzle is a beast. i had a glock 33 and LOVED the 357sig round, but $33 for 50 rounds was draining my bank account.you'll get a lot of BS talk from people who know nothing about the round. saying it has no place, it isn't worth it, a 9mm can do the same, blah blah blah. The only thing i've ever shot in a semi auto that feels combarable to 357sig is 10mm. with that said, just buy a 357sig conversion bbl for your 40sc. just a drop in bbl change and you're gtg

·
Registered
95 Posts

anything hitting over 500ft/lbs muzzle is a beast. i had a glock 33 and LOVED the 357sig round, but $33 for 50 rounds was draining my bank account.you'll get a lot of BS talk from people who know nothing about the round. saying it has no place, it isn't worth it, a 9mm can do the same, blah blah blah. The only thing i've ever shot in a semi auto that feels combarable to 357sig is 10mm. with that said, just buy a 357sig conversion bbl for your 40sc. just a drop in bbl change and you're gtg
Once the bullet enters human tissue and expands, bye bye energy formulas..."welcome to the real world".

·
Registered
937 Posts
IMO .357 Sig is a solution searching for a problem....

·
Registered
29,877 Posts

Amateurs talk about muzzle energy.

The experienced talk about penetration...and the .357 sig actually has less of it than a 147gr 9mm.

Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

Where are you getting this data about this round being a beast. You don't actually think that these is such a thing as hydrostatic shock, energy dump or knock down power do you? Those foot pounds don't mean nothing those numbers don't mean what you think. You need to go into rifle rounds to have them mean anything. Service pistol rounds wound it one way and one way only. They crush tissue that comes into direct contact with the bullet. NO shock, no knockdown no energy dump.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought a .357 sig Tactical 5" and I really like it. Gonna install some Dawson sites on it and maybe a Patriot magwell and see what happens. I really like the .357 sig. cartridge. I also have a P-229 Sig Sauer in .40 and a barrel for it in .357 sig. They work great. A good flat shooting bullet. Better than a 9mm. The .40's I use for competition shooting. Less recoil and I have lots of brass. Sig brass is harder to come by and more expensive. Yall stay safe. WG

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yesterday, I wrote this on another forum regarding the .357 Sig cartridge:

"I don't understand the hype on that round. A faster 9 mm with more kick and less rounds. Bullet smaller than .40, same round capacity, harder to find, less choices and a lot more expensive. Why on earth would I want that?"

...and a few posts later in comparison to a .40 S&W,

"I repeat, why would I want a handgun cartridge that gives me the same mag capacity and makes a smaller hole? I DON'T FOLLOW THE LOGIC, PERIOD. BTW, temporary cavity on handgun cartridges means pretty much...nothing."

·
Registered
193 Posts
Once the bullet enters human tissue and expands, bye bye energy formulas..."welcome to the real world".
true, welcome to the real world, check out enery transfer of the 357 sig. i once read on ammolab that the only 2 rounds to knock the ballistic gel off the platform was 357sig and 10mm. it's got crazy enery tranfer in the first 3-5 inches.

and if the 357sig doesn't penetrate enough why is there so much talk of OVER PENETRATION with it?

and i also find that 90% of people who bad mouth the round have never owned nor shot it. I dont currently own a firearm chambered for the 357sig but i had a glock 33. it is a good round, bottom line. i don't own it anymore because i couldn't justify the price of ammo over owning a .40 but if you want a 3557sig and dont mind ammo price, get it.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
true, welcome to the real world, check out enery transfer of the 357 sig. i once read on ammolab that the only 2 rounds to knock the ballistic gel off the platform was 357sig and 10mm. it's got crazy enery tranfer in the first 3-5 inches.

and if the 357sig doesn't penetrate enough why is there so much talk of OVER PENETRATION with it?

and i also find that 90% of people who bad mouth the round have never owned nor shot it. I dont currently own a firearm chambered for the 357sig but i had a glock 33. it is a good round, bottom line. i don't own it anymore because i couldn't justify the price of ammo over owning a .40 but if you want a 3557sig and dont mind ammo price, get it.
I've shot 'em. It's nothing to get excited about.

And the overpenetration issues come more from FMJ rounds.

And again...energy transfer is what amateurs yammer about. The energy transfer erquivalent of a bullet strike is a hard punch.

It's penetration depth and cavity size that does the real damage, and .357 sig doesn't do that any better than a 9mm.

Simple fact.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Long read, but good info here HandGunInfo.com: 357SIG: 357 Sig and 9mm Comparison . sorry for all the post on this topic, i just really stand behind the 357sig as a quality round.
Yeah, and Al Gore invented the internet, :D:D:D.

I repeat, temporary cavity doesn't mean anything on handgun rounds, what's important is the size of the hole and how deep it cuts...handguns are not rifles.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I don't own a sig but I've shot one. Energy transfer, as Cudda66 puts it is what amateurs and ill informed people use to measure bullet effectiveness, it means very little when used in the real world. As long as the bullet has enough energy to penetrate and expand the excess energy does no wounding or causes no mythical knock down. People aren't gel blocks. The 10mm is not super cartridge either, it doesn't quite hit the required velocity to cause temp cavity tearing so other than deeper penetration and better barrier penetration it offers little over the .40 in an SD situation.

KCast828, You should read this.

AIMED Point Shooting or P&S

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Yesterday, I wrote this on another forum regarding the .357 Sig cartridge:

"I don't understand the hype on that round. A faster 9 mm with more kick and less rounds. Bullet smaller than .40, same round capacity, harder to find, less choices and a lot more expensive. Why on earth would I want that?"

...and a few posts later in comparison to a .40 S&W,

"I repeat, why would I want a handgun cartridge that gives me the same mag capacity and makes a smaller hole? I DON'T FOLLOW THE LOGIC, PERIOD. BTW, temporary cavity on handgun cartridges means pretty much...nothing."

That right there alone.

It's just not worth spending the money on a new gun that you probably aren't going to shoot much at all because the ammo is harder to come by and more expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
I also see no reason for this round, and agree it is a solution in search of a problem.. Having said that pick a caliber and stick to it. When the SHTF you want a lot of ammo having a main caliber will allow you to focus on buying just that caliber!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts