Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is a biased room, but I like you guys.

I already have my cherished 1911, but I want another, lighter gun for storing near the front door, and wearing around the house. I'd like a black, polymer-type semi-auto with about a 4 inch barrel.

I don't like Glocks or HKs, so my two-and-a-half choices right now seem to be Sig, Sig Pro, and the XD.

I like the XD, I shoot it decently (I need practice), I like the price, the ergonomics are spectacular, and I even like the look.

However, the only place in LA where you can shoot an XD .40 is the LAX range, and their XDs are a disaster. Their service model has almost never worked, and their tactical jammed regularly.

The guy running the range said they're "great guns" but "really finicky about bullet shape." He also reminded me that, as a range gun, this thing's beat to hell.

Still, the bullet-shape issue was a scary one. Even if it feeds defense ammo, that won't do me much good if it can't feed the factory reloads I use to practice.

Also, they said that the XD is not good with the .40. I'd get the .45 GAP, except that no range near me has any practice reloads handy.

You XD owners clearly know more about this than anyone. What bullet-shapes, reload types would I have to avoid? Have any of you had similar problems?

The jam in question was a failure to feed. The round stops right up against the feed ramp. Their 4-inch model barely chambered anything, and both the service and tactical seemed uneven and jerky when racked backwards or slid forward into battery. (Understand, however, that I am spoiled by my greased-lightning Kimber).

Anyway, I'm still very interested in this gun. Please let me know if my experience was freakish, or if this is a real concern.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
I would say that I am almost 99% positive that its the range gun thats the problem, and even then it can be fixed if you find out whats wrong. Some simple things to look at with those particular pistols are:
Have they been cleaned
Are the mag springs worn out.
Rcoil spring worn out.
The feed lips of the mags has anyone been playing with them and now they are not preseting the rounds at the proper angle.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Buy your own.. you won't regret it. I have the 9mm.. Service.. and I have never had a single problem.. of course I don't use any factory re-loads.. I just shoot good ol' WWB, or UMC... but not a single problem.

If you buy it, and it gives you trouble.. I will buy it from you for whatever you paid for it.. I promise.
(And I don't go back on my promises.)

Raymond

·
Registered
339 Posts
Captain Ray said:
Buy your own.. you won't regret it. I have the 9mm.. Service.. and I have never had a single problem.. of course I don't use any factory re-loads.. I just shoot good ol' WWB, or UMC... but not a single problem.

If you buy it, and it gives you trouble.. I will buy it from you for whatever you paid for it.. I promise.
(And I don't go back on my promises.)

Raymond
Now if that's not a solid recommendation, I don't know what is.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the XD40 and have had tons of feeding problems with it. I have considered sending it to SA and see what they can do, but Im getting the vibe that the XD40 is just not real reliable and there's nothing SA can do to it. The reliability of the XD40 seems to be hit and miss. I obviously got a bad one.
I am considering selling it and getting a XD9 or Glock 19. I totally love the ergos of the XD. It feels and points better than any gun I have handled. Unfortunatly mine is just a lemon. I wish it was not that way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm definitely inclined to believe it's range-gun-hood was the problem.

A long time ago, I shot their .40 Service OD, and it was clear that the recoil spring had totally lost its moxie. Recoil was out of control and it failed to snap into battery regularly. Also, the striker failed on a number of primers. It just went snap.

However, the .40 Tactical I shot in Vegas functioned perfectly.

Just today, I was back at LAX to try them again, now that I'm a considerably better shot.

I loved the trigger, loved the ergonomics, but couldn't get past the failure rate. However, some observations on the guns themselves:

-The feed ramp looked pretty cruddy right away.
-I didn't have any proper comparisons on the feed lips. How easily/often do those things become deformed? If I had to guess, I'd say that the rounds were being presented at too low an angle.
-The OD .40 service NEVER chambered a round. I slingshotted the slide, and it just stopped.
-The Tactical .40 fed MOST of the time, fired and ejected all of the time, but still displayed unacceptable reliability.
-Both pistols had terrible slide action. They stiffened up considerably both when pulling the weapon immediately out of battery and in the last centimeter of closing the action.

I guess the presentation angle was the major issue. How does one keep that problem from developing?

Also, if I go with the .45 GAP, where can I get about 50 hardball rounds for 10-13 dollars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
My XD .40 Service model has never even hiccupped. Completely flawless. I do not use reloads, however. WWB is the cheapest I will go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Belive captain ray...you won't regret buying one.

I have had my tactical 40 cal for about a month now...with about 500
rounds thru her...WWB, Wolf, S&B.... and have nothing but agreat time
and a very large smile on my face. After 500 rounds of mixed ammo...
and some of it purposely shoot very rapid fire, I have had 0 malfunctions.

As a matter of fact...I was soooo impressed by my Tactical XD, I just bought another in the 9mm, a service BiTone.
I can not believe there is any real issues with the 40 cal for you to worry about. Mine is perfect...and I expect yours will be also.

Basing your opinion of wether to buy an XD on the serious misuse of those
range guns would be a real loss to you owning a fantastically great gun.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
I didn't really feel qualified to reply and then I did a tally and realized I've shot around 1,700 rounds through my XD40 SC. Of those, 600 rounds were Winchester White Box and the rest were reloads using copper clad or lead bullets. I had two FTF and those were caused by my not getting the magazine inserted until it latched. The magazine dropped down during fire causing the FTF's.

WyoBob

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey rock instead of ripping the XD40 becuase you and your buddy 's are "jam-o-matics" why not send it to springfield and see if it is the gun or a part in the gun that is defective. Couldn't it be that simple?? Maybe you did get one built late on friday or early on monday but why not give springfield the chance to fix or replace?? If it is such a horrible gun why haven't you given it away? let alone sold or traded it? It seems funny to me that instead of utilizing the LIFETIME WARRANTY you would rather hang on to a "lemon" and come to an XD forum to bad mouth it continuously. Seems to me you could make a stronger case about them being horrible if you had already attempted to have springfield remdy the problem and it still ****ed up or they refused you service or something.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought the XD 40 Service model and have fired 100s of Winchester White Box, PMC Bonze and Indepence cartridges without a single problem.

I also bought a Fire Dragon 9 mm conversion barrel for it, so I really have a 2 in one gun. I have not had a single issue with either barrel. When I feel 'frugal,' I shoot 9 mm. Most of the time, I shoot 40 S&W.

When it came time to sell a few guns to buy another hobby item I wanted, I sold a Kimber 1911 Custom I and a shotgun, but my XD 40 was a keeper. When my son and I go to the range, the gun we grab first is the XD40.

Ron

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I have a XD-40 subcompact. I usually feed WWB through it, but I've shot a couple boxes of hollow points through it with any problem. I'm trying to decide which defensive round to keep it loaded with. Personally, I like Winchester silvertips not only for price but also for recoil.

I didn't care for the Corbon 135's. My sub loved them, but I didn't. Too much muzzle flip. I believe that the Corbon is a little too hot for my taste. I don't feel my sub junk, but a lot of people do with any problems.

Maybe you should take a cleaning kit to range next time. Give that range XD a little TLC, and it will love you back a lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
RockAR,
Like was mentioned in an earlier post, your XD has a Lifetime Warranty; why not take advantage of it. If you are like the rest of us, the warranty was one of the reasons you purchased the weapon the first place. (Not to mention the XD is, in my opinion the best of the automatics out there.)

Won't cost you anything but a little shipping to have your weapon repaired, and you will be bragging on it the way the rest of us brag about our Xd's :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the XD40 in 3"Sub compact. It has failed to feed a variety of ammo only 3 out of 440 rounds. I think that is within acceptable tolerances. Ergonomically, aesthetically, economically it's quite excellent.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have an Xd service model in 40.I did have some slide
locking open issues at around 1200-1500rds when using
250 bulk ammo from ammoman.com.Never had any issues
when using WWB,wolff,blazer,pmc,federal,hornady ammo.
After last range trip I have over 3000rds though my Xd.

RockinAr I can help you out. Say $150+ shippping and
it won`t be your problem anymore?It is defective
so you can`t ask for too much $$.
J/K :lol:
I have had other pistols give me grief.
A couple glocks and an Hk.Pistols are mechanical
devices and you may have gotten a poorly made
or defective one.Like others suggested use the
warranty.If they don`t fix it to your satisfaction
sell it and use the $$ from the sale to try another
manufacturers product.

·
Registered
401 Posts
RockinAR said:
I have the XD40 and have had tons of feeding problems with it. I have considered sending it to SA and see what they can do, but Im getting the vibe that the XD40 is just not real reliable and there's nothing SA can do to it.
This is not exactly the case. A properly made XD40 is just as reliable as anything else.

If Springfield / HS Produkt were making the motherfuckers the way they used to, it wouldn't be a problem.

It seems there isn't a week that goes by that somebody doesn't report their new XD40 is shitting the bed.

I was lucky enough to be able to fix mine myself, but if I were you, I would send it back to SA and make them fix the damn thing. There is NO EXCUSE for an unreliable XD40, I don't care what SA tells you.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I feel sorry for the range gun :cry: poor abused critter :oops:
Still the range gun isn't a good example of what all the other privately used XDs are like.

I say go 9mm and never look back. 8)

·
Registered
268 Posts
If Springfield / HS Produkt were making the motherfuckers the way they used to, it wouldn't be a problem.

It seems there isn't a week that goes by that somebody doesn't report their new XD40 is shitting the bed.

I was lucky enough to be able to fix mine myself, but if I were you, I would send it back to SA and make them fix the damn thing. There is NO EXCUSE for an unreliable XD40, I don't care what SA tells you.[/quote]

Help me out. what did you do to fix it??

·
Registered
401 Posts
kgpcr said:
Help me out. what did you do to fix it??
Basically I noticed a difference in the bevels on the barrel throat between an older (good) XD and a newer (bad) XD. I beveled the top edge of the barrel ramp like the older one, and the problem was solved.

I can't recommend this procedure to anyone who doesn't have a good barrel to compare it to, and also the willingness to eat the cost of a new barrel if need be.

Ajamesp51 says this problem can sometimes be fixed by tweaking your mag lips, but I was having the problem on the new XD with the same mags I was using without incident in my old XD.

My sincere recommendation is to send it in. Not only will they fix it, they may eventually get the idea that SOMETHING isn't right with many XDs out of the box and hopefully will be compelled to do something about it at the factory.

Of course this didn't seem to happen with the finish problems, despite the fact that SA seems to know all about it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts