Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I want 3 of the XDm. I want the 3.8 compact, the 4.5 and the 5.25 but I can only get one this year. The one I get will be my primary carry weapon.

I want the 5.25 because I want to see what it will do at the range and work on improving my shooting skills. It should give me the best opportunities at accurate shooting.

I want the 3.8 compact because it's going to conceal the easiest and best as the one taken to every dance and never brought out onto the dance floor.

I want the 4.5 because it's a good compromise between the two, still concealable but more controllable and accurate.

The 4.5 makes the most sense as it's competent all the way around. I think that's why I'm leaning more toward the other two. They aren't 'competent' all around. They're either top shelf accurate, take names but no prisoners range quality shooter or first line concealable while still capable of handling any situation that may arise. Yeah, the 4.5 does all of it, just maybe not quite as capably as the others do their one best thing.

So there it is, in writing, and it didn't clear things up and bring an instant irrefutable answer to the dilemma. Maybe I need to find a 3 sided coin.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For me personally, I have the 3.8 compact and wouldnt want to go any bigger for CC. The larger grip on the 4.5 and 5.25 is too much for me, it may work for you though, I know plenty of people carry them with no issue

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Get the 4.5" XDM brother. I have had mine since 2009 and I haven't had a single problem. It conceals okay-ish. It prints obviously but it isn't too bad. I am a pretty big guy at 6'ft 230lbs. so it is easier for me to Carry it without printing too much. It is very accurate and very reliable. I use mine for IDPA and CPSL as well and I always shoot well. I haven't upgraded the trigger or anything because it comes perfect out of the box, the XD Gear/box is also a nice touch. They have outstanding customer service (not that you will need it) and an incredible reputation, it is Springfield Armory after all. The ergonomics are great as well, I use the medium grip, it feels like an extension of my body. It is a natural pointer and extremely durable. The melonite finish is amazing. I have dropped mine on the concrete twice and had no scratches. Once it fell out into a parking lot because a bag ripped and the other time was in a driveway because I had it in a silicone towel and a friend pulled it out of the passenger seat and it hit the ground. The only time I had an issue was due to some crappy ammo. The high capacity magazines are incredible. Having 16+1 rounds of .40 S&W Hornady Critical Duty will put a stop to just about any threat. It is a combat pistol and a great one. I wouldn't go for the 5.25" if you plan on carrying. I would use that just for competition. The 3.8" is also a nice choice but I like full size. I hope this little bit of info helps you decide. Let me know if you have any questions and I will answer them ASAP. Have a good one brother!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting the 4.5 seems like the logical choice as it encompasses some of each of them. But then that 3.8 compact is one heck of a good configuration for carry. But then if you have the full grip of the 4.5 anyway what difference does a little more barrel length matter for carry since it's the grip sticking out that's the challenge for carry. So the circle is complete again and there's no clear winner, mainly because we're talking such good guns there's definitely no loser.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Price is another factor as well. Ordering through Gallery of Guns through the nearest source about 4 miles away they are $627, $604 and $750 for the 3.8, 4.5 and 5.5. Ordering from the best price source within 50 miles they are $611, $589 and $731 respectively, a savings of $16, $15 and $19 respectively.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Price is another factor as well. Ordering through Gallery of Guns through the nearest source about 4 miles away they are $627, $604 and $750 for the 3.8, 4.5 and 5.5. Ordering from the best price source within 50 miles they are $611, $589 and $731 respectively, a savings of $16, $15 and $19 respectively.
Sounds like you need to hit the gun trader I picked up my 4.5 XDm .40 for $450 damn near unfired. Dude even threw in a box of FMJ.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those prices also include a lifetime warranty which adds to the value. I'm not much on buying someone else's guns either unless they're something that's no longer available any other way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oops, 9mm.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
For me personally, I have the 3.8 compact and wouldnt want to go any bigger for CC. The larger grip on the 4.5 and 5.25 is too much for me, it may work for you though, I know plenty of people carry them with no issue
I totally agree! This pistol will serve you perfectly in either of it's two options.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I vote the 3.8. I have the 9 and 45 this way. Best of both worlds. .7" or barrel is going to do much for you accuracy wise. Sure if you're trying to ring a gong at 60 yards but this is for carry, right? Get your personal protection weapon first and the toys can follow later

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Of the three, I have both the 4.5 and 3.8 compact. Absolutely love the 4.5 and have carried quite well.

For CC, however, I'd go with the 3.8 Compact. Still a fine pistol and conceals really well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts