Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking I'd like to buy a Walther P22 .22lr 3.4" and wanted to know if anyone here has any opinions on this gun? here's a pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice weapon! I am thinking about the PPS 9mm to carry as well....just gotta save up some cash!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
They are pretty good for a 22. Very similar in grip angle to an XD.

I really like mine.

Common issues are FTE the first 100-200rnds when using cheap ammo. Best you use HV CCI mini mags the first 100 rounds.

Also, a lot of the internals are not deburred well.

If you google P22 bible, there is a good book to read online about how to make you P22 run really smooth.

If you can snag one under 300 its a good deal.

Mine was good, sold it cause I needed the money, wish I hadent

·
Registered
4 Posts
One gun you also might want to consider, if you can find a place without them on backorder, is the ISSC M22 bought one about a month ago for 199 from buds have had zero issues with it. Like all 22 semi's your first 100-200 it is recommended to put mini mag through it to break it in

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Personally I would get the Walther PK 380, its pretty much identical, and .22lr IMO is too small for a handgun round unless its just for plinking... in which case I would rather have a .22 rifle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I would get the Walther PK 380, its pretty much identical, and .22lr IMO is too small for a handgun round unless its just for plinking... in which case I would rather have a .22 rifle
I like the way you think. I bought my wife a Ruger .380 (pink lol!) and we could share ammo! Didn't think of that. My .45 XD is expensive as hell so I wouldn't mind sharing the expenses.

·
Registered
480 Posts
In my opinion... the best .22 semi auto pistol I ever shot. I like it better than the Sig Mosquito.

I like the grip ergonomics of the gun. The double action for the first round has about 10-11 pounds of pressure and the single action for the remaining rounds has about 4-5 pounds of pressure.

Dry firing is not recommended.

I love using this gun at the range for practice. You can go through 500 rounds without breaking bank.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I like the way you think. I bought my wife a Ruger .380 (pink lol!) and we could share ammo! Didn't think of that. My .45 XD is expensive as hell so I wouldn't mind sharing the expenses.
I almost bought the PK 380 before I picked up my XDm 9... but I still want to get one for CC at some point.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I've had a P22 for quite a while now and I think it's great. It is MUCH smaller than I expected but fits my hands well. Accurate and reliable, you CAN dry fire the P22 and the Mosquito if you leave the safety on, I do it all the time with no problems.
Around here 380 was tremendously scarce and expensive, hope it's better now but I won't ever buy a 380.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the walther p22 can be a great pistol with proper care n maintence iv used them a few times and never any complaints nice grips n great accuarcy i had a friend who traded his sig 22lr for it

·
Registered
64 Posts
I never owned one but Plan on getting one worst I heard is they are Small for big or better words Large handed folks. other than that they are good guns are you getting a threaded barrel? also Price them against the SWmp22 as they are made by Walther also.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I rented both several times and could not make up my mind and ended up with the Mosquito Sport with the longer barrel & sight radius. the real reason I, got a great deal on one that the guy that had who could not get it to stop having FTFs and only would use bulk box ammo. I cleaned the factory oil out and feed it 300 CCI mini mags and have not had a FTF or FTE. I'm on my 4th, 525 round bulk box of FED. hollow points I do plan on getting a metal mag than thay start showing up at a better price. between me and my 14 year old son it gets a workout

·
Registered
5 Posts
A fun gun to own. A lot cheaper to fire at the range, and the wife likes to plink with it too. If you get the 2010-2011 model, there isn't as much to fix up (from what I've seen after reading the P22 Bible). There is lots of info over at rimfirecentral.com, and waltherforums.com. Also, this year, some new models have come out.

I've shot Blazer exclusively through this gun, and I've only had a single failure to fire, never any feed or ejection issues (these all seem to have been resolved from earlier models). The Blazers are 40 grain, and I can get 525 for $12 locally and it eats them up! The muzzle flash is quite impressive, and as a training gun, it's helped me not flinch or blink when I shoot. I always ask friends that shoot it if they saw the flash. Most don't.

The M22 mentioned earlier was designed by the same guy who designed the P22. I understand it is an excellent buy and well built.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Love mine. The first 1000+ rounds of bulk ammo were indeed problematic, and within that time, even the CCI Mini Mags would sometimes have issues. After that though, smooth as butter and only once in a while do I get FTF or FTE. Other than the initial frustration, I love this gun. Shoot all day and not go broke, easy to handle, shoots where you point it and simple to maintain (though I don't care much for how you're supposed to reinsert the spring on reassembly). If you get one, enjoy!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Love mine. The first 1000+ rounds of bulk ammo were indeed problematic, and within that time, even the CCI Mini Mags would sometimes have issues. After that though, smooth as butter and only once in a while do I get FTF or FTE. Other than the initial frustration, I love this gun. Shoot all day and not go broke, easy to handle, shoots where you point it and simple to maintain (though I don't care much for how you're supposed to reinsert the spring on reassembly). If you get one, enjoy!
The spring is pretty crazy unless you use that plastic rod that came with it.

Do you use it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts