Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had the privilege of shooting both these guns and care to share their thoughts? I've held a 740 and really liked it but have yet to find a PPS.

I've had my eye on the 740 for a while now, but I imagine most people would tell me to get the PPS instead. However, I read on waltherforums where a number of PPS owners are moving to the 740 because despite the sights and cheaper feel, it shoots more comfortably. That plus the price makes it look pretty attractive. So, I thought I'd see if anyone around here has had a similar experience...

Edit: I should add that similarities to the G23 are a plus.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I like the PPS. It is a little thin for me, but that is their selling point, that it IS SLIM. Nice caliber, different size mags for a different size grip. The trigger is far above the T740.

The 740 has a comfortable grip, but I don't like the trigger. If it was a larger handgun, the trigger would be fine. But on one this small, the trigger pull is just akward. Personally, I have warranted issues with Taurus polymer handguns, especially on these new subcompacts, I wouldn't own one or want my family to carry one, (or someone trying to save my life with one). But there will be far more people out there that will tell you they are better than sliced bread. Just my opinion after several bad experiences.

Definitely not anything like the G23. It's much thicker (but you get double the ammo), and the bore axis is very different that both others. They are so different from the Glock I don't see how you could put it in the mix for comparison?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.

Regarding the Glock comparison, I wasn't referring to size (it being thicker is why I'm looking at these other two in the first place). I just noticed there are similarities to the Glock (field stripping, trigger safety, etc), and wondered if there were any others like trigger pull and maybe grip angle. It wasn't a "versus" comparison as much as seeing if one might feel more familiar during practice, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hands down, if it were me I would go with the PPS-40, it will be my next pistol purchase. Of course this is my opinion only, I have not shot either but I have held both and the PPS felt much better in my hands. Also, the PPS has an extremely thin profile...especially considering that it comes in a 9mm and .40.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have no freaking clue why the Taurus was chosen to be gun of the year by the NRA. It really is just a PPS clone with no sight options and a lesser trigger. It is cheap, and there's absolutely something to be said for that; poor people need guns too. But that's no reason to hand out prizes for innovation.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice pictures, thanks!

The PPS sounds like a good pistol. Can't wait to get my hands on one to try to see how I like it compared to the Taurus. I don't think I'll let the Taurus being "cheaper" deter me; that almost feels like comparing a Kimber to an XD or Glock. (I'm by no means comparing a Taurus to an XD and Glock, just making the point that cheaper doesn't necessarily mean less reliable.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts