Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I had purchased a Kahr PM40 around 4th of July and had a less than positive experience with it. I was so dissatisfied with it I took it back 24 hours later and received a full refund. But since then I have really been doing my homework on a small, lightweight, concealed carry gun. Low and behold after hours upon hours of research I found what I wanted and made the purchase today and took her to the range.

Walther PPS 9mm was the choice and I couldn't be any more happy with my decision. And what do ya know, I didn't have a single problem with it for over 300 rounds (unlike the Kahr) without a "it's not reliable until after 200 round break in" story either.

The trigger on this thing reminds me of a Glock or Springfield trigger. Meaning that its a striker fire without the long pull of some of the other smaller carry guns that I was looking at. Can I say freaking accurate!! With only a 3.2" barrel this thing is unreal on the accuracy scale. After I had fired a hundred rounds or so it was time to start doing malfunction drills.

Type 1 (FTF) and 3 (Double Feed) malfunctions were nothing new but upon setting it up for a Type 2 (Failure To Load) I noticed something that I didn't catch before. The ejection port is cut at an angle. If you look at the picture with my pinky finger in it you will see what I'm talking about. This makes it very hard for this particular weapon to have a failure to eject.

A couple of things that I don't like about this gun. First thing is the slide lock release button is hard to activate. It's very small and I'm sure it will be hard to find an extended slide lock release for this weapon. Also, the magazines are slim but the base of them are chunky, sharp and bind up in your pocket if you carry one spare. Magazine release is very different from most other firearms but after lot's of practice and training I know I can overcome.

I usually carry a Springfield XDSC 40 and have thrown some pics in to compare. You will see that the Walther isn't all that much shorter than the Springfield but the width is where it makes up for it's length. Very slim and light and extremely easy to conceal. It was a little pricey for my taste but it didn't stop me from purchasing it. They only come with one magazine and new ones cost about $50.00. I happened to get lucky and they threw in a spare magazine for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I had the PPS in 40, no complaints with gun. I thought the trigger a little gritty. I traded it for my springfield sc 40. I like the xd better. Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Congrats on the PPS, the slide will loosen up as time goes by, my PPS has a few years age on it and the release is easy. Also just keep shooting it and the mag release also gets easier to deal with. I have only had problems with Hornady CD in my PPS, the little rubber tip hangs on the feed ramp(plus the CD is a poor choice for SD IMO).
Good luck with the PPS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts