Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The video below is well done, and states the pro's and con's of each. The problem is, those pro's and con's are so slight between the two. There isn't a clear winner, at least not for me that is. I'm having a hard time trying to decide which one I want! And it's driving me kind of up the wall. And no, I don't want to buy both. Well, I do, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Sp wich of these two would you go for? Why? Anyone here have the Walther PPQ? How have your impressions of it held up? Any issues? What factor(s) would you use to decide on either? Please discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOXb9m34CTc

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well I haven't ever heard a bad thing about the vp9 yet... Only thing I've heard bad is there isn't a VP40... Yet;)

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Video?

I have the PPQ. I can't say it's my favorite gun in the world, but I do like it. My only gripe with is that they made it too tall. If you could slap a Glock 19 slide on top of a PPQ it would be the best gun ever. Ok, well I lied, my only other gripe, and a small one, is that the slide release sticks out too much, but I think most people probably like that.

The trigger is very good. Some people bitch about the take up on the PPQ, but it's perfect IMO. I was taught to take up the slack on the press out, and I have found that hard to do one some guns with very short and light take up. Once you get that out of the way the break is crisp and the reset is short.

I'm still a little skeptical about the VP9 because it looks like HK made it even taller than the PPQ. I haven't seen them side by side yet though.

Also you have your choice of mag release styles with the PPQ.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I own a Walther PPQ 9MM for over a couple years now. It is a terrific pistol and has more five star reviews than any pistol I have ever seen at the various vendors including Buds and Grabagun. My PPQ always goes with me to the range along with one of my SIG P226s and my HK P30LS.

With the changeable backstraps it is hard to imagine that the PPQ would not fit 95 percent of shooters just fine.

However I did recently find a VP9 at a great price so I ordered one and it is at my FFL now according to Fedex anyhow.

I bought the VP9 because in addition to being a HUGE SIG fan I also dig HKs. Not only do I want to see how it compares to my PPQ but also to my 9MM P30LS. I figure if for some reason if I don't dig the VP9 I could sell it for minimal if any loss but I certainly not expecting that to happen.

IMO most likely you would be perfectly happy with either the PPQ or the VP9. The PPQ does have the advantage of weighing less and being smaller in length and height that the VP9 if that would matter to you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Both are interesting, but I would just go buy a Sig P226 and be done with the drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
Never owned a PPQ but did shoot a friends PPQ a few times. It was accurate but it had more kick than any other 9mm pistol I've ever tried. I also felt that the trigger was a bit too light. As for the VP9, i have 2 now after shooting my first one and sold my Glock 19 & 17. Very accurate, amazing ergo's, very nice trigger. Its so easy to shoot well and so fun to shoot. Its the best semi auto I've ever had.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Not buying an HK because HKs are German and nazis are bad.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Never owned a PPQ but did shoot a friends PPQ a few times. It was accurate but it had more kick than any other 9mm pistol I've ever tried. I also felt that the trigger was a bit too light. As for the VP9, i have 2 now after shooting my first one and sold my Glock 19 & 17. Very accurate, amazing ergo's, very nice trigger. Its so easy to shoot well and so fun to shoot. Its the best semi auto I've ever had.
You found 2 already?

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
One from Gunbroker and one from Top Gun supply.
That is awesome! Congrats! I'm still waiting for the first one to roll into the lgs.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The video below is well done, and states the pro's and con's of each. The problem is, those pro's and con's are so slight between the two. There isn't a clear winner, at least not for me that is. I'm having a hard time trying to decide which one I want! And it's driving me kind of up the wall. And no, I don't want to buy both. Well, I do, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Sp wich of these two would you go for? Why? Anyone here have the Walther PPQ? How have your impressions of it held up? Any issues? What factor(s) would you use to decide on either? Please discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOXb9m34CTc
I sold my PPQ Tuesday night. I found the gun to be too snappy.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
If you handload or plan to start, the PPQ. It will allow you to load all bullet types like the poly-coated lead bullets that are becoming increasingly more popular.

The VP9 appears to be a good pistol, but regarding those that can always find something to bitch about, LCIs, grip safeties, etc. The Slide release on the right side of the VP9 kinda looks like the designers got tired at the end and just slapped that bulbous baby on there. I would have thought HK would be much more inventive in creating an ambi slide release, or just made the standard reversible for lefties. Not that an ambi is a bad thing, but the one on the right side sure looks out of place on the VP9. Then of course, there's the polygonal bore thing which makes the pistol best suited to those who never plan to take up handloading. ;)

·
Administrator
16,945 Posts
And as has been said before... HK places no restrictions on shooting lead cast from their barrels.

I personally do find it odd HK mismatched the slide lock levers. Not sure why they didn't just keep what they had like their P30 and the PPQ does. Better for me because I'm a lefty. It does look a bit odd.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you handload or plan to start, the PPQ. It will allow you to load all bullet types like the poly-coated lead bullets that are becoming increasingly more popular.

The VP9 appears to be a good pistol, but regarding those that can always find something to bitch about, LCIs, grip safeties, etc. The Slide release on the right side of the VP9 kinda looks like the designers got tired at the end and just slapped that bulbous baby on there. I would have thought HK would be much more inventive in creating an ambi slide release, or just made the standard reversible for lefties. Not that an ambi is a bad thing, but the one on the right side sure looks out of place on the VP9. ;)
I also am amazed that HK did such a poor job designing the slide release levers. That one on the right looks like something that belongs on a Taurus pistol. Four years in the making, supposedly, and that's the best you can do HK? :roll:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I also am amazed that HK did such a poor job designing the slide release levers. That one on the right looks like something that belongs on a Taurus pistol. Four years in the making, supposedly, and that's the best you can do HK? :roll:
When i held the gun it didn't seem as ergonomically perfect as the P-30 either. It still felt good though. I also didn't see any higher quality (other than the guide rod) that it had over the PPQ. The PPQ also had longer paddle mag release which may make a difference depending on what you like.

·
Administrator
16,945 Posts
No actually, that is the right one... the one on the left is the new one. The long one on the right is the same one on all HKs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No actually, that is the right one... the one on the left is the new one. The long one on the right is the same one on all HKs.
No. The one on the right side of the VP9 is some new cheap design. Nothing like the one on my P30LS in the picture below that looks typical HK HEAVY DUTY. Also note how the frame is cut out for the slide release levers on the P30/P30L - much classier. I would be ecstatic if the VP9 had the same. Cost cutting I guess, possibly on purpose to distinguish from the HK P series? Still it did not keep me from buying a VP9 but I still complain about it and would have happily paid another $13.50 for a better slide release lever.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts