Springfield XD Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay....so I was at walmart last night to pick a few boxes of 9mm WWB for my XD9 since I planned on hitting the range this weekend. While I'm BS'ing with the wife while we pay for it, I half-ass notice that the goober behind the counter is writing down my name, address, driver's license number, brand, type, and quantity of ammo.......actually scribbling with a ballpoint pen and paper.

Here's what really pisses me off!!..........I didn't think to put a big huge screeching halt to the whole thing and demand they explain WTF they were doing. I guess I was just wrapped up in conversation at the time.....typical.

Anyway, when I bought a couple rifles in the past from them, I knew they had a federal requirement to log the sale of the gun into "the book." They are using the same book to log what appears to be pistol ammo sales too.

This has "paranoid, CYA, gun control" written all over it. Since when did walmart give a rat's ass about ammo sales as long as you were of proper age?

Anyway, this got me all worked up last night, just sittin' at home, sipping on a coffee, and blood at full-boil. Then I got to thinking.........whenever I buy bulk ammo online from CTD or Cabelas, they keep records of ammo sales (as well as everything else) too. And some online merchants actually require you to fax them a copy of your license before they'll sell to you.

So my real question here is:

Should I take this to the next level and send letters to folks like NRA-ILA, Maryland Licensed Firearms Dealers Association, FTC, Maryland State Attorney Generals Office, etc? I actually thought about taking this up with the store manager, but I would fully expect to be gaffed off relatively quickly.

What ya's think about this? I know there a couple of states that actually require this "logging" of the ammo sales, but at least presently, the People's Repuplic of Maryland does not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You say he was scribbling that info on a piece of paper? Are they required to log ammo purchases? If not, you might be getting noted as a person who has 9mm someone might want to relieve you of. Got the name, got the address... I'd check to verify that they need to log ammo purchases to clarify the situation for your peace of mind. If you already know, I apologize for not getting that out of your posting.

I'm careful now that a buddy of mine, who ran an oil change place, ended up having a guy on his crew who noted name/address of people with nice car stereos when they came in for an oil change. This guy's friends would visit the address and get the car stereo sometime after that.

I'm paranoid about my info anymore. I found out that the chatty friendly wife of my transfer FFL guy lets people who work at the same place I do know that I had been in recently to pick something up when they are there getting their stuff. She's just making conversation, and it's probably not hurting anything, but I will pay more for transfers now because I plan to get them done by a more professional outfit. :x

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The mail order dealers have to know that they are not selling to under-age people. While certainly not foolproof, requiring a copy of your license is about the best way they have.

But, on the larger scale, do you really believe that government and law enforcement agencies could not, currently, track down who has firearms and ammo? There are so many records available, not the least of which are fed/state forms that must be completed to buy a firearm, the info on file for CCW permits, and the real biggie, credit card sales info, that I believe said agencies could determine the majority of persons who might be considered a "threat" under certain circumstances. While gun registration, and antics such as ammo "registration" at Wal-Mart might make things easier, it's not impossible now.

No, I'm not in favor of any additional type of "registration" or control, because I don't think it does any good and is anti-democratic, but, I also believe it's only a matter of time :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snake....

All good points and I've actually taken all that into consideration. I guess my real sore spot here is with the "record keeping" itself. If walmart can plug your drivers license info into the register/computer when you buy a long-gun from them, why can't they at least use the same mechanism for the ammo?

Better yet, the sale alone should suffice as a valid record in the system they use........I mean if they input your drivers license number into the cash register/computer, why can't that be the end of it? Why do they have to hand write it into a three ring binder logbook?

Even if the logbook thing were okay, what about the physical controls over the contents within?? I mean, what would stop some loser bunny hugging gun grabbing employee (I know, I'm harsh) from xeroxing a few pages outta the "logbook" and providing them to someone/anyone for whatever reason(s)?

In my mind, it's just a massive breach of privacy rights.

BUT, you're right.......there's so much data out there on us *legal* gun-owners that this all might just be a moot issue. I just don't like the idea of some cheap-ass makeshift handwritten logbook that nobody protects from misuse. It's my understanding that even FFLs have to secure their logbooks. I guess the paradox here is that walmart is also an FFL. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I agree, it really does sound like a local issue. I'm not even asked for ANY identification here in central Virginia, but it's been a long time since I've been mistaken for being "underage". I think I'd ask the store manager about it--because yes, the information could be misused.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My dad and I went to wally world yesterday and bought a 1000 rnds of 9mm WWB to split. They didn't even ask for ID, they only asked the usual is this for a handgun? Then on the way out they were checking receipts at the door(due to the holiday overload I am sure) and they didn't even look in our bags to confirm that is what we had, just put a yellow checkmark on the receipt and said "have a nice day".

I would defiantely contact the manager and see what was up with the guy writing down your info.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I went to Walmart on Wednesday because I needed a new cell phone and they had the best deal on a phone there (Motorola Razr...$68.----$215 if from Cingular directly).

I went over the the sporting goods department to see what kind of ammo they had in stock....it's always hit or miss there.

To my dismay, they had NO AMMO AT ALL! They no longer sell ammo in that store (Delray Beach, Florida).

I hope they still have it at the Palm Beach (or was it Lake Worth) store like SoFlo had told me a while back.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
209 Posts
In K-K-Kalifornia, you are required to provide all info along with a thumbprint to purchase ammo per state law. I hate kalifornia's racist and intrusive gun laws.
Do you have a reference for that law? I have never heard of it or experienced it. I hate to raise the BS flag, but unless that is a new law that just recently slipped through the cracks, then sorry, the flag is going up. AFAIK the only similar law is that pistol ammo can not be sold to anyone under 21. I have never been asked for ID for ammo sales.

I hate the laws too... but how are they "racist"?

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's funny because it's the same way here in the PRNJ. Any handgun ammo sales must be recorded and I believe they send a copy to the state police. At least if you buy hollow points I believe they are required to send in to the state police. I just came back from Pa and I purchased some WWB from WalMart. No questions asked. Ammo in hand. Cash in the register. The way things should be. Same way at the gunshow I went to a couple months back in PA. I really need to just move across the border.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wish i had your problem. The walmarts here in canada do not sell handgun ammo at all only ammo for shotguns and rifles you have to go to a gun store for pistol ammo and pay there high prices.Because of our damm goverment we have to give them our name and more info that if fell in the wrong hands someone could find were you live and steal your guns. Just remember when something like this happens again and your upset just think of us north of the border and thank god im an american. later fellow xd owners!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I just bought some winchester white box and some federal 180gr FMJ from my local walmart this morning. The guy didnt even ask my age, let alone look at my ID. I didnt even have to have it walked out or anything. He ran it up, I ran through my card, he stapled the bag, and I walked out with it. Was that simple. Total purchase time something like 8-10 minutes. It took me less than 15 minutes from when I pulled into the parking lot to when I left.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They ID sometimes at Walmart around here, but sometimes they don't. I've never seen them writing anything down.

Not to sound like an ass, but it's your fault they got the info. If the law is just that you have to be 18 to buy the ammo, and they ID'd you, all that needed to be done is you flash your ID to the guy/gal. Don't take your hand off of it. They have no need to physically take the ID to check the age on it. I don't even take mine out of my wallet, I just show it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might be right about the thumbprint not being required by state law, having only purchased ammo in Los Angeles County it might be county requirement. I have been fingerprinted in Sporting goods stores, Gun shops and Shooting ranges, even for range-only reloads. I was told by the cashier that this was a state regulation, but they might have been mistaken. I do know that LA city proper has banned the sale of "subcompact" handguns, anything that is less than a certain size cannot be sold, a snubnose .38 a bryco 22 and the like. Although this is a city ban and you can still purchase them in pasadena, burbank, and other suburbs.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.