Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought some guns and ammo from Wallie-world over the years. However, over the last few years many of the regular and Super-Walmarts around metro Atlanta have stopped stocking guns for sale in the stores and seem to be cutting back on the types and quantity of ammo that they carry as well. The sporting goods departments seem to be shrinking in general as well, and many of the folks working in the sporting goods sections often know very little about the guns and/or ammo that they do carry. The closest notable exception is the Super Walmart in Cartersville, GA. Maybe Walmart is moving towards the Target store model (none of the Target stores around here seem to have any guns or ammo and have very limited sporting goods sections.)

Are you guys seeing the same trends where you live?

Alchemist77

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Target used to be ok with regard to rifles. Bought my first .30-30 from Target in the 80's. Would be sad to see Walmart go that way.:( So far, my normal Walmart has stayed the same, even after the remodel. The one in the next town has said they will eliminate all guns and ammo after they remodel next year.:(

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Around where I'm at there hasn't been any change in the number of guns or ammo that Wal Mart sells. If anything actually, a couple around here seem to have a better selection of ammo than they have before. At least one near me used to only have the most basic rifle and pistol calibers (30-30, 30-06, 270, 45acp, 40s&w, 9mm etc.) and now they have most calibers, and from a number of manufacturers as well. Same thing with rifles as well, they used to only carry pump or break action shottys and bolt or lever rifles. Now they have semi autos too.

I don't know if its true or not, but I HEARD that its up to the store manager to decide what/if that particular store carries as far as guns and ammo. It could simply be that the store managers in your area aren't especially gun friendly. Like I said, that is just what I heard and might not be true.

As far as the people that work in the sporting goods section not knowing a whole lot, I get the impression that they don't make a lot of effort to find really qualified people to work in certain sections of their stores. In other words, if a wally world has a available position in the sporting goods section, then the next guy or girl hired is gonna work in the sporting goods section, regardless of what they know about it. Same with electronics, or automotives, etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember when Howards stores (kinda like Walmart many moons ago) carried guns and it was normal (my first gun... single shot H&R 20ga came from Howards around 1980). Even Sears stores at the mall (gasp !) sold long-guns and ammo when I was a kid in the early 80's. Even remember seeing bulk shotgun ammo for sale at a SAM's club warehouse when they first starting popping up. Certainly there's no problem with specialized gun shops and outdoors stores and I'm glad those guys are around with their expertise, but they just can't compete with the purchasing volume of chains like Walmart when it comes to ammo and normal firearms, and I think both have their place.

So, I hate to see guns and ammor relegated to "those dangerous war-mongering blood thirsty" gun stores and gun shows full of "dangerous militia members and criminals", as the news media and liberal left would call them. Seems to be a cultural trend towards marginalizing gun ownership, gun owners, hunters and sportsmen (and women) in general.

Alchemist77

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I'm feeling like some kind of snob. I'd rather pay 20% more to a locally owned/operated retailer than a corporate owned store that purchase their products, primarily from China, than from American made companies that provide fellow citizens jobs. I know that Wal-Mart is the largest corporation (most profitable) in the world and it has a large American employment, but it also is the largest importer of Chinese products.
If we Americans were honestly concerned about the economy, we would never buy from such a corporation. We might even consider Gm and Ford as violating companies. It seems that we have become a "service only" country. I use to think that the "service only" meant we are all becoming servants (bag-handlers, waters/waitresses, taxi drivers, etc.,,,). In a sense, we are. The "Made in America" tags are wearing off.
Most American products are being produced with American technology in foreign countries, while the blue collar workers are becoming government (tax-payers', or union) dependents. This is happening because the citizens are becoming more accepting of government subsidies for those that are either too lazy work or feel like they have deserved their subsides by being born American.
From my limited experience with Wal-Mart employees, they are only one step (if that) away from that welfare-recipient level.
I also know that most, if not all, American made products have many of their components made in China, or elsewhere. About the only thing that we produce here, and consume here is electricity from coal generated generators. Obama wants to bankrupt those coal companies.

"Tomorrow hopes that we have learned from yesterday" John Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I have bought some guns and ammo from Wallie-world over the years. However, over the last few years many of the regular and Super-Walmarts around metro Atlanta have stopped stocking guns for sale in the stores and seem to be cutting back on the types and quantity of ammo that they carry as well. The sporting goods departments seem to be shrinking in general as well, and many of the folks working in the sporting goods sections often know very little about the guns and/or ammo that they do carry. The closest notable exception is the Super Walmart in Cartersville, GA. Maybe Walmart is moving towards the Target store model (none of the Target stores around here seem to have any guns or ammo and have very limited sporting goods sections.)

Are you guys seeing the same trends where you live?

Alchemist77
WalMart is trying to move to a complete self-help store. The same thing is happening with the sewing depts, for example.

I buy as little gun-related stuff from WalMart as possible since they cut a deal with the devil, oh, I mean Mayor Bloomberg.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I'd rather pay 20% more to a locally owned/operated retailer than a corporate owned store that purchase their products, primarily from China,
And all the people said, "Amen".

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm feeling like some kind of snob. I'd rather pay 20% more to a locally owned/operated retailer than a corporate owned store that purchase their products, primarily from China.....
Alot of truth in your observations. As a nation, we are losing alot of our technical, educational, and industrial advantages because we have on-average become "fat and happy" as a culture. Culture has shifted from "I'm willing to work hard to get it" to " I deserve it, and someone else should give it to me." The up-and-coming countries like China, India, Mexico, and other places are still in the "I'm willing to work very hard" mode, and we are letting them do alot of our work for us. Unfortunately, we are losing the skills and the willingness to do alot of these things ourselves in the current and future generations.

Never-the-less we must recognize that we truly are moving into a global economy, and companies large and small are having to compete on larger economic and geographical scales now in order to survive. We may not like it or want it that way, but it is reality. It is noble to be willing to spend extra money for the same goods or services just to support the local folks, because the local folks "r us". However, we may not be able to afford that luxury in the economy of the present and future, especially when some (but not all) of those local folks may be using the proceeds from the "local premium" price difference to pad their bank accounts and pay for their caddy's, rather than just trying to survive like the rest of us.

So, if I can get the same ammo or gun (thereby taking the "foreign produced" argument out of the decision) a good bit cheaper at a chain store than at a local specialty shop, economic reality may dictate that I buy it from the chain store unless I need the expertise of that specialty shop in order to make the best purchase and am willing to pay the premium to access that expertise. One might argue that if we choose the chain store too often, we will no longer have the specialty store around when we need them. However, the tremendous access to information and people through the internet significantly enhances our ability to learn, and decreases our dependence on many "local" things.

Just a few thoughts....

Alchemist77

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
A local Wal-Mart employee told me that the one store we happened to be in at the time was applying for a liquor license. In DE at least, you can't sell liquor and guns in the same store.
There are two Walmarts in DE that still carry firearms, Camden and Seaford, both on the edge of the more rural sections of the state.
Wal-Mart brand liquor.....that should be good stuff:confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
All of the Walmarts around here do not sell firearms at all anymore. Just in the last year they've cut it out completely. Along with all the fabric sections. I probably have 9 walmarts within 70 miles of here and they are all the same. Some do still have ammo though.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
If you look at the transaction time for a firearm, it simply doesn't pay for WalMart. They have to have someone there in the firearms dept. Those employees have to be trained in a very arduous and unforgiving process, and WalMart agreed to video all gun sales. The transaction costs just make it unprofitable.

They really don't normally carry enough guns to keep an employee busy with it anyway.

Same thing for fabric sales where the fabric has to be measured, cut, takes a lot of floorspace.

The funny thing is that Bloomberg's group thought they were getting a lot from WalMart's concessions. Obviously WalMart already knew they wanted to stop selling guns as widely as they were.

·
Registered
809 Posts
well wher i live the walmart sporting good still a good size but the gun department is smaller less rifle and shotguns but still carry a lot of ammo

·
Registered
52 Posts
when i worked at walmart 2 years ago, the old man that had worked in the sporting goods for like 15 years told me they were doing away with it period. Now current day the only thing that mine sells is SOME WWB, Blazer, and about 3 muzzleloaders every year. he told me that as soon as the guns sold in the case, they were done.

my grandfather works for walmart driving a semi, and he also told me this about 2 years ago, so dont plan on wally world doing anything gun related soon. I was in there the other day and asked the older lady if they even get ammo. She said that its hardly ever and even if they do its a box here and there. My only hope is to keep making gander mtn price match lol.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Our walmart has shrunk in terms of sporting goods and guns. The one thing that pisses me off is that they won't price match on ammo. Or at least that's what one walmart associate told me.

I think she was FOS.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
my walmarts have at least 20+ rifles in the cases and tons of ammo some in the case some out for you to grab. has not changed one bit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts